Amazon SRX MRC Shocks ordered today.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rdgfx3
  • 2 Post By conedoctor
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Amazon SRX MRC Shocks ordered today. in Cadillac SRX Forums; I just couldn't take the horrible ride any more. These shocks have been worn out for the last 20,000 miles. ...
    rdgfx3 Guest

Exclamation Amazon SRX MRC Shocks ordered today.

I just couldn't take the horrible ride any more. These shocks have been worn out for the last 20,000 miles. I ordered new MRCs all around. Price delivered is $1818.94. Two day delivery. Amazon.
    What other suspension items will I find trashed/damaged under there when my mechanic ( me ) gets under there? Oh, I just can't wait

I know already that I have a clunk that I'm calling a loose caliper. I call it a loose caliper...from the drivers seat. I don't know what the clunk really is. lol. I'll be finding out in two days!
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Amazon SRX MRC Shocks ordered today.

Nice to see a guy just fixing it right and buying the correct parts.

The clunk my be a few things but start with the shock isolator since you will be there anyway, top of the front shocks.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Remember to take pictures for us

rdgfx3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    Nice to see a guy just fixing it right and buying the correct parts.

The clunk my be a few things but start with the shock isolator since you will be there anyway, top of the front shocks.
    I'll check out the shock isolator for sure. It's a good idea to replace your isolators when replacing struts/cartridges. The clunk happens when I hit the brakes. It's just been the last couple of times I've driven it or I would have looked at it sooner.

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

Possibly swaybar end links, aor control arm bushings as well. I thought I was having issues with shocks, but I'm pretty sure if it was the shocks it would be giving me some sort of warning on the info center. So this summer Im replacing LCA's and sway bar end links and I'll see if thumping goes away.

barrywilliams991 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX V8 AWD FE3

I ordered the shocks from Amazon as well about 3 months ago. Just got around to having them installed at a local shop for $500 (don't have good health so I couldn't do it myself). I did the upper ball joints at the same time since they are relatively inexpensive. I used the Moog Problem Solver brand. I did not have an identifiable issue but there was a clunk in the left side at full left lock. Since it would cost a bunch to have the ball joints done if they failed later and the upper control arms have gotta come out for the struts anyway, it seemed a no-brainer. I did not test to see if the full-lock clunk was gone but I will.

Now, I need to replace the ride leveling compressor. I bought a used one that carries a 1 year guarantee for $245 shipped. I would have gotten a new one at $365 but the friggin shipping and handling was an astounding $95! Buy.com sells it with for $425 + 15 shipping for crap sakes! Bought the compressor through Automotix which is a used parts source consolidator. They claim all items a tested and cleaned so I am hoping I will have a good result.

The fronts were leaking really badly and I am surprised they worked enough to prevent the system from throwing an error. The rears were definitely gone. 4 to 5 oscillations after going over a speed bump and hitting the suspension stops with 40 lbs of groceries in the rear were dead giveaways.

The driving is much better now but still a bit harsher than a luxury ride. I also noticed a poor on-center feel on the freeway as I was constantly chasing the nose of the car. I did discover, however, that the tires are 10+ lbs over inflated for some reason. Don't know if the alignment guys fattened them up for the post-install alignment. I have adjusted the air pressure and I plan to road test it again after I have the load leveling comp installed. I experienced overly harsh ride and wandering before right after I got the car. I was fooling around with the computer and I was shocked to find the tires were inflated to 55 - 60 lbs! I made the dealer replace to to rears because they were shot and evidently the monkeys that did the work forgot to gauge the tires after they mounted them. I cannot figure out why the fronts were over inflated as they should not have been taken off.

I have Continentals on the front but I am stuck with Nexens on the rear. They are pretty well rated so I am not worried about the quality but they are real noisy. I may be replacing the darned things sooner than I had hoped as I ran over what appeared to be some sort of brick at about 60 mph a couple of days ago. I am keeping an eye on the right rear for any sign of bulging in the tread signaling a damaged belt or separation of the tread.

I have noticed (before and after) a clunk in the rear end when I am pulling out of my driveway after the car has been sitting a few days in the garage. I am thinking it is bladders of the rear shocks binding on the tubes because they aren't inflated. The mechanic said the rear shock bladders had cuts in them. Likely an age-related problem coupled with no inflation. Of course, the clunk could be bushings too. Wish I had the money to replace all of the suspension rubber.

rdgfx3 Guest

I have the two rear shocks. Amazon sent an email telling me of a delay on the two front shocks. Tuesday was the day they are expected to arrive. Tracking shows they will be here Monday.
    Before I can start, I have to finish my 93 MR2 Turbo so I have something to drive. I broke off a bolt on the T-belt tensioner. It's been down for a few days. Maybe I can finish it today. Or at least get the bolt extracted. I may have to pull the engine to get it extracted. It's about 8-12 inches from the strut tower so it's a little hard to access.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash_89 View Post
    ... I thought I was having issues with shocks, but I'm pretty sure if it was the shocks it would be giving me some sort of warning on the info center. So this summer Im replacing LCA's and sway bar end links and I'll see if thumping goes away.
    I got a warning at ai exactly 140,000 miles that came up every time. Oh what was it? If I remember it was "service traction control" and a couple of other messages. At exactly 145,000 miles the warnings stopped appearing and haven't been back. Not a peep. The ride sure didn't improve, though. I'm at a 148,500 right now. Kinda like GM programmed the warning in to turn on at that time and shut off at that time. Sounds about right.

I had a thump from the rear at around 80,000 milesb that turned out to be a bushing in the rear suspension.The part was about $40.00 and Massey Cadillac installed it for (GET READY FOR THIS) $50.00. Blew my mind that they didn't charge me a full hour of labor.

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had a front right MRC strut go out with 38K on it, 45 now. About 18 months ago. It just started bottoming out on speed bumps. I ordered it from a online cadillac parts store, about $600 shipped. Goes on just like any shock, with the exception of the wire clip on top. Was charged $120.00 to install at a shock place.

http://cadillacpartsonline.net shows them at $505 plus $50 for shipping -- I did not get them from there, I cant remember where I got them from.

rdgfx3 Guest

Done. I did the front first ( sorry, no pics. I didn't think about it until later) and wish I had gotten a puller to seperate the yoke from the .. uh... other thing. After a while I went to Auto Zone and borrowed theirs. If I had done that before I started, I could have knocked about 6 hours and 7437 cuss words off the job. The right front was nasty nasty nasty. The left front was dry.
    I had the two rear done in about 3 hours. Very easy.

Am I glad I did it? Spending $1800.00 +?

Yes. Absolutely.

The car had been a mind numbing, chassis crashing nightmare to ride in the past 20-25,000 miles. I freakin' hated it.
    It is so much better now and no complaints from the DIC either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.