Dealer Didnt Disclose Rear End Damage on 2004 AWD SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Dealer Didnt Disclose Rear End Damage on 2004 AWD SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; I am mostly venting and am mad as hell as I type this. I bought a certified pre-owned 2004 Cadillac ...
    dalxandr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Angry Dealer Didnt Disclose Rear End Damage on 2004 AWD SRX

I am mostly venting and am mad as hell as I type this.

I bought a certified pre-owned 2004 Cadillac SRX AWD from Crestview Cadillac in Rochester, Mi in September 2006. The lower rear tailgate is now rusting and the paint is bubbling on the lower left rear passenger side.

I took it to a collision shop and the tech told me it would be best to replace the entire rear lift gate to the tune of $1400 instead of just patching the two rusting spots which are now rusting through completely. Water gets inside the liftgate and drains out from inside the cavity between the interior plastic wall and the metal when I open it.

The tech tells me he has an SRX himself, has worked on several and has never seen rust like mine. It is unique to my vehicle in his eyes. He asks me if the car has been in an accident before. I have never been in an accident in this vehicle so that got me really curious and concerned. Before I initially bought the vehicle I ran a CARFAX report and nothing negative appeared so I bought the vehicle.

Well, here it is now 2013 and 155,000 miles later, I run an AUTOCHECK report (which wasn't around in 2006) and CARFAX and it is now revealed that this vehicle was hit from behind 12/2004. Of course, the dealer NEVER revealed this during the purchase.

I haven't contacted the dealer just yet but I wanted opinions on if my thinking is right that the dealer should assist with some of the cost of repair regardless of the age or mileage or am I SOL?

I really do not think I will be purchasing another Cadillac in the near future used or otherwise if this is what "certified pre-owned gets ya.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Dealer Didnt Disclose Rear End Damage on 2004 AWD SRX

Blame the dealer not Cadillac.

Did you have it inspected by a 3rd party before you bought it?

You assume the dealer knew about the damage, if you didn't find it maybe they did not either?

I think you are on your own, now how long is the corrosion warranty on these, maybe you can go that way.

dalxandr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I do blame the dealer but all it takes is one really bad experience with a dealer to sour you to the brand.

No, I guess I naively thought a 3rd party inspection was not needed. Here is what "certified pre-owned" is supposed to get you per Cadillac's on Website;

"The Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty adds an additional 2 years or 50,000 miles to the factory 4-year/50,000-mile Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty. That’s 6 years or 100,000 miles of worry-free protection on every Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, whichever comes first."

172 Point Inspection
    "Each Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned vehicle comes with the full assurance that it meets Cadillac's stringent standards for mechanical condition and appearance standards set with Cadillac's 172-point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning process. Ultimately, you’ll have complete confidence that your Pre-Owned Cadillac drives as immaculately as it looks."

Why wouldn't the dealer know about the damage? I assume they have access to more behind the scenes data on the used vehicles they buy at auction than any average joe.

I am pretty sure I am out of warranty on this rust issue.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

In most places it is simply illegal to sell a vehicle without declaring that it was involved in an accident. If the dealer didn't know, they should have known. I would place fault on them, but you should probably check with the law in your area.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    I thought rust through was covered for 10 years unlimited miles. I could be mistaken though those are just the numbers that popped into my head.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Corrosion rust-through warranties only apply to the original panels and paint, not repaired ones.

PJ

Yes but it was sold as undamaged so they should hold the coverage, the dealer my get in the middle with GM but not the OP's problem.

They sold him a good vehicle that failed, he paid for the inspection and they signed off on it being good, he may have a chance here.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dalxandr View Post
    I am mostly venting and am mad as hell as I type this.

I bought a certified pre-owned 2004 Cadillac SRX AWD from Crestview Cadillac in Rochester, Mi in September 2006. The lower rear tailgate is now rusting and the paint is bubbling on the lower left rear passenger side.

I took it to a collision shop and the tech told me it would be best to replace the entire rear lift gate to the tune of $1400 instead of just patching the two rusting spots which are now rusting through completely. Water gets inside the liftgate and drains out from inside the cavity between the interior plastic wall and the metal when I open it.

The tech tells me he has an SRX himself, has worked on several and has never seen rust like mine. It is unique to my vehicle in his eyes. He asks me if the car has been in an accident before. I have never been in an accident in this vehicle so that got me really curious and concerned. Before I initially bought the vehicle I ran a CARFAX report and nothing negative appeared so I bought the vehicle.

Well, here it is now 2013 and 155,000 miles later, I run an AUTOCHECK report (which wasn't around in 2006) and CARFAX and it is now revealed that this vehicle was hit from behind 12/2004. Of course, the dealer NEVER revealed this during the purchase.

I haven't contacted the dealer just yet but I wanted opinions on if my thinking is right that the dealer should assist with some of the cost of repair regardless of the age or mileage or am I SOL?

I really do not think I will be purchasing another Cadillac in the near future used or otherwise if this is what "certified pre-owned gets ya.
    Dalxandr, GM takes comments like this very seriously and I'm sorry you've been having these frustrations with your SRX. If you have lingering frustrations and would like Customer Service to explore the options available to you, please feel free to email me anytime for further assistance. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

so in 2006 when you bought it the Carfax did not show anything but now in 2013 it shows that there was a repair in 2004?

that doesn't sound right to me

also, I'm not sure but maybe the CustCare rep can confirm
    but a CPO vehicle probably cannot have had any body damage in it's history
    (again, not sure about that one)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Unless it wasn't reported until much later...

Ya this could get interesting, I really thing the OP has a claim here. You pay extra for a CPO car and he did not get the extra part.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi all! Our certification standards are listed on the official GM Certified site at http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage. And if you have questions about what the 172-Point Inspection entails, please consult http://www.gmcertified.com/themes/de...list012913.pdf for the extensive checklist.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

This one will be interesting to watch... please keep it updated.

I don't know the law in your state, but in Missouri, it is "Buyer Beware". Unless there are promises made in writing, they did not happen, and don't exist.

This is the problem with flood cars- - -they are often moved to other states - usually states with limited user laws... and sold as undamaged used cars. With "buyer beware", the buyers usually get stuck with the problem car to fend for themselves.

The dealer simply has to claim no knowledge of any damage, at the time they sold the car. Proving otherwise, can be an exercise in futility.

Buying a used car is such a risky thing these days for the buyer!

SRX619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Let's see. A 9 year old vehicle with 155,000 miles in Michigan which paves it's roads with salt in the winter. The vehicle was designed for a 5 year/100,000mile, rust through warranty. You have had it for 7 years and probably put 130,000 of those miles on the car. All of this would seem to put this case outside of all the warranties that you stated. Any claim would likely never stand up in court. Things do wear out and steel does rust so one should expect some of those expenses as any vehicle ages this much. Fortunately Schram auto parts is just up the road from you and they specialize in GM vehicles. They have a number of first gen SRX rear hatches in stock and might even have your color so it won't need painting. Maybe the dealer will work a prorated deal based on your "certified" issue to put the hatch on the car. FYI. I also have owned a couple of different Jeep vehicles with the same rust through warrantly that have lived in salt happy states. They both showed early rust through right after they went through the 100000 point. Amazing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.