SRX 2007 liftgate falling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Wrench
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX 2007 liftgate falling in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi, the electrical liftgate opens normaly , when it reaches to end it falls what is wrong...
    ziad67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

SRX 2007 liftgate falling

Hi, the electrical liftgate opens normaly , when it reaches to end it falls
    what is wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

garfin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Re: SRX 2007 liftgate falling

Can you tell by any mechanical/motor noises if the motor is closing the liftgate or it is, as you say, "falling" as a result of there not being enough support to keep it open? If it's falling without any accompanying mechanical/electrical noises, then my suspicion would be that the struts are worn and are no longer capable of supporting the weight of the liftgate. I can't be sure if there's a parallel, but many 4th Gen Camaros and Firebirds needed to have the 2 struts that supported the rear hatch replaced after a few years. Please keep us posted on what you find.

Best regards,

Elie

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I would guess that the lower end of the strut is loose and slips when the liftgate reaches that certain position.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Here is the scoop from the SM-
    "Circuit/System Description

The power liftgate module (PLM) controls operation of the liftgate latch motor and the liftgate actuator assembly. Under normal conditions the power latch can only be unlatched under power from the PLM through an input from the liftgate handle switch or the remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter, but the liftgate may be manually closed to the primary latched position without the PLM performing the power latch function. The liftgate actuator assembly consists of an actuator drive motor that contains 2 internal hall effect sensors. The drive motor is mated to a gear that is connected to an actuator clutch. When the clutch is engaged the motor rotation is transferred to the clutch gear, intermediate gear, and actuator arm gear. The full open switch is a limit switch mounted on the liftgate actuator assembly along side the actuator arm gear, and will make contact with the cam on the actuator arm gear when the liftgate is near the full open position. The PLM continuously monitors the liftgate location and direction of travel using the 2 hall effect sensors located in the drive motor assembly. The sensors are used to determine when the liftgate has reached the full open and full closed points of travel where the actuator clutch should be disengaged. These positions may vary slightly and must be learned when most liftgate components are serviced."

There are DTCs for it, would narrow down the possibilities.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

ziad67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    Can you tell by any mechanical/motor noises if the motor is closing the liftgate or it is, as you say, "falling" as a result of there not being enough support to keep it open? If it's falling without any accompanying mechanical/electrical noises, then my suspicion would be that the struts are worn and are no longer capable of supporting the weight of the liftgate. I can't be sure if there's a parallel, but many 4th Gen Camaros and Firebirds needed to have the 2 struts that supported the rear hatch replaced after a few years. Please keep us posted on what you find.

Best regards,

Elie
    ok, I have someting to say that:
    the motor is not making any noise during opening.when I hold the door after it open fully and close it electrically ; it closes normally without noise.
    I disengaged both struts, the One which beside the liftgate motor was weak and easy tho compress, the other was very hard to compress, might that be the problem? and what is the advantage of the rod connected to the motor one side and the door on the other side ?

regards

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

I would suspect the struts...

GM just replaced the struts on my 09' because they were failing.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Yeah, in my experience the struts start to weaken significantly within about two years.
    When the motor mechanism lifts the hatch, it disconnects at the top of the travel, and the door just falls.
    You can verify this by just lifting the door manually and releasing it; if it falls, struts.
    These are a real bear to replace, you must tear out most of the interior panels and the taillights to remove the lower mount. The interior panels don't respond well to removal and can be easily broken or loosened to the point they won't re-attach well. One member here did some grinding work on the taillights to simplify the strut replacement ritual, do a search to check it out.

I don't understand your comment on the left-side, right-side struts. You should have a big strut on each side connected to the hatch and directly to the body behind the taillight. A 3rd strut (actually just a rod) is on the left side connecting the hatch to the motor mechanism.

DG
    starnesbl likes this.

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I got to see that motor when running my camera wire, I had to take a second to figure out what it was.

deeami is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Can you help me with Cadillac SRX 2011

My liftgate control module and pump were all ruined by the water leak.I've just purchased the new ones.

I heard that we have to install some software together with replacing the new one
    Is that right ?

thank you so much!

Pls. ignore PM, programming is necessary for the module. I would suggest installing both parts without hooking up the connectors and then go to dealer for programming. They might charge 2 hrs.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

deeami your in the wrong forum you need to go to the 2nd generation SRX for 2011

deeami is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

@glake89 : thank you!..However, I need to pay 10000$ membership to have my car repaired by the dealer
    Do you know any device that we can use to program it ourselves ?

@orandaberg : I think the experiences are the most important thing .thanks

dee, what do you mean you have to pay for a membership to a dealer? Where do you live, in hell? Any GM dealer can do it.

Any one with a TechII scan tool and software can do the programming. For less than 10 grand you could buy your own.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.