First Gen SRX complete LED conversion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, First Gen SRX complete LED conversion in Cadillac SRX Forums; Seeing all of the LED talk in here lately, I thought I'd make a thread to help out those who ...
    azblksrx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac SRX AWD

First Gen SRX complete LED conversion

Seeing all of the LED talk in here lately, I thought I'd make a thread to help out those who want to convert their First Gen SRX to LED lighting. LED runs cooler, have less drain, and puts out these nice colors. Now the only downside with LED is that they put out less lighting than regular halogen filament bulbs. What inspired me to make the switch over to LED was because I completely killed my battery one afternoon by installing the pa15-vette for a ipod aux connection. Also, I had a driver side turn signal bulb burnt out before and saw what a pain it was to replace.

I upgraded almost every single bulb in the SRX to LED minus the head lights, high beams, fogs, and those 2 filament bulbs in each of the tail light assembly. I've had zero issues since making the switch to LED. (No flickering, no alarm or keyless entry issues etc.) Just be sure to keep the contact points clean and make a good solid connection to the bulb sockets by bending the LED leads if necessary.

This will not be a complete DIY or HOW To because I will just graze on the LED part of this mod. I assume you enthusiasts already know how to remove the bumper, hatch, dome etc.

List of bulbs I used for my 2006 SRX (build date: 2/7/06) LED conversion:

City lights: 2x 194/168 T10 style WHITE bulbs. ( I recommend omni directional Led's, These bulbs are located under the head light assembly. Test polarity first, carefully bend each lead to the side where each lead would stick out slightly pass the base for a good tight connection. To prevent LED out or flickering, do this to every other T10 wedge peanut type LED you use.)

Marker Lamp: 2x 194/168 T10 style YELLOW bulbs. (rec'd omni directional Led's and bend each contact lead to the side. These go inside the corner of the headlight assembly behind the amber marker. I chose yellow because it blends in perfectly behind the amber but you could use what ever color you want.)

Turn Signal Lamp/DRL: 2x 3157 Projector Sytle AMBER bulbs.
    (I was not able to find 3757 LED's so I made some slight modifcations to get the 3157's to work. Dremel the sides of the OEM 3757 sockets to fit the base of the 3157 LED's. Real easy. If you mess up the socket, do not worry. They are cheap ACDelco Part# LS234 at about 4 bucks each. Also, you must use a pair of 50w 6ohm resistors to avoid hyper blink from the oem flasher circuit. Do this by simply splicing inline to the positive and ground wires of the turn signal / DRL lamps. Mount (not double tape) resistors to a metal surface. Hopefully, this solves the notorious turn signal bulb out issue with the SRX. The new 3757LL filament bulb I replaced about 6 months ago was already showing signs with burn marks when I removed it to replace with LED. The chrome housing of the projector LED's also got rid of that ugly huge amber reflection (IMO) inside the fog lamp housing. Note that these will not be as bright as the 3757 filament bulbs. Maybe you will have better luck with the tower type LED's but all those yellow chips reflecting off the OEM fog housing when the car is off looks rather silly to me. Please do this mod at your own risk. I will not be liable for anything as I myself is unsure about the longevity or safety of this mod.)

Front Interior Dome: 2x 194 T10 style WHITE bulbs (omni direction rec'd and remember to bend leads to the side)

Front under dash: 2x 44mm rigid loop hook type WHITE bulbs (festoon type with loops at the ends. Just bend the metal prongs from the bulb holder outwards slightly and the LED's will make a tight connection.

Front courtesy doors: 2x 44mm LED festoon WHITE bulbs (face down)

Vanity lights: 2x 29mm or 30mm fuse type LED WHITE. (These are tiny, regular festoon types are too big and will not fit.)

2nd Row Dome: 2x 194 T10 style WHITE bulbs (omni directrional Led's rec'd)

3rd Row Dome: 3x 44mm LED festoon WHITE (face down)

Rear Hatch: 1x 42mm LED festoon WHITE (note: 44mm will NOT fit.)

License Plate: 2x 194 T10 type WHITE bulbs ( Omni direction type rec'd and very important to make a tight connection here unless you want to remove the hatch twice ( I did) . If the LED is out, it will most likely still work but just the connection was loose)

Reverse Light: 2x 3157 high powered CREE LED WHITE (No mods to the oem sockets as they are correct 3157 base unlike the front turn signal/drl sockets. Also be sure of making a tight connection for the same reasons like the license plate bulbs. To do this, carefully bend the leads outwards by pulling it after testing for polarity.)

Sizes and type of LED's may vary. The list here worked for my 2006 SRX with a build date of 2/7/06. There may be some discrepancy for 06 owners depending on build dates. Sylvania guide lists my 06 as having H7 high beams but they are indeed 9005 like the previous years SRX or CTS.

For those who are wondering, I also upgraded my fogs to HID. (9145/H10 3000k Yellow digital AC ballast kit.) Was on the fence with this mod but It's aimed very low (low to see the ground a few feet ahead and not to see ahead). Cuts through rain or bad weather pavements like nothing. For my night time driving lights, I upgraded to Osram CBI's D1S 5000k pure white. These look fantastic for anyone looking to go whiter and NOT blue. My 06 came with OEM HID's so these are inside my OEM Valeo projector lens with driver side aimed lower than the right as factory spec'd. For those slapping HID headlights into reflector designed housings.

HA! I did it to the fogs so a slap on the wrist for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: First Gen SRX complete LED conversion

Quote Originally Posted by azblksrx View Post
    For those slapping HID headlights into reflector designed housings.

HA! I did it to the fogs so a slap on the wrist for me.

Word!

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Can you post a pic of the fogs and low beams. I'm currently running 6k on kith and was thinking of the yellow hid

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Can you post a pic of the fogs and low beams. I'm currently running 6k on kith and was thinking of the yellow hid
    Your running those in halogen housings right, we can call you Mr. Glare, at least they have some cut off but the housings are different on the SRX between HID and halogen on the low beam.

I have 3K in my fogs on the truck and they are really yellow, they are in projector housings with a flat cut off and aimed about 2" below center at 25 feet. I can't post a picture but ya really yellow.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Lol yeah all on halogen housings

Whiplash_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX V8 AWD, 04 NSRT4

What about the turn signals? Any way to make those HID orange? Ive seen them on a new BMW and I would love to have the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Getting back to you kind of late, we been getting a lot of rain here.

5000k D1S lows

3000k H10 fogs

Attachment 104836

Attachment 104881

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash_89 View Post
    What about the turn signals? Any way to make those HID orange? Ive seen them on a new BMW and I would love to have the same thing.
    LED turn signals. The type of bulb I used emit in a rectangular shape. Not sure what you mean by HID orange but these led's put out a pure amber color. The stock color puts out more of a yellowish/amber color. When using the turn signals, the LED has an instant on instant off sequence (real digital like). Fog housing is clear once the car is off or when the DRL's aren't in use

Pics taken with a slight overcast.

Attachment 104837

Its hard to explain without a visual aid, but you know how HIDs give off colors, blue,, white, purple, etc. This one looked white but at certain angles it was orange. It could have been a yellow and maybe they used something with the yellow to achieve an orange effect, but the lens was clear, so I dunno. I've only seen it once in my entire life so maybe it was custom.

Kinda like this:
    ORANGE zx14 halo kit kawasaki ebay oracle ccfl led bike street headlight custom hid.jpg

But clear, and it wasn't the halos for sure.

Looks like ccfl "demon eyes" big with the e46 bimmer crowd. But I definitely havent seen anything like this in other applications. Please do tell if you discover anything like this for the srx.

Will do, although I will put this on the back burner since I now need a new power steering pump.

Update: My fellow SRX'ers, just giving a heads up that the LED turn signals did not work as hoped. Left side gave after 2 weeks on the brand new bulb. My guess is these are for turn signals only applications. With the heavy duties of DRL/TURN like the SRX was too much for these LED bulbs to handle. Back in goes the halogen.

Kipp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have been going back and forth on this. I have 1 oem bulb out and I have new t-signal sockets and LED's.
    I just dont know if you will get the lifespan out of them. I might run them in my ford for a while and see how they last.
    Its funny you see them from 30-60 p/pair and they look like crap. Search online and you can get them shipped from overseas for $4 a bulb. Identical bulb, just re-packaged.
    Lumen output on the LED fogs (9145) are a fraction of the halogens.

Dimitrioscool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8

how do you replace the dome lights do i just pull down the whole thing or do the lenses pop out somehow... i dont wanna damage anything.... and what do u mean omni direction rec'd

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

just pull down the whole thing
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.