Tail Light issue - 2005 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Tail Light issue - 2005 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; So, I noticed Sunday that the in-cab right turn signal arrow was blinking rapidly. I checked and the right-hand turn ...
    btwoodward is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Tail Light issue - 2005 SRX

So, I noticed Sunday that the in-cab right turn signal arrow was blinking rapidly. I checked and the right-hand turn signal and brake light were both fine, but the tail light was all but out. There were about 5 dim lights lit, and one flickering that would randomly go out. Am i really going to need to replace a 300-500 dollar part, or could this be something as simple as a fuse or relay going bad? I checked the fuses in the engine compartment and all were good. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Search the forum I've read about this several months ago about something in the circuit board issue

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: Tail Light issue - 2005 SRX

I will throw in a few options that may be cost effective:
    See if you can open the unit and deal with any obvious issues like re-solder burned-out connections
    Get a used light unit from a wreck yard
    Remove the unit and empty out the faulty LEDs, then install an over-the-counter LED lighting string inside the housing

Thanks for the replies. Confirmed at a dealership that it was the assembly that needs to be replaced. Now, to find one less than 500 Thanks 08SRX for the suggestions on more cost-effective options.

Seriously? I cannot believe that a car manufacturer would actually force you to take half of the flipping car apart to get to a screw to get a tail light assembly out.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Red face Re: Tail Light issue - 2005 SRX

You didn't think that fixing a premium luxury brand SUV would cost the same as a Ford, did you?

It isn't the cost. I am okay with expensive parts. It is the fact that you have to take apart half of the interior of the car to get to 1 nut. Poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by btwoodward View Post
    It isn't the cost. I am okay with expensive parts. It is the fact that you have to take apart half of the interior of the car to get to 1 nut. Poor design.
    Trust me almost everything on this truck wasn't designed for the diy mechanic but I've found ways lol

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Haven't had any problems yet,< knock on the fake looking wood around the shifter>, but it would be awesome if there was a section of this forum to post the DIY mechanic ways of doing things like repnatl, and no doubt others, have found? Although the sticky post does list quite a few questions it doesn't really cover basic DIY methods of doing what could otherwise be expensive out of pocket dealer mechanic payments.

Yeah. Just got it replaced. About 2 hours later. Pain in the backside. Again, poor poor design. I guess they figure people that buy luxury vehicles would automatically 1.) get rid of it before the warranty runs out and 2.) take it to have it fixed even without warranty. Definitely not a DIY car if you like relatively simple.

----------

FYI, if you need a part for a Cadillac, I highly highly recommend Jerry Brown's Auto Parts (jbap.com) out of Queensbury NY. I got the taillight on eBay from them and they were absolutely awesome. Too bad they couldn't ship a tech with the part though! lol

[QUOTE="btwoodward;3254102"]Yeah. Just got it replaced. About 2 hours later. Pain in the backside. Again, poor poor design. I guess they figure people that buy luxury vehicles would automatically 1.) get rid of it before the warranty runs out and 2.) take it to have it fixed even without warranty. Definitely not a DIY car if you like relatively simple.

They automatically assume we will take it to the dealer for everything and even told me that if I work on it myself then why complain and why did I buy a luxury vehicle if I couldn't afford the maintainable? Ummmmmmmm so because I'm a certified mechanic I can't have a nice vehicle for my family without worried of it breaking down far away from a dealer and not be able to make emergency repairs? Most ppl don't like going to the dealer because they either take waaaaaaaaaay too long for the repair or BS you into other non essential repairs or can't find the problem you are having even when you know what's wrong and tell them and they totally ignore them. But as far as I know GM (and other manufactures too) have always had rear light problems. For example the early 90'a through late 2000 especially the silverado Tahoe and Suburban tail light circuit boards but at least those were way easier to fix than than the srx lol glad you were able to get to it and if you have any extra diy tips on how you did it please share.

ramdeesl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Been searching the threads, looking for a solution to tail light issues. Just bought a 2007 srx 3 weeks ago and am having brake light, Tail light issues. When headlights are on the brakelights stay on all the time and no signal lights in rear. Headlights off..everything works as it should. It appears no one has any answers for this problem...Just start changing parts and spending money or take it to the dealer and get raped. I can't believe I gave up my perfectly good Grand Cherokee for a gas hog that costs $500 for a tail light. In order to change rear or front signal lights, you have to dismantle half of the car. Unbelievable! Going to nurse this thing until spring and then it is GONE! .....I feel a little better now..But this sucker is gone.

ONE

royan97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX - V8

And most garage don't even know how to open it, even AC delco once luckly I found one that was familiar with American cars here in doha, Qatar and I was able to have it replaced in 1 hr or so and cost me around $41 in labor and $650 for the tail light from the dealer.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Damum... a $650 light bulb.

Didn't I read somewhere, that these LED Bulbs are supposed to last longer then old school bulbs?

I guess they do, unless you actually make them light!

royan97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX - V8

They are still working but the problem was some wire inside the unit is not soldered properly anymore so if you tap it lightly the running light will come back on but after a few bumps on the road it will turn off again. No one here seems to know how to open the thing (vacuum sealed they said) so I was forced to buy the entire lamp. It cost as much as a new Iphone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.