06 3.6 srx horrible gas mileage - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 06 3.6 srx horrible gas mileage in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by repnatl And I've replaced the oil filter bypass valve so no more rattle on startup. Why didn't ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Re: 06 3.6 srx horrible gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    And I've replaced the oil filter bypass valve so no more rattle on startup.
    Why didn't you post this to your timing chain rattle thread?

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Good point I probably should do that too

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

I just finished a road trip - St. Louis, MO, to Omaha, NE and back... Mind you, I did get caught in a snow storm on the return, so drove sporadically and slow from Omaha to the Missouri Boarder because of the ice/snow storm. I also used the secondary highway, instead of the super highway, to avoid sharing the road with tractor trailers. I also detoured for a scenic tour along the Mississippi from Hannibal back to St. Louis- which I am sure lowered the MPG average just a bit.

Average over the entire trip was 20.9 MPG.

09' V6 with 64k miles on it.

Well its to the point that my 96 ram 5.2 1500 gets the same gas mileage as the v6 srx

Bob25thTA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 03 Corvette gets 26 mpg on highway. What kind of mileage do you expect to get when you are pushing a heavy square box through the air at 70 mph?

Lol true but the ram should be worse though you would think

08SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

A few other thoughts:
    - has your air filter been replaced lately?
    - do you have any dragging brakes? Sometimes, caliper pins can get stuck. You can check to see if one wheel is much hotter than the others after a long drive.
    - do you need a tune up?

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    A few other thoughts:
    - has your air filter been replaced lately?
    - do you have any dragging brakes? Sometimes, caliper pins can get stuck. You can check to see if one wheel is much hotter than the others after a long drive.
    - do you need a tune up?
    Trust me I know I'm certified lol new brakes Jo dragging aftermarket intake just did a tuneup and fuel filter my issue is this engine is worn out from previous owners neglect. I'm hearing the v8 guys get better mileage

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

With the awesome aftermarket intake as you not getting more air into the engine, would this not also need more fuel to be added to all this nice extra dense air?

08SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Yeah, I agree with conedoctor. If you add a custom CAI, then don't complain about your fuel mileage...

Typically intakes improve gas mileage cause the engine cab breathe better. Trust me its not the intake the engine is the problem

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Not saying the engine is not the problem but the intake will not get you better economy IMO, you will get more power from it. Now your saying the engine is bad on gas because it is worn out, what part being worn out causes less economy? You thinking rings or valves?

Clips from the K&N site, even they say a mileage gain is theory, if they were able to increase mileage I would think it would be all over the website and on the front page and I can't find one single thing on the site that says better mileage, maybe cause they can't prove it and it is just a myth?

So if your flowing more air into the engine fuel must be added to keep at 14.7:1 right?

To make more power with no ECU upgrades you have to be adding more fuel don't you?

1. How will a K&N filter affect my vehicle's fuel economy?

There is a relationship between air filter restriction and mileage. The theory behind this is simple, the harder an engine has to work to suck air through the intake tubes and air filter, the more gas gets wasted in the process. Many K&N users report an increase in their fuel economy after beginning to use our air filters, as noted on our testimonial page. However, these experiences do not mean you will also experience a change in your mileage. We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage.

It is virtually impossible to make sweeping and general claims about mileage. Even the EPA fuel rating numbers for new cars are often not representative of the mileage you actually experience. There are many variables that affect mileage such as: tire inflation, the type of fuel, weather, elevation, the speed at which you drive, the gear in which you drive, the speed with which you accelerate, engine maintenance, excessive idling, cruise control, the grade of motor oil you use, and of course, the condition of your air filter. In short, mileage is complicated.

K&N filters are less restrictive than disposable paper or synthetic air filters and K&N Intake Systems are less restrictive than the factory installed air path. So K&N filter technology could be an important tool, when combined with other elements, to help keep mileage as high as possible.

Oh yeah, there's one more limitation imposed by science. If you take advantage of added power by driving more aggressively, you will reduce mileage. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

7. Can a K&N filter give my engine too much air flow?

No. An engine can only draw in a certain volume of air depending on the engine's size (measured by such things as bore, stroke and number of cylinders). Vehicles are designed to accommodate large changes in air pressure so they can operate at sea level or at an altitude of 14,000 feet. Engine computers adjust the amount of fuel required as a result of changes in air pressure (density). Air filter restriction when the filter is new and especially as the filter loads with dust will result in lower air pressure and availability similar to being at a high elevation. High-flow air filters that were invented by K&N were designed to reduce the work necessary to pull air through the filter and to increase air pressure. Increased air pressure is one of the key elements in producing more power.

Yeah I understand now. Pretty sure its the valve stem seals

Bob25thTA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was always concerned about K&N filtration ability and have not used them, here is a link to a guy that did a filtration test on his Miata, using various filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.