06 3.6 srx horrible gas mileage - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 06 3.6 srx horrible gas mileage in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 08. Northstar and get 10/11 in town but it is a better enging all around. The cost ...
    xxxxxxxrcv8@hotmail.com is offline Guest
    Automobile(s): 2008 crx
    I have a 08. Northstar and get 10/11 in town but it is a better enging all around. The cost of quality?

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: 06 3.6 srx horrible gas mileage

I think it has way more to do with driver, my wife can get better mileage than my all day long, the price of fun.

That being said my 08 Sierra Denali is sitting at 15.5 l/100 right now, it is getting closer to the economy of my SRX all the time, if my V8 fails it gets the 6.2!

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

The 3.6 ECU adjust's timing constantly instead of like the V8's that have a low & a high octaine table. If your ingesting any oil in the intake air charge the detonation it causes will cause the ECU to pull timing back until it stops. What catchcan are you running? Most let as much oil through as they catch.....you will need one that catches all the oil and traps it from ingestion. Other than that, its possible you may have jumped a tooth on the timing chains....
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Well I've stopped all the oil injection through the Intake not one drop anymore after the off mod and Intake system. And I've replaced the oil filter bypass valve so no more rattle on startup. Checked the chains again and all marks are where they need to be no signs of wear. Im to the point im getting rid of this truck im tired of the issues with the SRX.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Has anyone with PVC mods experienced any problems trying to pass an emissions test?

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

repnati, I'm puzzled then....you should be getting better economy than that. Get the Trifecta tune & cable and log it for Vince to see what exactly is going on in the timing and fuel tables.

08srx, if done correctly it remains a closed system so it cant impact emmissions other than to clean them up some.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

No emission test in my county just safety inspection. I did confirm I was down almost 2 qts of oil since I changed the oil 2300k miles ago. And its very black yet no more sludge in the engine I had the valve covers and timing cover off checking the chains. I'll prob takeout to the dealer to do the oil cconsumption test but overall im down with this truck and going to get rid of it very soon if they can't figure out what's wrong. I've got other vehicles with way higher mileage without any issues like this thing has been giving me. I don't see the point of making a car note on something that costs so much out of pocket while my paid off vehicles have no issues.

Im wondering if my dic is bad. Same trip yesterday at 75 I got 19.2 overall. Then on instant mpg doing 80 I pulled 19.8 then going at 70 I pulled 21.2 and then at 60 I pulled barely 18.6. So im confused

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

REP.....I don't pay any attention to the instant mpg on the DIC because all it essentially tells you is your fuel burn rate at that instant. "Yup, it is reading low and we are going up a hill or I am on the gas (or the converse). No mystery there."

The DIC average miles per gallon is your best bet because it calculates mileage travelled (actual) versus fuel used (actual).

Calculating fuel mileage manually is inaccurate in the short run because that approach calculates mileage driven (actual) by the amount of fuel you put back in (variable). The fuel used (actual) can vary from the fuel you put back in. i.e., the pump turned off early. The pump turned off later. I squeezed some more fuel in there after the pump shut off. Etc.

But even the DIC average mpg is subject to interpretation unless you take its average after a longer drive, say 50+ miles or more, while driving at a constant speed with no speeding up or slowing down (preferably on cruise).

I have posted many times that my N* has achieved 22-23mpg pure highway on many tankfuls @72 on cruise. But these were always full tanks (over 400-420 miles) consumed on long, uninterrupted (by anything except potty/food stops)) interstate road trips. My mixed driving (mostly highway) drops to 19mpg.

We have had some pretty good weather systems and storms up here in the Northeast over the past six months with fairly high sustained winds. But these winds can change directions, with the winds first coming out of the Northwest/North/Northeast and later out of the Southeast!!!!!

Three times a week I drive up to New Hampshire and back, 100 miles round trip, about 90%+ highway. Same road. Same passengers. Same cargo (weight). Same ambient temperatures. Same terrain. On cruise. 70-75 mph every trip. One day I can get 17mpg and the next I get high 21s. I chalked it up to the direction and variability of the winds one day to the next because the high 21s is what I get a majority of the time. And I can feel the car getting buffeted by the winds on the particularly bad mileage days. The SRX is as aerodynamic as a brick, and it weighs 4,250 to 4,450lbs., depending upon AWD/no or V6 versus V8. Econobox it is not, nor should we expect it to be.

PJ

Oh trust me I know this things a brick lol. And the weather patterns always play their part. I know combined I can barely pull 250 a tank and pure highway around 380.

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    Oh trust me I know this things a brick lol. And the weather patterns always play their part. I know combined I can barely pull 250 a tank and pure highway around 380.
    I need to join you for a road trip. 21 mpg or bust! BTW, the Winter temps and the higher methanol content of the Winter blend fuel is not helping the mileage. Still think 21 is feasible. I'll bring the beer....for the victory celebration, of course.

PJ

If you've got the beer and I've got 4 jackstands let's go for it lol that should do well on gas and no potty breaks use the empty cans

REP.........was thinking of you yesterday on a 90 mile drive back South (home) from Maine. Refueled, reset the DIC (average miles per gallon), jumped on Interstate 95 and set cruise to 65mph. The average fuel economy for this trip read 23.0 when I pulled into the driveway, was 23.2 but the last 6 miles was "city."

Just for you, I had to initially listen to the wife ask why we were driving so slowly in the right hand lane ; but I weathered her whining until she fell asleep.

PJ

Lol thanks man im leaving the VA now so I've got a 35 mile trip and I'll let you know how I do. The speeds here in Texas are an average of 75 but do go to 60 around cities so let's see. Im the only passenger and have nothing in the truck besides a car seat. And a half tank with the AC on cause its 87 right now

Ok 35 miles at 65mph I averaged 19.8 mpg. Depressing lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.