Belt Tensioner(s) for '06 SRX?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Belt Tensioner(s) for '06 SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Have a loud squeal, mechanic says I need to replace the Power Steering/AC belt and tensioner. Based on the diagram ...
    CoolATIGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V8 Northstar AWD w/ 18" wheels

Belt Tensioner(s) for '06 SRX?

Have a loud squeal, mechanic says I need to replace the Power Steering/AC belt and tensioner.

Based on the diagram in the link below, part #1 (smaller belt) goes to the alternator, part #2 (larger belt) turns everything else (power steering, ac, etc), correct?

Also, it shows 2 tensioners, a left and a right...am I supposed to replace both, or does 1 go to each belt? They aren't labeled.

http://www.gmpartsclub.com/parts-cat...ts-and-pulleys

Thanks! ~ CoolATIGuy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mrriverajr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX AWD V6

Re: Belt Tensioner(s) for '06 SRX?

Same squeal on my 05 and I changed all the tensioners and it turned out to be the power steering pump!!!

I sprayed the belt with water where the squeal was at it and went away temporarily. Plus it's louder when it's cold, and doesn't change at all when the wwheel is turned. So pretty positive it's the belt. Thanks though

Jim_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX V8 RWD 2004
    An old mechanic once told me to get an old bar of soap that is wet and soapy and just touch the belt while its running. If it gets quiet that's the belt. Maybe if you spray the tensioner with some silicone spray or something similar it would isolate the bad one.

Yep, he tried the soap trick. twice. Helped for a little bit then comes back.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

I can't imagine a reason why a bad tensioner on one side affects a tensioner on the other side to the extent of causing belt noise.

As I understand it, the PS/AC belt tensioner is part no. 12577655, and should cost around $60.00. http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=376706

You will note that the second diagram has an idler pulley. Some engines have it, some don't. I think it was an early version.

I don't remember if you have to get the fan off to do the belts. If you have the crank driven fan on the front of the engine, you don't need to separate the fan from the clutch, just remove the entire assembly:

Mechanic swapped the belt and tensioner mentioned. Said noise is all gone. Will get it back tomorrow.

dodgersfreak is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you use a special tool to remove the fan bolt?

I did not replace it myself.

So noise came back. After replacing the belt tensioner, belt, and idler pulley, we narrowed the problem down the power steering pulley was not tightened all the way end - this cause the belt to be slightly misaligned and a little rubbing on one side as it went through. Once it was tightened up, noise is completely gone!! woot

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dodgersfreak View Post
    Did you use a special tool to remove the fan bolt?
    Is there a special tool, just use a socket to remove mine when replacing belts (hell of a job)

bwilkins750 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): future srx owner

orandaberg, I will be replacing both drive belts (along with both tensioners and idler pulley). Is there any tips so that I know what to expect when doing this job? Im comfortable with tools, and I do most work myself on all our vehicles. Anything else I should inspect/replace while in there?

vehicle is 06 SRX N* V8 w/ 18 inch wheels

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    No special tool needed release the tension the 1 15mm bolt its easy. If you have the tow package with the clutch fan you have to remove the fan with clutch and the bracket cradle to remove the belts (poor thought process on that design)

preforming is offline Cadillac Owners Member

did you take the fan out of the top or from beneath the car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.