Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Motor mount change difficulty

17K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Jakekeight98 
#1 ·
I did a little searching on the forum and it seems like changing the motor mounts is pretty hard (V8 AWD). Seems to involve taking off the exhast manifold at least. Anyone have exprience and tips or thoughts on this job? Any other guidance is appreciated.

#2 ·
I would look to see if I could remove the top mount nut using extensions and u-joints without removing the manifolds. Other than that, lifting and supporting the engine is an obstacle.

#4 ·
What's a bottom mount?

#6 ·
There's only 1 mount on each side. By 'top' I meant the nut on the top of the mount. If you can get to that without removing the manifold, then you can change the mounts without removing the manifolds.

#7 ·
So the dealer wants $915.57 to change both motor mounts. I called other places ant they want about $750 to $800 to do it. Every place has about 5 hours labor quoted for it including removing the exhast manifold. I'm debating if its going to be a crazy hard job for myself. Has anyone changed these? If so what was your experience like and how much time did it take?

#10 ·
Why be afraid of removing the manifolds if you have to? It's just a bunch of bolts and doing it only gives you more room to get access to the mount. Are you a DIYer or not?:stirpot:

#20 ·
Agreed good product but an inexperienced person with tighten until it snaps.

Like some headbolts, the torque is different for oiled threads and dry threads.

I have a friend at a shop that was working on an explorer that broke a manifold stud off, at the end of the day it was cheaper and easier to swap engines, and it is an exhaust shop in business for many years. The customer did not want them to fix the stud so they took it to another shop that messed it up and drilled the head off center then it came back, at that point they could not fix it and out came the engine.

If you get into trouble ask for help before you make it worse not after lol

#21 ·
I searched around and did not find a post from anyone who actually changed the motor mount on a V8 SRX so thought I would add this.
Just changed the left (driver's side) motor mount on my rear wheel drive 2005 V8 in my driveway using some ramps. I was back in the house and showered up in under 2 hours.

No need to remove the exhaust manifold I only needed to bend the heat shield up a little to get to the top nut and used a 13/16 box wrench to take it off. I used a 13/16 deepwell socket for the bottom and removed the bottom nut on the right side mount (not sure if this was needed). BTW it's possible the correct size is 21mm.

I used a hydraulic bottle jack with a 2 by 4 under the oil pan to lift the engine with it off centered towards the driver's side. I leaned the mount forward and lifted up and out to remove and replacement is reversed. I was quoted over $1100 for the job and I got the part for $120 so well worth doing myself.

#25 ·
Hey conedoctor. I recently took my 2011 Cadillac cts awd premium to a mechanic and had the motor mounts changed. Changing the motor mounts helped by not having a jump when I accelerate. I believe the mechanic was inexperienced with Cadillac's and now I have some new problems. I'm noticing different sounds when the car is at an idle or warming up. It sounds a bit like vibration at startup, and sometimes it sounds like a ball in a aluminum can a bit when the car is at idle. I believe it is an electrical problem, because when the lights come on at startup I hear a sound. The mechanic did say he was inexperienced with electrical automotive work. I can take it to sears and have them go over the mount changing process since they were the ones that discovered I needed motor mounts. Any thoughts? Let me know what you think. Thanks.