power steering pump issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, power steering pump issues in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I just replaced my steering pump and the high pressure line on our 2004 SRX V8 AWD. Now when ...
    subzero32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

power steering pump issues

So I just replaced my steering pump and the high pressure line on our 2004 SRX V8 AWD. Now when driven it feels like I have no pressure when steering except when accelerating. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: power steering pump issues

Slipping belt or air in system. Did you bleed by turning lock to lock several times? Best done with wheels off the ground.

And, to the forum
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Thanks for the welcome. The belt seems tight when running the engine. Also i put it up on jack stands and turned the wheel lock to lock with absolutely no groan at max turn as normal in a car. Remanufactured pump bad from the dealer? It's an AC Delco one for $135 rather than $275 for factory replacement.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Can you recheck the fluid level after it has warmed and cooled? If the fluid is too low, it may only have an effect if you run higher than idle speed. Check and top up as needed.

Fluid level is good hot and cold. Bad pump is my number 1 possibility I think

----------

Fluid level is good hot and cold. Bad pump is my number 1 possibility I think

dodgersfreak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I had the same issue with my remanufactered Ac Delco pump. It was shot after 6 months of use. It was replaced under the 1 year limited warranty. I haven't had any issues for the last 8 months.

----------

I tested my pump by putting the car in neutral and accelerating it slightly. The pump would whine but the steering would be alot easier. The only thing that might be an issue is trying to replace the pump with the old high pressure hose. I changed both but the hose was a snap in quick connect into the pump.

drod777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6

Well had a similar problem, but when it was cold outside I could turn the wheel no problem when the temp would rise I could only turn while accelerating. I could not even turn next to a car because the steering would not work. Had a bunch of parts replaced.But Are you having problems turning into a parking space or any turning in general.

So I took it into the dealership and they replaced the pump for a second time and no steering again. They said the rack and pinion had failed and needs replacing. We will see how it works with the new one installed.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    So I took it into the dealership and they replaced the pump for a second time and no steering again. They said the rack and pinion had failed and needs replacing. We will see how it works with the new one installed.
    Thanks for the update, subzero! I'm looking forward to your updates, and please email me anytime if additional questions/concerns arise in the meantime. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'm also available to contact your dealer on your behalf if you have lingering questions.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

dredd2099 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 srx

Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    hope you are still around sir
    sorry to bring this thread back up to life but having same issues, wanted to know how yours was resolved

after the 2nd one failing right away, they said rack and pinion as well
    left it overnight and just got a call from them and they were honest enough to say that there was nothing wrong with the RnP
    theyre just going to call me back after checking a few more possible causes

Quote Originally Posted by dredd2099 View Post
    hope you are still around sir
    sorry to bring this thread back up to life but having same issues, wanted to know how yours was resolved

after the 2nd one failing right away, they said rack and pinion as well
    left it overnight and just got a call from them and they were honest enough to say that there was nothing wrong with the RnP
    theyre just going to call me back after checking a few more possible causes
    Once they replaced the RnP along with another pump all was fixed and worked, I assume they left my high pressure line I put in. I recommend going with a new RnP if needed as the price diff was very small, I did a remanufactured one (wish i would have bought a new one). Also the Remanufactured pumps I had put on were very loud, go with the OEM pump which will be much quieter. Bottom line is go with OEM at minimum or high performance which in this case I have no idea what it would be. Hope this helps.

----------

So to summarize what I have done on the caddy so far its been new battery $180, new PS pump, high pressure line and steering rack $1000, new tires, $1000, new brake pads all 4 wheels $130, new wheel bearing (RR,FL Timken) $260, spark plugs (NGK Irridium) $70, Passenger side Ignition coils $370. Next is new MRC schocks about $2000 and springs $100. Its been a frustrating used car buy but so far I'm confident this SRX will be a reliable fun family vehicle in the long run. The last owner obviously did not take care of this SRX, I'm still spending less than a new car so I'm okay with that.

dredd2099 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 srx

ty for quick reply sir
    we'll see how it goes on mine

Good luck!!

toddkellogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx v8

Hey guys. Want some input on PS leaks on my 04 SRX V8.

I have had an annoying leak. I replaced the PS pump (same old reservoir), the Hi Press hose? to the Rack, and the Rack it self.

NOW after all this I still have a leak. Determined the Leak is NOW from the Reservoir to Pump connector/ion. Opened it and did NOT see an O RING. Thought, OK.. put an AC type ORING on connector and bolted down. Leaked like a drunk
    sailor. My friend NOTICED a "clean" area on the fitting outside the ORING.

Is there a second Oring, a gasket or a Washer that goes on the PS pump connector (from Reservior)???

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

The hose from the reservoir to the pump has spring clamps to secure it, no O-ring. You may have a cracker reservoir.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.