Oil in spark plug cavity
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Oil in spark plug cavity in Cadillac SRX Forums; Today I changed the plugs in my 2006 V6 and found a substantial pool of oil in 3 of the ...
    Dakaty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Oil in spark plug cavity

Today I changed the plugs in my 2006 V6 and found a substantial pool of oil in 3 of the deep spark plug cavities. The Mobile 1 was very clean and fluid. It drained into the cylinders when I removed the plugs. (Lots of smoke when I fired it up the first time!!)

All of the plugs looked fine for 86,000 miles with no oil fouling. The V6 does not leak oil on the driveway or in the engine compartment, although it uses a quart every 5000 miles!

Anybody have any ideas what causes this?

Thanks

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

droctane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Classic tube seal leak. Replace the seals when you replace the valve cover gasket(s).

Good luck!

johns12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8

Re: Oil in spark plug cavity

Yes, new seals should take care of it.

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Is that what's going on? here are a couple pics of my n* after I changed the plugs. The first is from the passenger side, left to right is the order from the front of the car to the back. next pic is drivers side same config (I like the different spark plug btw..that one threw me a bit)
    IMAG0122_zps29df8d68.jpg
    IMAG0125_zpscbca1aab.jpg

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakaty View Post
    Today I changed the plugs in my 2006 V6 and found a substantial pool of oil in 3 of the deep spark plug cavities. The Mobile 1 was very clean and fluid. It drained into the cylinders when I removed the plugs. (Lots of smoke when I fired it up the first time!!)

All of the plugs looked fine for 86,000 miles with no oil fouling. The V6 does not leak oil on the driveway or in the engine compartment, although it uses a quart every 5000 miles!

Anybody have any ideas what causes this?

Thanks

Bill
    Very common issue most dealers can't get those without buying the entire valve cover and they don't come with the valve cover gasket set.
    gmpartseast.com has them really cheap only a few dollars each also need the valve cover gaskets. If your only using a quart of oil every 5k I think you have the best designed 3.6 out of gm cause these things drink oil I've been using around 2-3 quarts every 3k miles. So you might have a good engine on your hands.also don't go by the olm recommended 15k mile oil changes there is a tsb for the dealer to reprogram the olm down to 7500 miles and constantly monitor your oil level at every other fill up to be safe.

maddoggyusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yea this is a common issue with lots of engines when the spark plug goes thru the valve cover. The oil around the spark plug can cause you misfires.

FYI - I imagine you had to move the intake plenum to access the spark plugs? The GM manual is wrong... you can't just "slide" the plenum forward... you have to raise it (at least I did). And when I raised the plenum on my 2004 V6, it destroyed the paper intake gaskets. I got new gaskets at Chevy dealer, and they were nice re-usuable metal gaskets.

So just giving you a head up to check those gaskets (I didn't notice I damaged them right away, what a PIA scraping them clean)... not sure if they changed to metal gaskets for later models?

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Yeah luckily the stock intake gaskets are metal and rubber any aftermarket ones from Autozone or what not are paper and not worth it. If you already have the OE ones and no issues just reuse them I've had my intake off 6 times and still have the stock ones idk why they still use paper

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.