How to: Front Lower Control Arm Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SRT ACE
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, How to: Front Lower Control Arm Replacement in Cadillac SRX Forums; Here's my take on how to replace the front lower control arms (LCA): These instructions are provided for information purposes ...
    SRT ACE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

How to: Front Lower Control Arm Replacement

Here's my take on how to replace the front lower control arms (LCA):

These instructions are provided for information purposes only. Attempt at your own risk.

SRX trim - 2004 3.6L V6 AWD

Problem presentation - squeaky/scrunchy bushing noises at slower speeds over bumps and coming to a stop; clunk from ball joint typically present when creeping forward/reversing with wheel hard over and slight bump; improper caster/camber alignment numbers and inability to bring it within spec

Parts list
    1. Lower Control Arm Assembly (w/ new bushings and ball joint pre-installed) - AC Delco 25862781 (driver's side) & 25862782 (passenger side) - roughly $190 per at local dealer (pricematched to GMpartsdirect.com)
    2. When done you will need an alignment
    Time required/difficulty - 30-90 minutes per side; moderate (two took me 4 hours total with a break for lunch and a beer; granted I was on a lift and had air tools)

Dealer quote - ~$380 plus labor

Tools required
    • jack & jack stands (or lift )
    • wheel chocks
    • flathead screwdriver (for lug nut cover & clamp removal)
    • breaker bar
    • impact gun & air compressor
    • 1/2" drive ratchet
    • 3/4" socket (for wheel lug nuts)
    • 18mm standard & deep socket (for end link, yoke to shock nut)
    • 24mm deep socket (for yoke to LCA nut)
    • 21mm standard & deep socket (for cradle to LCA bolts/nuts)
    • 18mm combination wrench (for steering rack bolts and back wrench)
    • 21mm combination wrench (for back wrench)
    • 5mm & 6mm allen wrench (using a impact gun may preclude the need)
    • torque wrench
    • 2-arm gear puller, large C-clamp, or wedge & hammer (for separating yoke to LCA)
    • 3lb hammer
    • Marking tool
    • Thread-locker (blue)
    • PB Blaster or equivalent
    • Shop rags

Removal
    1. Note, LCA stands for Lower Control Arm
    2. Note, procedure is same for driver and passenger side and pictures may be used interchageably
    3. Put transmission in Park, chock the rear wheels, and set the parking brake
    4. Jack up front tire to be worked on; Note: it will be easier if you can get both front wheels in the air at the same time; that way you'll have easier access to the steering rack bolts
    5. Lower vehicle onto jack stands
    6. Remove the lug nut cover with the flathead screwdriver
    7. Remove the six lug nuts with 3/4" socket & your choice of tool (impact gun, breaker bar, ratchet) - from now on I'll omit this tool list unless I have a specific recommendation (air tools are always preferred IMO)
    8. Set tire aside

9. May be a good idea to hit the bolts/nuts with PB Blaster at this time
    10. Using the 18mm socket & 18mm back wrench remove the shock to yoke retaining nut

11. Remove the shock to yoke retaining bolt by pulling up slightly on the LCA to remove pressure on the bolt

12. Using the 24mm deep socket remove the yoke to LCA retaining nut

13. The yoke is effectively pressed onto the LCA tapered stud, you need to break the pressed fit; this step gave me some trouble as I didn't have a good 2-arm gear puller. Take care of the yoke as you'll be reusing it. I tried a 3-arm gear puller, but was worried about damaging the yoke machined surface. I found I could take a large C-clamp and draw in the yoke to flush against the control arm, and then take a hammer and whack the stud a couple times. This didn't noticeably free it up, but once I tried to remove the control arm and twisted the yoke on the stud it came right off. I never actually removed the yoke from the shock. A pic of the gear puller:

14. Using the 18mm socket & 18mm combination back wrench remove the stabilizer shaft end link lower retaining nut (Moog FTW!); if you have stock end links you'll need to use an 18mm combination wrench and a 5mm or 6mm allen wrench (can't remember which size) - this is a great time to replace those old end links with serviceable Moogs!

15. Remove the stabilizer shaft link from the LCA
    16. Remove the ABS wire harness from the LCA
    17. Using the 21mm socket and impact gun remove the LCA to steering knuckle nut (ball joint nut); if you don't have an impact gun you'll most likely need a 21mm combination wrench and 5mm or 6mm allen wrench

18. Take your hammer and whack the LCA to steering knuckle stud (ball joint stud); this is a tapered fit they you need to break free; we don't care about the condition of the bolt because we are installing a new LCA
    19. We now need to raise the power steering gear to have clearance when removing the rear LCA to frame retaining bolts
    20. Using a 18mm combination wrench, remove the two power steering gear retaining bolts

21. Take a marking tool and try to mark where the LCA to frame nuts and bolts sit - you'll need to try and match the position when installing the new LCA to ensure a decent alignment
    22. You may have to drop the lower splash shield to access the front bolts/nuts
    23. Using the 21mm socket & a 21mm back wrench, remove the LCA to cradle nuts and bolts; both bolts should be pointing forward and the steering rack will need to be raised out of the way to remove the rear one

24. Remove the LCA by lowering it at the frame and moving the ball stud upwards

INSTALLATION
    25. Install the new LCA by inserting the ball stud into the steering knuckle and then rotating the LCA up into the frame
    26. At this point I actually inserted all bolts and put nuts on a couple threads
    27. Install the LCA to frame bolts (they should ALL point forwards towards the front of the vehicle); try to match the bolt/nut locations with the marks you made earlier during removal
    28. Using the 21mm socket and 21mm back wrench tighten the LCA to frame nuts/bolts; torque to 96 ft/lbs
    29. Add blue thread-locker to the steering gear retaining bolts and use the 18mm combination wrench to tighten the steering gear retaining bolts; torque to 89 ft/lbs (couldn't actually get my torque wrench on them)
    30. Using a 21mm socket install the LCA to steering knuckle nut; torque to 15 ft/lbs and then tighten nut an additional 210 degrees
    31. Install the ABS wire harness to the new LCA
    32. Using the 18mm socket and 18mm back wrench install the stabilizer shaft end link to the LCA; torque to 81 ft/lbs
    33. Install the yoke to LCA retaining nut with blue thread-locker (if you haven't already) but don't tighten at this time
    34. Install the yoke to the shock and install the retaining bolt with blue thread-locker and nut using an 18mm socket and 18mm back wrench; torque to 81 ft/lbs
    35. Torque the yoke to LCA retaining nut to 133 ft/lbs
    36. Install the wheel & tire using a 3/4" socket. Torque to 100 ft/lbs (may need to do this with tires touching the ground). Make sure you tighten in proper sequence (if studs are numbered sequentially - 1, 4, 6, 3, 5, 2).
    37. Install the lug nut cover.
    38. Jack up the front of the vehicle to remove the jack stands. Lower the vehicle.
    39. Remove the wheel chocks and carefully drive to the nearest alignment center!!! A special tool is required to adjust the caster & camber - ensure your shop is capable of aligning the SRX before you spend any money.

Final thoughts - All in all this project wasn't so bad. I'd say the trickiest part was figuring out exactly how to remove the yoke from the LCA. As always, the lift and air tools are a big help. The front end is much quieter now and my wife is back to enjoying her ride...

I hope this information is useful to someone.

-ace

My 'how-to' posts:
    srxgirlie likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

valjan1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts4 1SG v8 perf pakge

Re: How to: Front Lower Control Arm Replacement

Hello
    it is a very good presentation but you forgot something.
    before thightening the lca bolts you must lift it so i has to be like the wheel is resting on the ground otherwise it will put too much stress on the bushings when you hit a bump and the wheel is lifted at maximum because you have thightened it at its most lower position

SRT ACE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Re: How to: Front Lower Control Arm Replacement

I've attached a PDF of the how-to to this post as I'm deleting the photos from my server. Moderators, please feel free to contact me for the originals if you'd like to host.

-ace
    Attached Files

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.