2008 SRX4 Transmission intermittent high rpm at highway speed?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2008 SRX4 Transmission intermittent high rpm at highway speed? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi, We bought a used 2008 SRX4 back around Feb. Love the car and everything runs great! Just a question ...
    WildSioux is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX4

2008 SRX4 Transmission intermittent high rpm at highway speed?

Hi, We bought a used 2008 SRX4 back around Feb. Love the car and everything runs great! Just a question about this high rpm at highway speeds.

So at 70 mph the rpm is normally around 2100. However it sometimes is at 2800-3000 rpm. Letting off the gas will drop it down. This also happens when cruise is on and it downshifts to maintain speed. However once on level again, it doesnt shift into overdrive.

I dont believe this is normal and doesnt indicate a mechanical issue but rather a software one. Is there an update that may fix this? or is it something more serious? Still have factory warranty

Maybe one of the cadillac advisors can check for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2008 SRX4 Transmission intermittent high rpm at highway speed?

Hello there WildSioux,

We're thrilled to hear that (aside from the high rpm concern you're having) everything is going so well with your SRX! While we cannot look into TSB information ourselves, we can ask our Technical Assistance Center to see if those RPMs are normal and can also check to provide more warranty information for you. Please send us a direct message with the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll be happy to help!

Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Input your VIN at this site (http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web) and browse thru the history of the various controllers. This will give an idea if there's any updated calibrations to address your issue. I know on my 07 there is an update to address the prolonged time it takes to upshift if I manually downshift from 5 to 4 and back to 5. This site will not tell you if your ECM has these update(s). Since you have warranty left a dealer can check for updates if one exists.
    It is a minor annoyance for me but not enough to pay to have the ECM updated.

@ Sarah, i sent an email to katie. i dont have enough for pm.

@ n7don...I've tried the manual downshift 5 to 4 back to 5 and it still stays high?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Don't you have 100K mile powertrain warranty? Anyway, I'd check fluid level.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

[QUOTE=WildSioux;3087943
    @ n7don...I've tried the manual downshift 5 to 4 back to 5 and it still stays high?[/QUOTE]

I would assume this issue would have been fixed in your 08 model. But there may be other calibration issues related to your concern that would be listed by inputting your VIN in the link I posted.

frogblender is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

WildSioux, did you ever get this resolved? My 06 SRX V6 similarly downshifts at the drop of a hat, at all speeds, and I too believe this is a software issue - the GM software guys were trying for "responsiveness" (or some silliness), at the great expense of fuel economy.

My honda, on the other hand, does it correct: the engine will always try to lug in the lowest gear possible. And it shows in the Honda's substantially better fuel economy, both city and highway, despite outweighing the srx by 500 lbs.

Listening to the engine, and watching the SRX's tach needle wander all over god's green earth during my normal-bordering-on-old-lady-style driving is driving me nuts.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Mine does that... and my dealership has looked at it a few times...

I am told it is normal for these cars to do that.

My personal work around is to put it in Manual M5 when I am using the cruise, or in random hilly situations.

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

My '08 V6 SRX often downshifts into fourth and even third gear when negotiating steep hills.
    Putting it in manual 5th will allow it to not downshift, but it isn't likely to hold the desired speed.
    I chalk this up to insufficient torque output of this motor and would not have likely bought the car with this
    motor had I been aware of the deficiency.
    As an afterthought, you might try using the "tow" feature with when driving in hilly areas since it will program the downshift for occur sooner, but is likely to affect gas consumption if you run it on level ground this way.

Quote Originally Posted by frogblender View Post
    WildSioux, did you ever get this resolved? My 06 SRX V6 similarly downshifts at the drop of a hat, at all speeds, and I too believe this is a software issue - the GM software guys were trying for "responsiveness" (or some silliness), at the great expense of fuel economy.

My honda, on the other hand, does it correct: the engine will always try to lug in the lowest gear possible. And it shows in the Honda's substantially better fuel economy, both city and highway, despite outweighing the srx by 500 lbs.

Listening to the engine, and watching the SRX's tach needle wander all over god's green earth during my normal-bordering-on-old-lady-style driving is driving me nuts.
    No I never got this fixed. I had dealer look at it but they couldn't duplicate... of course.

I have noticed that when cold or having sat for over30 minutes it has this lethargic behavior. Only wat way to get it to shift into final gear 5 is to let of gas completely, then it will cruise going 70 mph at around 2100 rpm. But only when at full operating temps. Anything from cold start to under normal operating temp it will remain in 4th or 3rd gear.

I did find this thread from older sts/seville about a baNod torque converter solenoid.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-solenoid.html

Not sure if that is what is wrong. I have just learned to live with a lazy transmission.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

You may be seeing the convertor unlock.

How do you guys not hit stuff paying so much attention to the tach.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.