Bad Gas Cap?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Bad Gas Cap? in Cadillac SRX Forums; So the wife was driving our 'new' SRX and had this happen, it was like the power steering went out ...
    Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Bad Gas Cap?

So the wife was driving our 'new' SRX and had this happen, it was like the power steering went out and came back, then the check engine and trac control light came on. it then stalled. check engine light would stay on. She could start it but then it would stall out again. So I went to go get her and I took the gas cap off and put it back on, not pushing, but until it clicked a bunch of times. I got it home, and then took it to work and it ran okay, still have the check engine light on, but would a bad gas cap make ALL those things happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Re: Bad Gas Cap?

I doubt a bad gas cap would cause those issues. If there is a Check Engine Light on you need to have the codes read to see what system(s) has set the codes. You can go to Auto Zone and they will do it for you. Once you have the codes post them here and maybe we can figure out what's wrong. Whatever you do, don't let the Auto Zone guy try and tell you what parts you need to fix it.

I just found it odd that taking off the gas cap and putting it back on would rectify the situation. I realize it kind of answers my own question, but why would the vehicle do all this for just a friggin gas cap?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

It can throw off the pressure sensors in the tank, cause problems and light the CEL.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Okay, so at lunch no big issue. I go to leave work, it starts up runs horribly rough and throws me a 'engine power reduced' message and hitting the gas doesn't do a thing.

Talk about buyers remorse.

Get your codes read as rlh suggested then maybe you won't be so remorseful.
    jbowen52 and jbowen52 like this.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Get your codes read as rlh suggested then maybe you won't be so remorseful.
    Nothing we can do if he refuses to listen to our advise. It is impossible to just guess at what the issue is without knowing what the codes are.

Had it flat bedded to the dealership so I'll find out today sometime.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Sheepish, if you would like me to contact the dealership on your behalf next week to follow up for you, please let me know! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

I'm glad to see the glake & rlh jumped in to offer helpful advice, and please keep us updated as to your dealership's diagnosis when you get the chance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

It seems it was the mighty MAF sensor, so hopefully come Tuesdayish I'll be back out on the road.

so got the beast back yesterday afternoon, MAF sensor on board. seems to be running better than before the limp mode issue. Going to keep track and see if I get better mpg than what I was. However, getting the 'service stability system' message, but I"m thinking it's perhaps low brake fluid. only occurs when I'm hitting the brakes, and doesn't pop up when I first start it up.

I"m thinking it's perhaps low brake fluid.
    That would bring on a 'check brake fluid' message. The DIC can be very precise. You've got something in the ABS not working properly. Might be a new code has set. Not likely serious but I would want to find out before the roads get slippery.

Ok, just to keep the thread up to date. After having the car back a few days it starts doing the same thing. Runs rough, engine and TC light come on, then starts stalling right in the middle of wherever. No limp mode however, so that's a plus. Pull it into the dealership and guy seems pretty concerned. Keep it over night and either puts in a new ECM or flashes the old one, I have to go over the paperwork on that, but it seems to be running better now, but I guess I"ll see after about a week. He told me the ECM wasn't covered under warranty but that he would 'warranty' it anyway. I had read that there were ECM issues in the early SRXs so I wonder if there really is a type of warranty but he just wanted to sound like 'the cool guy'. I could care less It was free so I'm good.

Just wanted to quote this because last night it did the same thing. Has been running great and then probably say about a week or 2 ago the wife drove it and it ran rough, engine light, etc. I took off and put on the gas cap and a couple starts later the engine light went off and it was fine. so I ordered a new AC Delco cap and replaced the old one a few days ago. Drove fine yesterday then got in to sub for bowling and it was in limp mode right off the bat. Went out this morning to see any different and now it won't stay running. This is going to get pretty old if this keeps doing this every month. I wouldn't think bad gas because it's over half of a full tank and bad gas would get it a lot quicker than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
    Ok, just to keep the thread up to date. After having the car back a few days it starts doing the same thing. Runs rough, engine and TC light come on, then starts stalling right in the middle of wherever. No limp mode however, so that's a plus. Pull it into the dealership and guy seems pretty concerned. Keep it over night and either puts in a new ECM or flashes the old one, I have to go over the paperwork on that, but it seems to be running better now, but I guess I"ll see after about a week. He told me the ECM wasn't covered under warranty but that he would 'warranty' it anyway. I had read that there were ECM issues in the early SRXs so I wonder if there really is a type of warranty but he just wanted to sound like 'the cool guy'. I could care less It was free so I'm good.

Well, you've got DTCs in there somewhere, you might want to find out what they are. Symptoms also sound like evap. canister system may be malfunctioning.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.