Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Bad Gas Cap?

23K views 85 replies 14 participants last post by  Xocticz 
#1 ·
So the wife was driving our 'new' SRX and had this happen, it was like the power steering went out and came back, then the check engine and trac control light came on. it then stalled. check engine light would stay on. She could start it but then it would stall out again. So I went to go get her and I took the gas cap off and put it back on, not pushing, but until it clicked a bunch of times. I got it home, and then took it to work and it ran okay, still have the check engine light on, but would a bad gas cap make ALL those things happen?

#80 ·
Just read thru this thread and see what I've done and see if that fixes anything. Try the 'throttle body flip' if you're able to and I'd be curious if that helps. and I hope you have or know someone with a code reader :)

Although I probably should say those issues could be other things, and if you get your codes read let us know here what they are. I changed my gas cap out a long time ago but that wasn't the issue, but hey, new gas cap! :)

#83 ·
Well I also spoke too soon. the very next day after posting this (my car must be able to read the internet) it had the same issues. Unplugged the throttle body plug, plugged it back in and it was good to go. So I'll replace that pigtail here in a day or two.

#84 ·
You know I feel bad I never resolved this thread. I got a new pigtail and swapped out the old one, found a broken wire in the casing on one of them and I imagine what happened was intermittent contact was having it run 'fine' and when I would jostle stuff around to 'flip the flap' it was 'fixing' it for a bit. After I changed it I never had a problem with it again until the wife decided to do some extracurricular body work to the car. :)

So I wanted to thank everyone for putting up with my very strange detective work on this issue. You guys helped a ton.

#85 ·
Thank you so much for the interesting read on yet another gloomy Michigan day. We have a 2004 SRX that showed similar problems just recently. Went like this : 1- New throttle body, lasted two weeks more codes
2- Took to dealer number 8 coil pack bad they replaced, one week latter more codes
3- Took to dealer, told plugs probably fouled because of coil
4- Wife drove home, next day I start replacing plugs notice odd number engine bank has new coil packs I replace even side .
5- Been four weeks crossing fingers, if happens again I going for that pigtail. Some times you just shake your head and move on.

#86 ·
Same issue with my 05 SRX. The "Gas Cap" simply means check your fuel tank. Replace either your sensors or replace fuel tank pump. The diagnostic would state that
there's air in the lines, but how could that be. I changed all sensor and checked pump. Now, error messages are off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.