Bad Gas Cap? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Bad Gas Cap? in Cadillac SRX Forums; It's been two days shy of 10 weeks, Sheepish. You have a lot more patience than I do. PJ...
    PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: Bad Gas Cap?

It's been two days shy of 10 weeks, Sheepish. You have a lot more patience than I do.

PJ

Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Well, to be honest it's kind of running out. Although the dealer here has been pretty nice about giving me info. He gave me all the printouts of every warranty work claim done to the car, which showed that both cats have been changed, and one of the head gaskets was changed as well. It just makes me think that the dealership in lansing, mi got it running as good as they could to get rid of it, which to me would be against their certified used program.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

If a Caddy dealer sold a 2004 CPO certified pre-owned, I would be very surprised, even if the mileage was low. It is too old. Some used vehicles only come with 90 day warranties if the factory warranty (ies) have expired. These short term used car warranties vary so much state to state (law) that I could not speculate whether you are in a position to have the parts and labor covered by the dealer.

I am not mechanically inclined. If the problem has persisted after (just) one trip back to the dealer (Sept. 14 was it?). If I was going to have the same (selling) dealer fix it on my dime, I'd leave the SRX with the dealer for a couple of weeks and let them experience the symptoms (and codes) first hand and iron this out before returning the vehicle to me (you).

Remember, all dealerships (and their service techs) are not created equal. Do you think that your dealership is up to it? I am not suggesting you changes horses quite yet. But if they can't properly diagnose the issue(s) and then fix them without merely throwing parts at it until the symptoms and codes go away, then I would consider another dealership.

I am going to have to go back and read your posts back from the beginning.

PJ

I would think it was certified pre owned as I had the 3k/3 month powertrain warranty given to me from cadillac.

I gave him some ideas, especially throttle body as it seems that those are issues with 2004ish SRXs. He seems pretty good actually, having it and looking it over for a few days and not finding anything, pulling all the codes and then not charging me.

so it seems I have a Borg Caddy. Fixed itself again while at the dealership after sitting over thanksgiving. Pulled these codes: P2176, C0242,C0244,C0461, C0561, U1000, U1016, P0101, P1101, P0068, P0171, P0174, P2119, P2135 which seem to be pretty much the same ones. Now, I don't know if they really don't know what's up or just don't want to dig into it that much. I asked if the throttle body or some intake imbalance could pop these codes and cause limp mode.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Sheep, have you ever dug into finding a vacuum leak downstream of the throttle body, especially the ribbed connector to the manifold? Also, have you tried wiggling all the major module connectors on and near the engine? You've got a vacuum leak and communication problems which are easy to correct if you take the time.

I suspect, if you did get a warranty, the dealer likely thinks he won't get paid enough to spend the time looking. My offer still stands.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

No I didn't look really. Call me lazy. No really, go ahead. If I would trust the thing to make that trip I might take you up on the offer. They still have it for another day or 2, maybe it'll go wrong for them while driving it, but really, isn't that what the codes are for anyway?

edit: and downstream meaning from the engine back to the airbox? would a vaccuum leak in the airbox itself be an issue? also, what a pita to change the air filter. geez.

Your leak is likely in the area indicated.

leak.PNG

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

"Not leaning any way in general really just yet, there are various things we check to see if it has been under water it does not appear that this was a flood vehicle."

is what I got from my guy at the dealership. Sooo..since he has all those codes wouldn't you think he could lean one way or another? or is he basically not wanting to work on it?

is he basically not wanting to work on it?
    Sounds like it.

And, of course, as it sits at the dealership they've said it starts and runs fine. *sigh*. So I'm probably going to pick it up in the next day or 2 and spend time after work every night just tracking down potential vacuum issues. however I'll probably buy a reader that can clear codes because I wonder if that's what enables it to 'reset' so it runs okay for a while.

This makes no sense, for them it runs fine but it's full of DTCs and they won't fix that? You might want to consider Michigan lemon law. See how they respond to that.

I tried looking that up and there's no lemon law for used vehicles. Which is poop. What is the specific make/model of your code reader/clearer?

I think mine has been replaced by a newer model. This one should do what you need.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ers%2Fscanners

there are other brands that will do the same.

oh that looks pretty cool, thanks. So I could plug that in and drive around and monitor when something kicks up and see the resulting errors in real time eh? I've never used one before.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.