Bad Gas Cap? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Bad Gas Cap? in Cadillac SRX Forums; And that won't pop some odd code and give me a nice lawn ornament for a time will it?...
    Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Bad Gas Cap?

And that won't pop some odd code and give me a nice lawn ornament for a time will it?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

If it did it would probably be a first. You don't feel lucky?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D

It is common for the DSM guys to pressurize the intake system looking for boost leaks, way easier to hear when the engine is off.

Will putting 10-20 PSI on the intake hurt anything?

I can't see it hurting anything at that pressure but I wonder if it would get to the right places under pressure not vacuum, hook up a vacuum pump or brake bleeder maybe with engine off.

We use Home Depot to build the cap and just put it on the turbo inlet, works awesome.

I haven't checked anything yet, been too darn cold, but I have a check engine light now the last couple days. But that's it. Runs fine, just that light. makes me lean more towards some odd air leak than anything else.

Okay so this is getting interesting. Yesterday we hopped in to go to coldwater for a family thanksgiving thing, and no warning lights at all. Great, I think, today should be a good day! When I was getting on the highway I clicked on the cruise (it was in the off position) and when I hit to set it, nothing happened. So I looked down and had engine and trac lights on, which weren't on when I was turning to get on the offramp, I looked. Okay...maybe something is up in the steering column. It ran 'okay' the rest of the way there but when I'd let off the gas it would noticeably 'clunk' like it wasn't running quite right, so I'd use the sport shift to down shift and that helped a bit. We get into coldwater and whenever I'd turn the wheel I'd feel a 'grab' for just a real quick second, nothing to affect driving. We turn onto their road and it stalls. I coast to the side and restart it. Now I just have the engine light and it gets to their house. It was at this point I was going to check the oil and when I popped the hood I notice that the dealership never re-secured the engine cover from when they had it last weekend. So I check the oil (about halfway in the safe area, so I'm using it a little bit it seems) and put the cover back in place. We go to the store for them later, just an engine light, and then coming out of the store, no warning lights. Last night driving home I let off the gas and the engine light comes on but that's it the rest of the way, I don't touch the cruise. I had to come into work this morning and when I'm coming up to turn into work, the left turn signal doesn't work at all, until after I turn left then it's fine.

What a weird vehicle.

Good attitude, now get your new codes read and report, please.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

So what would you recommend for a code reader? If this occurs often I'd imagine it'll be much cheaper just to have one.

I've got an Actron that will read and erase,show freeze frame, history and live monitoring. Got it from Advance Auto, as I recall, near $200 +/-

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Get a code reader that can not only read codes but also erase them.

so I don't have a reader yet, and not sure what timeframe it'll be before I get one, but I like playing the 'what the heck is it game', so I'll throw out the throttle body possibility. Could the timing of hitting the gas, or letting up on it with a gunked up TB possibly cause it to toss errors out there? it seems my p2119, p2135, p2176 issues might be related to that, or that the TB is bad, seems I've read that GM had issues with them for some time.

DTC P2119
    Circuit Description

The engine control module (ECM) controls the throttle valve by applying a varying voltage to the throttle actuator control motor. The ECM monitors the actual throttle valve position using throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2. If the ECM detects the throttle valve did not return to the rest position within a calibrated time, this DTC sets.
    DTC P2176
    Circuit Description

The engine control module (ECM) controls the throttle valve by applying a varying voltage to the throttle actuator control (TAC) motor. The ECM monitors the actual throttle valve position using throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2. If the ECM detects that TP sensor 1 and 2 voltages are not within a specified range during the throttle learn procedure or the throttle learn procedure is not learned after an ECM replacement, this DTC sets.
    DTC P2138
    Circuit Description

The accelerator pedal assembly contains 2 accelerator pedal position (APP) sensors. The APP sensors are mounted in the pedal assembly and are not serviceable. The APP sensors provide a signal voltage that changes relative to the position of the accelerator pedal. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a separate 5-volt reference and low reference circuit for each of the APP sensors.

The APP sensor 1 signal voltage increases as the pedal is depressed, from approximately 1 volt at rest to above 4 volts when fully depressed. The APP sensor 2 signal voltage increases as the pedal is depressed, from approximately 0.5 volts at rest to more than 2 volts with the accelerator pedal fully depressed.

If the ECM detects that the difference between APP sensor 1 and 2 signal voltage is more than a predetermined value, this DTC sets.

Couldn't find P2135 so I did 38.

so I'm curious why they can't broadcast those codes to the info screen on the SRXs, aside from making sure you go in and see the dealer.

Oh and thanks for that. so if it's not gunked up, it could just be 'bad' as well.

making sure you go in and see the dealer.
    Right!

Do some checking and cleaning then erase the codes. They may not come back. Also, most of these codes are saying that things are not as expected so if car is running OK it's no big deal.

well out on the road the car decided to go into limp mode. about 15 minutes later I was able to get it started with just the check engine light and get it to the dealership, so no tow charges, but I had mentioned things for him to look at, so we'll see from there.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It sounds like a flood car to me.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.