Bad Gas Cap? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Bad Gas Cap? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Maybe. It's at the dealership now and I told him to get me the codes (he 'forgot' last time)....
    Sheepish is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD

Re: Bad Gas Cap?

Maybe. It's at the dealership now and I told him to get me the codes (he 'forgot' last time).

codes codes and more codes! it must be getting close to xmas!!
    P0101
    P1101
    P0068
    P0171
    P0174
    P2119
    P2135
    P2176
    C0242
    C0244
    C0461
    C0561
    V1000
    V1016

Oh sure yell at me when I don't post codes then don't say anything when I finally do. so it's been at the dealership taking up a parking space since friday morning. They can't figure out what is up with it. It started and drove fine yesterday so the tech took it home to see if it did it in the morning.

Now, and this sounds weird, but I did wash it a day or 2 before and it had a high pressure undercarriage. could that have done 'something' and over time as it dries out it gets better?

Edit as of 10:30 am: silly thing just started right up again and ran fine after sitting overnight.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Did you pull enough codes lol. Research each one cause you have such a variety. Some of those could be bcm or tcm codes on top op engine codes

Oh I've looked them up, or at least most of them..dunno what the "V" codes are..but I was hoping some of the caddy/GM gurus on here could pare down what I've got (a shotgun of codes) into something more managable.

As it stands, it's running fine, so I'm going to pick it up this evening. Maybe. Possibly.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Have your wife pick up the SRX and thoroughly road test it. There is no sense in you getting caught broken down on the side of the road. And we won't forget to put roses on your grave.

PJ

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Get a code reader! It would have saved you at least $100 in this instance alone.

Ha. Thanks. the problem is when it first crapped the bed on me, I had been driving it for 1/2 an hour thru town. Had it sit for 2 hours, got back in and it decided it liked where it was. So who knows?

w6gpm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
    Oh I've looked them up, or at least most of them..dunno what the "V" codes are..but I was hoping some of the caddy/GM gurus on here could pare down what I've got (a shotgun of codes) into something more managable.

As it stands, it's running fine, so I'm going to pick it up this evening. Maybe. Possibly.
    Sheep...are you sure that was a "V" code and not "U". I can't find a V code. Check this out....http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

Oh maybe it was a U code. It was written down for me, so I'd hope the guy either doesn't have poor eyesight or isn't dyslexic.

And they didn't charge me a dime for diagnostics or anything. I was quite surprised.

but I picked it up last night, took it out on the highway, drove it around city wise, etc. Nothing. Drove just fine. Got up this morning preparing to speak sailorese and started right up. Got a low pressure tire warning but it's cold out so it sounds like I need to get some more air in the tires. Not horrible yet I'll deal with that after work. Beats the crap out of me.

BTW thanks for that code list link, that's really awesome!!

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Sheep, I've been gone 5 days so couldn't answer your code list, so here goes,

The P codes all relate to air flow performance readings being out of spec incl. MAF, throttle body, TP sensor and lean fuel trim. To me that means you had (have) a vacuum leak between the MAF and the cylinders. None of them should really affect performance but might contribute to the starting problem.

The C codes have to do with the ABS, 561 means it is disabled. Somewhere I did some work with 242/4 and 461 but I forget what.

The U codes are a loss of communication between modules such as ECM and TCM. Can lead to really hard shifts, esp. downshifts but can be remedied just by erasing the codes if communication is restored, which seems to happen by itself sometimes. My opinion is that the electrical connectors at the modules are poor and can leak or need to be wiggled to restore good continuity. Your wash may have contributed.

Hope this helps
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

so for a possible vaccuum leak, I should take the shroud off and start looking for cracked lines then yes? or could it be something more insidious?

It's very often a split line or a loose clamp or bolts as in intake manifold, but be careful, being in aluminum they can't take a lot of torque. Just be reasonable. If the codes don't come back it may have self-healed. Bring it up if you want, I'm cheap and I'll help look!

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

well thank you for the offer sir. I'd probably spend more in gas there and back than someone looking at it here, but I appreciate the offer.

are there good schematics/blowups of the area in question?

I would get the engine cover off and then inspect every line you can find. If you can remove a line, test it with a vacuum pump or low pressure. Look for bolts or clamps holding mating surfaces together and with engine running, spray liberally with WD-40 to see if it gets sucked in where the two parts join. It's tedious but I know no other way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.