Key Stuck in Ignition
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Key Stuck in Ignition in Cadillac SRX Forums; I bought a key and programmed it with no problem. Today, I stuck the new key in the ignition to ...
    Dachristianman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Key Stuck in Ignition

I bought a key and programmed it with no problem. Today, I stuck the new key in the ignition to back the car out and now the car won't start and I can't get my key out of the ignition.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Re: Key Stuck in Ignition

There is a key release hole on the underside of the steering column. It may be protected by a slotted plastic cap. Remove the plastic cap if present and use a pen point to depress the tab while trying to turn the key back to off. That should get the key out.

Try the other key to see if the vehicle still starts after you get the current one out.

Thanks. I located the tab and was able to get the key out. The original key won't start the car either. The theft light goes out, but nothing happens when I try to start it. No clicks, nothing. All the lights are on like it's getting power, but it's been sitting for 2 weeks while we were on vacation, so I'm wondering if the battery is somehow slowly draining. I tried to hook up some jumper cables, but it still wouldn't turn over. I have the battery disconnected now with a battery charger hooked up to it. I'll let it charge for a couple hours and see what happens.

Does the check engine light illuminate with the key in the ON position? Any messages on the DIC?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

possibly a bad ecm... (worst case scenario)

you sure the battery is not dead?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Open the underhood fuse panel. Near the front is a large connector w/ lots of wires. There's a large purple wire there. Jump that to B+ withe key in run and car should start. Drive it and then erase codes, all should be well.

Charged the battery, still won't turn over. No codes, except a "service tire pressure system" that wasn't there before.

Glake89...I found the large purple wire. What is B+ that I'm supposed to jump it to? Is that another wire on the plug?

As it is, I have a large, expensive boat anchor parked in my driveway.

I don't get a CEL with the key in, but I hooked up my scanner and pulled a U0100 code: Lost comm with ECM PCM A. ???

Also, my traction control light is showing "off" and my gas needle doesn't move.

B+ would be the battery positive terminal. You have the symptoms of a failed or failing ecm. I had a similar condition with my CTS last week. Your shifter light is probably off, and your oil life and transmission life probably do not register on the DIC anymore either.

For future readers/searchers, jumping the purple wire to the positive side of the battery woke the car up, thanks Glake89 for that tip. Once it started, it ran well. I did have to erase 2 codes, the 0100 ECM and a 0700 (tranmission something-or-another). The key came out on its own which is a positive. Ternstes, I have my oil and transmission life back, both reading as appropriate (they didn't reset). I also have my fuel needle reading correctly.

I'll keep an eye on the computer and will keep a jumper wire and pen in the back just in case it decides to act up again. I may spring for a $100 junkyard ECM just to have it on hand.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

I may spring for a $100 junkyard ECM just to have it on hand.
    Won't do much good; has to be programmed to the car by a dealer to work.

that, plus a salvage yard ECM might just go bad on you in a couple months like this one did
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

So is this an issue where I have to take it to the dealer to have repaired?

yes and no ... it will have to be programmed by a dealer but you don't need to have them install it (though it is probably a good idea)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.