Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; OK, on the CTS board, there are a couple of guys with LY7s that claim they have fixed their oil ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

OK, on the CTS board, there are a couple of guys with LY7s that claim they have fixed their oil consumption problem by modding their PCV orifice fitting. I just performed this mod - it is ridiculously easy and fast, and if you are well-equipped (tools, get your mind out of the gutter) it shouldn't cost anything.

The PCV orifice fitting lives in the right (passenger's side) valve cover, in the rear. It has a hose that clips onto it. The fitting is shaped like a PCV valve, only the neck is narrower and the base has two holes instead of one. It has no valve, but is continuously letting crankcase vapors pass.

The mod is to drill out two of the three holes to 7/64". My theory (and I haven't proven it yet) is that by opening up the holes, you reduce the velocity of the air flowing through the system, decreasing the amount of oil in suspension, and thereby reducing the amount burned off.

I used the following tools - a pair of medium sized vice grip pliers, a 7/64" drill bit and drill, a deep well 13mm 3/4" drive socket, a short 3/4" drive extension, a soft mallet, and some sealant (like Permatex Ultra Grey).

Step One: Displace (but do not remove) the engine cover by removing the power steering and oil filler caps and pulling up on the cover (it just snaps off and snaps back in):

Step Two: Remove the PCV hose by pulling back on the clip and pulling up on the hose end:

Step Three: Adjust the vice grip pliers so that it grips the flange on the PCV fitting neck. Don't go crazy or you will be buying a new one, and they are on national back order:

Step Four: Wiggle the vice grips side-to-side while pulling up. This shouldn't take much effort.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

Step Five: Drill out the hole in the neck, and then flip it over and drill out the bigger of the two holes. If you can't tell which one is bigger, get a 1/16" drill bit to compare sizes - the 1/16" will fit in the big hole but not the small one. Make sure you blow out the metal chips with an air hose, and now would be a good time to spray the orifice out with carb cleaner.

Step Six: Make sure you didn't distort the flange excessively. If so, take a nail file to clean it up. Don't worry if it is a little chewed. Take a very small amount of sealant and apply to the base of the orifice fitting - make sure not to slop it on or you will block the holes in the base and make things worse.

Step Seven: Insert the fitting back into the camshaft cover, and use the socket, extension and mallet to firmly seat the fitting. Again, don't go crazy, just enough to drive the fitting home. GM recommends giving the fitting a twist to eliminate leaks from vertical voids in the sealant.

Step Eight: Reconnect the hose, pulling up on it to make sure it is properly seated.

Step Nine: Snap the engine cover back on and replace the power steering and oil filler caps.

Step Ten: Close the hood, have a beer, and enjoy the thought of saving up to $50 in oil between oil changes.

Some of those shots are with an extra PCV hose I had, just to clarify how the clip works and how the fitting seats on the flange. The sealing is with an o-ring in the fitting, so the flange is a retainer, not a seal.

I have not tested this mod, but will be monitoring oil consumption. I was up to as much as 1qt per 800 miles. I will, of course, update as I discover more information.

I have a ton more pix if anyone needs any additional information. I hope you find this useful.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Excellent write up! Can you keep updated as to if theres any oil usage, and if you notice more gas vapor in the oil? Many thanks.

-travis

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

so what's the theory or explanation behind this? why didn't the engineers do this from the beginning?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    so what's the theory or explanation behind this? why didn't the engineers do this from the beginning?
    My guess is that they didn't anticipate or think it their responsibility if 1) engines weren't broken in properly (mine wasn't, though I knew better) or 2) oil selection recommendations weren't rigorously followed (I used lots of dino oil in this engine).

In my opinion, there are too many people out there who don't have a problem with their engine to chalk this up to a design issue. I think engines that aren't broken in or maintained right have too much blowby with too much PCV velocity, allowing too much oil to be in suspension and to be drawn into the intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    Excellent write up! Can you keep updated as to if theres any oil usage, and if you notice more gas vapor in the oil? Many thanks.
    Not sure what you mean by "gas vapor in the oil", or why you think there would be more. Assuming you mean gasoline in the oil, I don't think that would be an issue since these engines are fuel injected and the engine is running fine otherwise. The risk, I think, is that the engine sludge more with lower PCV velocity, but since I have committed to running nothing but Pennzoil Platinum synthetic on a 5000 to 7500 OCI, I am pretty sure that's not going to be a concern.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    My guess is that they didn't anticipate or think it their responsibility if 1) engines weren't broken in properly (mine wasn't, though I knew better) or 2) oil selection recommendations weren't rigorously followed (I used lots of dino oil in this engine).

In my opinion, there are too many people out there who don't have a problem with their engine to chalk this up to a design issue. I think engines that aren't broken in or maintained right have too much blowby with too much PCV velocity, allowing too much oil to be in suspension and to be drawn into the intake manifold.
    Ok that makes a lot of sense to me
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PhoenixSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 SRX

The PCV (pre crankcase ventilation) needs to ventilate and stay ahead of the unburnt fuel and gasses from the motor. When it does not work (low CFM) correctly it contaminates and breaks down the oil. This can explain oil consumption. The mod may increase CFM but I would change my PCV valve after every oil change. I would also clean the inside of the vacuum lines going to the PCV valve to help with the air flow. Also oil in the intake manifold may also be a bad PCV valve.

my 2 cents

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Phoenix understands it!!! Most only think of the release of crankcase pressure. Here is a more detailed expalnation:

Understanding oil contamination from combustion byproducts

The evac system is not for the environment....it is to keep the engine alive and wear free as long as possible. Your not alone and 99% of car owners never think about it or realize whats happening over time. And yes, most will drive 50-75-100k plus miles and never know the damage gradually being done.

My qualifications?

over 35 years building race and performance engines.
    Mechanical & Automotive engineer by trade
    Graduate of the Reher Morrison Racing engine building school (one of the most respected in the world and a GM R&D contractor).
    Owner and driver of drag teams with multiple Divisional, National & World championships in both NHRA & IHRA in several classes (this is where every minute detail in an engine matters)
    And I tear down and build most every kind/brand of motor imaginable (except diesel) on a weekly basis.

So here goes:

Every motor has a certain amount of blow-by, the bigger the CI & the more boost the more blow-by (with everything else assumed is equal and no piston/ring/cylinder issue).

Most only look at the crankcase pressure portion and deal with that and that is only a small part of the crankcase evac systems function. The most important is the flushing & removal of the harmful combustion products before they have a chance to condense & settle into the crankcase oil.

These consist of:

Unburnt fuel
    Carbon monoxide
    water vapor
    carbon particles
    and several other harmful compounds that when mixed in the crankcase produce Sulfuric acid and as that accumulates past a certain PPM the bearing surfaces, wrist pins, and crank journals begin to be etched and start to damage. This is gradual of course so that’s why like you, most never realize whats happening.

The other very harmful byproduct is the very abrasive carbon particles (near diamond-like in abrasiveness) that many are to small to be caught by the oil filter and accelerate wear as well.

If you have a good cross flow of filtered fresh air entering one side of the crankcase (best is through a flow controlled breather), say the pass side oil fill cap, that fresh air will travel through the pass side valve cover, around the rockers, down the pushrod valley, through the center of the crankcase, (now on the LS6/2/3 valley cover with the fixed orifice it exits there drawn by vacuum so 1/2 the engine is still stagnant with foul compounds...especially the drivers side rocker area) up the drivers side pushrod valley, past the rockers and exits the rear of the drivers side valve cover flushing and pulling the compounds out BEFORE they can settle and condense into the crankcase. Now with out that flow the compounds settle and mix with the oil every time the engine cools. When started and run to operating temp the volatile of those are "flashed off" and again could be evacuated but if just venting with breathers, ONLY the excess crankcase pressure will exit and very little of the harmful compound mix goes with it and once the abrasive carbon particles mix with the oil they are there to stay reducing the protection your oil provides. Now if changing your oil after every track event then this is not an issue. But with a street driven car it is and I can tell you to just look at how dirt your oil gets as far as coloration when you eliminate the evacuation portion of a PCV system, but that tells very little. Send in an oil sample to a good analysis lab and the report back will verify everything I'm saying. The over the road trucking industry does this as a rule, and we do with our race engines as well looking for metal content that tells us a bearing is going away before we could ever detect it and knowing to freshen before a catastrophic failure.

Now back to the LS engine. Any built, big cube, or FI motor cannot breath using the valley cover fixed orifice as it is far to restrictive and excess pressure is a given. So we never use the valley cover vent tube but draw from the rear of the drivers side valve cover.

Now we come to the issue of FI builds that pressurize the intake manifold. Turbo or front mount centri SC systems, the problem with the OEM style system is as soon as you are under boost and the intake is under positive atmosphere you are pressurizing the crankcase directly via the vacuum nipple that evacs under non boost.

The only true solution for street driven cars is a oil separating crankcase evac system that will provide proper, continuous evac while operating under non-boost via the intake vacuum, and as soon as it senses pressurization a check valve senses this and closes blocking any chance of crankcase pressurization. Then as this happens a secondary valve opens and uses the suction/vacuum of the head unit to continue evacuation while the separating can traps & removes all the oil in suspension allowing only the gasses that do not effect the energy released per explosive event (you do NOT want ANY oil entering the intake air charge or residue/varnish forming on the compressor wheels throwing them off balance).

No oil caused detonation, no shortened engine life/increased wear, and the best of everything you need for the motor to perform properly & last as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixSRX View Post
    The mod may increase CFM but I would change my PCV valve after every oil change.
    It's not a valve, and mine was not blocked - I have the pix to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    Phoenix understands it!!!
    Actually, I don't think so. It's not a valve, it's an orifice. And I think making the hole bigger reduces, not increases, the PCV velocity. The oil is not magically "breaking down" and evaporating - I doubt oil does that in these engines. I think it more likely that the oil is being consumed because it is being held in suspension in the crankcase vapors due to high vapor velocity.

All I can say is that others who claim to have done this mod have claimed it cured their oil consumption after running the mod for thousands of miles without any ill effects and without any other mods.

Not trying to be cranky (no pun intended), but I was hoping this thread would be an instruction help those wanting to do the mod, and not a dissertation on crankcase ventilation theory.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixSRX View Post
    The PCV (pre crankcase ventilation) . . . .
    PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation, which means the vapors are drawn into the intake and burned in the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    The evac system is not for the environment....it is to keep the engine alive and wear free as long as possible.
    I don't know what evac system you are talking about, but the PCV system IS for the environment. There was a time when the systems would simply vent to atmosphere.

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Then why does the factory solution of re-ring and valve stem seals etc. seem to always cure the oil consumption problem. I have never seen a report that it didn't. ?????????

tormented is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 RW

ktr-sb is right, crankcase ventilation used to be (pre1965) a draft tube and a vented cap or caps in the valve cover(s) or a vented cap over the pushrod valley area. Positive Crankcase Ventilation was so named because engine vacuum was used to draw out the blowby gasses and re-introduce them to the combustion process. Works fine when gasses/fumes only are drawn in, but when liquid oil itself gets pulled in along with the fumes problems develop, oil doesn't burn cleanly and contributes to carbon build-up and other problems. slowing down the speed of the blowby being pulled by the engine vacuum hopefully slows down or stops the flow of oil that gets pulled along with the gasses/fumes. A different, better baffling system design would have been nice when this V6 was being developed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.