Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; so I had to check my 04 Malibu manual for break in... here's what it says... New Vehicle Break-In Notice: ...
    maddoggyusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

so I had to check my 04 Malibu manual for break in... here's what it says...

New Vehicle Break-In
    Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
    “break-in.” But it will perform better in the long run
    if you follow these guidelines:
    • Do not drive at any one speed — fast or
    slow — for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
    make full-throttle starts.
    • Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
    (322 km) or so. During this time your new
    brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops
    with new linings can mean premature wear
    and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in
    guideline every time you get new brake
    linings.
    • Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing
    a Trailer on page 4-40 for more information.

2007 SRX Manual says...

New Vehicle Break-In
    Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
    break-in. But it will perform better in the long
    run if you follow these guidelines for the
    first 500 miles (805 km):
    • Do not drive at any one constant speed,
    fast or slow.
    • Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
    • Do not make full-throttle starts; also refrain
    from using the full throttle while driving.
    Avoid downshifting to brake or slow
    the vehicle.

I highly doubt you could damage anything unless you were towing a 7,000 trailer 85 mph out of the dealership on Day 1. Using dino oil instead of synthetic may cause issues, but I highly doubt it's a break-in issue.

Odysseyvegas is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

cfishkin, I've got the rx catchcan, and did the pcv orifice mod. It has definitely helped. I'm still using oil, but about half of what I was going through before. Signifigantly, mileage has improved approx 1.5 mpg, and the engine seems to be running better. The big difference I have noticed is it pulls much better and doesn't downshift near as much for the same acceleration. SC has mentioned that it takes time for the engine to clean itself, and some may never do so dependent on their condition. I did not do this for performance, (I've got an 05 CTS 2.8!) but for better mileage, less oil consumption and better engine life. I recommend this step for anyone considering it. Ymmv.
    (Meant to mention the rx catchcan is a nice bit of kit too. A solid product.)

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Just an update:

GM now has changed the orfice size in the PCV barb to app the same size we have been sharing for years on this mod.

All LFX's now come (2013 april/may build dates) so I guess we did not know what we were doing.......and the new LT1 DI V8 for 2014 now comes with a "much improved oil separation system built into the valve covers to help reduce oil consumption and valve deposits".........LOL!
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Only took them 9 years lol

rlh6805 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX AWD 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    Just an update:

GM now has changed the orfice size in the PCV barb to app the same size we have been sharing for years on this mod.

All LFX's now come (2013 april/may build dates) so I guess we did not know what we were doing.......and the new LT1 DI V8 for 2014 now comes with a "much improved oil separation system built into the valve covers to help reduce oil consumption and valve deposits".........LOL!
    So can we go to the dealer and get one for an LFX motor and it will fit our LY7 motors? Or maybe even the auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh6805 View Post

So can we go to the dealer and get one for an LFX motor and it will fit our LY7 motors? Or maybe even the auto parts store.
    Auto part stores are def a no go that would be nice if the new ones fit for ours

BOOM_FIST is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX

Any update on this "mod"?? Thinking about doing it just to see if it helps at all. Excessive oil consumption going on with my 05 SRX. Just did the spark plugs and found a good bit of oil residue in the intake and intake manifold. HELP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM_FIST View Post
    Any update on this "mod"?? Thinking about doing it just to see if it helps at all. Excessive oil consumption going on with my 05 SRX. Just did the spark plugs and found a good bit of oil residue in the intake and intake manifold. HELP!!!!
    The pcv mod listed cured my oil ingestion in the intake no more in the airbox either. I haven't tried the catch can yet.

BOOM_FIST is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac SRX

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    The pcv mod listed cured my oil ingestion in the intake no more in the airbox either. I haven't tried the catch can yet.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll be doing the PCV mod at the very least then. Anything to help with this issue I'm up for!

tgar32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac cts lux. sport
    I cant see the pics in this thread. Does anyone else have the same problem? I am very interested in seeing the process for drilling out this fitting. I installed the RX catch can and from what i have read this is the next logical step.

desmar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx4
    Pics are not viewable in this thread. I thought these engine don't have the typical pcv , & this is why it never get change just maintain.
    PS my 3.6 v6 srx has 150000+ miles & have no oil consumption, always use Mobil 1 syn oil, I follow the dic recommendations & haven't had any mechanical issues of any types

There is a pcv fitting you can drill out that is a fix for oil consumption with the catch can install. Also i do use Mobil 1 full synthetic and still have issues. Its not the oil but how the engine was broken in, at least thats what i have read from guys on here that have a lot of experience.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by tgar32 View Post
    I cant see the pics in this thread. Does anyone else have the same problem? I am very interested in seeing the process for drilling out this fitting. I installed the RX catch can and from what i have read this is the next logical step.
    You do not need to drill out if you have the catch can.

Thats what i thought but i wasnt sure. I have read some of the guys on here do both. If thats the case then thats fine with me

Odysseyvegas is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Thumbs up Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

Definitely the first mod to do is the drill out of the PCV barb. This is the direct mod which will allow better breathing through your engine's pcv setup. The second mod should be the catch can as it will catch any sludge causing oil, contaminants, undesireables etc, which exist in that engine breathing mist. Both mods support each other, but the first one to do is the no cost one - drill out the pcv barb/fitting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.