Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by repnatl So do you think its possible to save my oil consumption with a catch can? Not ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    So do you think its possible to save my oil consumption with a catch can?
    Not according to what the catch can manufacturer said previously.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    I remain skeptical that this actually reduces oil consumption. With the larger holes the PVC valve will likely react more quickly to crankcase pressure changes and therefore, increase air circulation may occur.
    It's steel, not polyvinyl chloride. And it's not a valve, it's an orifice. I suspect the catalyst would take care of any issues with excess hydrocarbons.

If you are actually reducing oil consumption, you would be cleaning the exhaust pre-catalyst, thus furthering the purpose of the Clean Air Act. Perhaps the EPA could pay a reward to help recoup repair costs.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Not according to what the catch can manufacturer said previously.

Actually if you read in detail my last post usually we see reduction over time as the rings free up. Rarely does the engines consumption not go down after a few thousand miles of running with the intake ingestion stopped. Will it stop it completely? No....generally that requires a re-ring and hone and proper ring seating breakin (not babied like the manufacturer states).

----------

It's steel, not polyvinyl chloride. And it's not a valve, it's an orifice. I suspect the catalyst would take care of any issues with excess hydrocarbons.

If you are actually reducing oil consumption, you would be cleaning the exhaust pre-catalyst, thus furthering the purpose of the Clean Air Act. Perhaps the EPA could pay a reward to help recoup repair costs.
    Correct.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

you should post updated links to the pictures of this DIY. All the ones you originally posted are no longer visible.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

in case anyone can't see the photos on the first page, you can view them here. http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com/timingchain/703
    mplum56 likes this.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

As an experiment I fabricated a "catch-can" using an empty 14 oz. propane cylinder. Installed the pvc orifice mod (drill two holes, one top, one bottom, using 7/64" drill) BTW this does increase the holes noticeably from the 3 mm OE size. Ran this setup for 6500 miles, mostly interstate speeds. When I changed oil I was surprised to drain 8 oz. from the catch-can.
    I've re-installed the stock OE pvc orifice and will run the same setup through the next oil change as a comparison of the two orifice setups.
    I use Pennzoil Plat. 5W-30
    There's been some discussion on the dipstick levels. 5 qts brought the level to the mid-hole on the dipstick. 6 to the upper. I'd assume if the dipstick shows only to the first hole I'd be 2 qts low.
    When I changed the oil it appeared to be slightly less than a quart low during this oil change interval. I recovered a little over 5 qts (not including the 8 oz from the catch-can) to recycle to Walmart.
    Prior to the orifice mod, oil useage was generally 1/2 qt or even less during a similar interval.
    Any case recovering 8 oz in the catch-can was somewhat of a surprise.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by n7don_srx View Post
    Any case recovering 8 oz in the catch-can was somewhat of a surprise.
    Only until you understand that catch cans create much of what they "collect" by condensing the water out of the fresh air that comes into the PCV system.

Only until you understand that catch cans create much of what they "collect" by condensing the water out of the fresh air that comes into the PCV system.
    A properly installed catchcan is installed inline between the crankcase and the intake manifold vacuum.......it is impossible for this to ADD to what is already there. And look at the pictures of what is caught. Oil and the damaging contaminants.

But if you personally don't believe in using one, by all means don't. Let the oil in on your own build. In the winter months in a cold climate yes, they catch a lot more water that is entering the crankcase, but in warm months nearly zip as far as water vapor. So they create no extra compounds, they only trap what was being ingested into the intake air charge.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Wrong...obviously you have no experience with a catch can on a PCV system.

Bill
    SC2150 likes this.

Far to many have very little understanding of the entire PCV system so this is common. It is not taught in ant tech schools, not by any manufacturers, or any service departments so the internet is full of misinformation.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Not all engines today use the PCV valve. To lower costs, some have substituted a restrictor.
    This uses an orifice to perform some of the functions previously handled by the valve.
    http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197

similar discussion
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...v-valve-2.html

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    Not all engines today use the PCV valve. To lower costs, some have substituted a restrictor.
    This uses an orifice to perform some of the functions previously handled by the valve.
    http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197

similar discussion
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...v-valve-2.html
    We all know how well orifice on the 3.6 works

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

What I drained was not water. I'm not advocating for or against their use. As stated, it is/was an experiment. I let the drainage set for a couple days and no separation layer existed. I didn't have an oil analysis done so can't vouch if other contaminants existed. The color and feel was consistent with the oil I drained from the crankcase.
    I speculate the larger pcv orifice allows a higher volume of total airflow thru the engine which potentially could transfer more vaporized oil over a given time period. I reinstalled the OE pcv orifice and will run thru a similar oil change interval as a comparison.
    At 58000 miles I don't have an oil consumption issue.

maddoggyusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am curious what was the correct "break in" procedure for these engines? I didn't buy my SRX new... but I bought a new 04 Malibu and there was nothing special to do. I did change oil at 3,000 miles and always used Mobil 1. I often go 10k+ miles between oil changes, and the engine doesn't use any oil and runs like new. Oh yea... Malibu engine has a PCV valve.

There has been no special "break in" procedure on new vehicles for awhile now... unless I'm wrong?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

it's in the owners manual
    your malibu had a break in procedure too
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

cfishkin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guys, sorry, I've been trying to follow this thread over 7 pages, but is drilling out the PCV valve and installing a catch can the magic bullet to keep me from putting in a quart every 750 miles or is a complete engine rebuild the only solution. The rebuild is GM's solution where as can a $200 catch can can do the same thing ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.