Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; can anyone provide me the pictures from this post????...
    royr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

can anyone provide me the pictures from this post????

Longsnapper52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Thunder Gray

Is ktr-sb still on these forums....Can anyone dig him up and ask him to relink the pics? This step-by-step is amazing and a valuable resource. It's a shame the pic links went bust.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Here is what you need to do:

Remove the 90* black plastic fitting from the barb on the rear top of the passenger side valve cover:

Then with a plyers or vice brips, twist it s=both ways to release the bond and pull stright up removing it:

Then take a 7/74" drill bit and dril both the top hole and the tiny bottom holes. The entire engine is expected to be able to evacuate through these and they ALL clog over time:

Then clean and push firmly back into place.

Now you have done 1/2 of whats needed. Then you need a good functionng catchcan installed between this barb and the intake manifold vacuum side (RX for 100% oil trapped, Elite of AMW or Saiku Micchi for 90% plus trapped, Moroso or any other to trap 40-60% of the oil....you want to trap ALL the oil).

Then your set.

PJ1520 and PJ1520 like this.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

TimRSRX777 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX

Ok.. so my question is this.. most of the posts in this thread are a bit over 6 months old. How many people tried this Fix? Have the people that tried this noticed a change in oil consumption? Has it lasted for 6 or more months? It would be interesting to get some feedback on this as to what kind of results you can expect if you do this? As of now, it seems pretty controversial and I think I maybe saw two posts that described positive results?

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Excellent question, Tim. Who's man enough to be honest here?
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

GM has identified several potential sources of excessive oil consumption in LY7s and LLTs installed in STSs, SRXs and CTSs. The modifications to reduce oil vapor passing through the crankcase ventilation system include a revised camshaft cover seal and a revised oil deflector for RWD engines. The modifications to reduce blowby include new rings and a new air filter housing. I note with some dismay that those who should know better mention nothing about these fixes. None of GM's recommendations involve the installation of a catch can.

The orifice modification did not reduce my oil consumption appreciably. I have had some success with changing oil to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30. I imagine I will install the revised cam cover gasket eventually - someone else did a cam cover baffle with a similar strategy, and had good results.

I suspect that had I followed GM's instructions regarding engine break-in, oil selection, and air filter maintenance, I would have little to no oil consumption, just as 10s of thousands of SRX owners. Failure to properly maintain crankcase ventilation systems that collect water have led to fires and oil leaks. I would rather stick with GM's stock system, which works well when properly maintained. I have an additional 20K miles on my SRX since I personally changed the timing chains, and it still gets over 20 mpg at high highway speeds. I think I will get many more miles on it, stock.

Lots of misinformation in this board, and I am not interested in replaying old conflicts. All I can say is, pay close attention to the motives of those supplying you with seemingly useful information.

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    My question is I've done the pcv mod and have no physical leaks anywhere even the air box now would a catch can help I use about 2-3 qts per 2500 miles? A little history about my truck well there isn't any history before me lol. Bought it with 69k miles had timing chain failure at 84k and have always used oil. After the chains and SEVERAL DAYS OF CLEANING THE SLUDGE OUT OF THE HEADS AND BLOCK FROM PREVIOUS OWNER consumption is down but not gone. Dealer said the engine is shot at 97k. It runs perfect sucks on gas but no engine issues besides the oil usage. Any suggestions would be great.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

hey ktr-sb, any chance you'll fix the broken image links?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    hey ktr-sb, any chance you'll fix the broken image links?
    Probably not, but I dumped them here:

http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com/timingchain/703

----------

Quote Originally Posted by repnatl View Post
    My question is I've done the pcv mod and have no physical leaks anywhere even the air box now would a catch can help I use about 2-3 qts per 2500 miles?
    No.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3020643

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Probably not, but I dumped them here:

http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com/timingchain/703
    ok, thanks ... good enough
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

That's what I figured I'm pretty much looking at a new engine

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I remain skeptical that this actually reduces oil consumption. With the larger holes the PVC valve will likely react more quickly to crankcase pressure changes and therefore, increase air circulation may occur. Generally, this is helpful in reducing sludge and would increase oil life. However, would the larger holes not also better accommodate the blow by and just be more efficient at feeding it back to combustion? I would really like to see someone post that says their oil use has dropped due to a modified PCV - yet to see one that is definitive.

There is also a question of legality which should be raised. According to the Federal Clean Air Act, tampering with any emission control device (which this is) is prohibited if it either inhibits or defeats the purpose of the device. Devices may be modified, but would need to be re-certified with the EPA before they will be permitted. In all likelihood, modifying the PVC valve or installing one with a wider orifice would be illegal under the Act.

If the oil ingestion is not stopped, then the causes of consumption cannot reverse themselves either.

The drill mod prevents the oil laden crankcase vapors from back flowing through the OEM cleanside lice intot he air box, but w/out a proper catchcan the cause of the deposits in the ring lands continues and if the rings cannot move freely to properly seat, then the oil consumption issue rarely improves.

The installation of a properly functioning catchcan stops the oil from ingesting via the intake air charge so it gives the rigns/lands a chance to free up over time (if not to gunked up) and that is whjen oil consumption will improve.

So do you think its possible to save my oil consumption with a catch can?

Depends on several factors, one being how well the rings seated intially. If the engine was broken in easy the first 500 miles odds are the rings never seated properly so that cant be fixed w/out removing the pistons and cutting a new crosshatch hone patteren into the cylinder walls. Also, if a DI engine the intake valve coking causes the valve guides to wear and this could be an issue. What it will do is stop further ingestion and give the rings a chance to free up so it should at the very least reduce the consumption over the next few thousand miles of use.

Order at: www.RevXtreme.com or call direct: 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.