Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by 454Casull I still need help with this. I can't get it off. Should I wrap some rubber ...
    454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    I still need help with this. I can't get it off. Should I wrap some rubber around the vise grip? How much force can I grip the annular ring with before crushing it?

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull
    At least you found yours.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

I still need help with this. I can't get it off. Should I wrap some rubber around the vise grip? How much force can I grip the annular ring with before crushing it?
    You should be mostly wiggling back and forth, as opposed to gripping and ripping. Just enough pull that each wiggle worms its way out a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    You should be mostly wiggling back and forth, as opposed to gripping and ripping. Just enough pull that each wiggle worms its way out a little bit.
    So the locking pliers should be on tight enough that when I'm wiggling, the jaws shouldn't be slipping at all?

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

So the locking pliers should be on tight enough that when I'm wiggling, the jaws shouldn't be slipping at all?
    That's how tight I had mine.

mrriverajr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX AWD V6

can u email me pics please. Mrriverajr@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Some of those shots are with an extra PCV hose I had, just to clarify how the clip works and how the fitting seats on the flange. The sealing is with an o-ring in the fitting, so the flange is a retainer, not a seal.

I have not tested this mod, but will be monitoring oil consumption. I was up to as much as 1qt per 800 miles. I will, of course, update as I discover more information.

I have a ton more pix if anyone needs any additional information. I hope you find this useful.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

oooh, photobuck fail again
    another reason why I use imageshack.us
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

So everyone who's done this went from significant oil consumption to zero/negligible oil consumption, so far?

Here's to hoping it works.

BTW, mine didn't have any sealant when it came off; just a tiny dab of red Loctite.

I am disappointed to report that this fix (increasing the diameter of one hole on both sides of the orifice fitting) did not eliminate oil consumption on my engine (LP1). I did my oil change on 7/24, did the mod perhaps a week after that (oil level was still around the midway mark), and I had to put in about 1.5 quarts today to get it back into the high-middle range, from low.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

There are a few other steps to help with this....let me know if you want the details.

SRX_Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX
    I would love to know what can be done to reduce oil consumption. Mine uses a lot of oil so any tips would be appreciated.

joe0373 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

ktr-sb:
    Thank you for the fix!!! I did it last weekend, drove 1500kms and not a drop of oil used. I greatly appreciate the time you put into posting this thread. Imagine if I took my 2004 with 280,000 kms to a mechanic and told him my car was drinking oil...you saved me a bundle

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I can't see any of the pictures on thia thread for some reason. Anyway you could email them to me?
    repnatl@yahoo.com

Im curious to try this because not only did I find an incredible amout of sludge in my engine but I was losing close to 1 qt of oil between oil changes just in my intake tube and dripping out of my air box. Thanks

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

Hi All,
    I did this mod this AM. I've been following the threads for this very carefully before I attempted this. It's a very easy modification and took me about 1 hour taking my time and including a drive to Advance Auto to get some RTV black. I carefully drilled the 2 holes (one on top and one on bottom of the orifice) and cleaned it with CRC brake cleaner (external cleaning as well as spraying into the orifice hole). Reinstallation was a snap.

My CTS's oil consumption is currently at ~ 1500 miles per quart. I have realistic expectations as my CTS has 107,000 miles on it and I expect that the valve guides and oil control rings might be somewhat worn (I've used Mobil 1 5-30 EP) since new and switched to the high mileage Mobil 1 since 100,000 miles. If I can reduce oil consumption to say, a quart every 2500-3000 miles, I would be very satisfied with that result.

Thanks for the help in posting this and your results. I'll post mine once I have a few thousand miles on the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.