Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; yeah when posting information that is not your own you should either encapsulate it in quote tags (i use the ...
    RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

yeah when posting information that is not your own you should either encapsulate it in quote tags (i use the quote button often)

like this
    or as 454 pointed out... just post the link (especially when it's a big data dump like this)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Let's close this off. I am 100% sure that this approach does not solve the oil consumption so don't waste your time with it. If it solved the problem, do you not think GM would have issued a recall to replace the PVC valves etc? GM is obviously aware of the problem, has addressed it to the best of its abilities, but ultimately, a preventative design measure would be too expensive to implement.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    Why didn't you just post the links?
    Sorry:

read this link on technical training on PCV systems:

http://www.counterpersontraining.com...ain&topicid=38

and this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankca...ilation_system

and more:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7639553_pc...e-vehicle.html

much better

and now we have a source for the info

and I don't see anyone claiming you're a 'greedy profiteer' - i think that was your own misinterpretation
    i didn't get that at all from any of the posts and after you brought that up I went back and re-read the thread

and furthermore that whole line of discussion really has no place in the conversation
    this thread is about a specific (free and somewhat easy) mod that had nothing to do with you or your products

that said, the information and knowledge that you're sharing here on CF is great btw - thanks for that
    we need less of this bickering type discussion and more info and knowledge
    that's what this forum is for
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Agreed.

i'm off to happy hour

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    If it solved the problem, do you not think GM would have issued a recall to replace the PVC valves etc?
    hahaha

GM will fix this as soon as Nissan fixes it in the VQ engines, or Chrysler/Fiat in any of theirs.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900112.pdf

And BMW in the mini....we have to remove the cylinder head at 40-50k miles and do a physical valve job to remove the deposits it gets so bad....Mercedes in the Kompressor I4 motors, and on and on.

We have a 67 Maserati in here that has a PCV oil separator right from the factory they adapted from their LeMans cars of the 50's where they had detonation issues and this solved it. Pretty crude but functional.

marcwsu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX V6 AWD

hahaha

GM will fix this as soon as Nissan fixes it in the VQ engines, or Chrysler/Fiat in any of theirs.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0900112.pdf

Did anyone catch that Chrysler is OK with vehicles over 50k burning 1qt ever 750 miles!!!! Yikes!

Yes...most all have upped what they deem "acceptable" due to these issues and it is NOT acceptable in my opinion. The warranty claims have got to be through the roof.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Among the causes of oil consumption, this bulletin states " Blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use," hence, why this fix works.

Again, trying to make this thread about a free, fast and effective fix for oil consumption, not about GM or OEM bashing. Plenty of other threads for haters.

Thanks.

And those are all accurate, but the most common cause is the poor ring seal and the PCV system design which no manufacturer will admit to (and cant blame them).I think most will find the oil consumption will still be present with the drill mod, but it cures the issue of excess crankcase pressure from pushing oil into the intake while at WOT and that is a plus either way.

:thumsup:

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Pro tip: push down the fitting before trying to open the latch. If you try to open the latch if the fitting is stuck upward, it will jam and you will hate yourself. Once it's down, the latch opens easily.

I rate this mod easy-to-almost impossible depending on how generous your breather fitting is. I could not remove the breather fitting since there is no space (on the CTS) to apply or leverage a full body pull, and locking pliers typically have nothing on them that facilitates pulling. I can deadlift 270+ and I could not get the breather to budge (the whole car was shaking, etc.). I did get it to rotate slightly, though.

****ing wire looms press down HARD into your left forearm, too.
    I still need help with this. I can't get it off. Should I wrap some rubber around the vise grip? How much force can I grip the annular ring with before crushing it?

tormented is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 RW

PCVbefore.jpgThis is what my PCV orifice looked like before cleaning and drilling out, almost completely plugged!

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    This is what my PCV orifice looked like before cleaning and drilling out, almost completely plugged!
    Cool. Mine looked like that when I replaced the timing chains, but holding it up to light, you could see that it was mostly just on the outside. Much crud on the interior?

I don't know what kind of oil you are using, but I would strongly recommend a full synthetic with a reputation for good, gentle, gradual cleaning. I am using Pennzoil Platinum with excellent results.

Keep us posted on your consumption. For those following along, I am having mixed results - I've gone about 700 miles, and consumption has not eliminated, but appears to be much improved.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.