Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

73K views 134 replies 33 participants last post by  alacran 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, on the CTS board, there are a couple of guys with LY7s that claim they have fixed their oil consumption problem by modding their PCV orifice fitting. I just performed this mod - it is ridiculously easy and fast, and if you are well-equipped (tools, get your mind out of the gutter) it shouldn't cost anything.

The PCV orifice fitting lives in the right (passenger's side) valve cover, in the rear. It has a hose that clips onto it. The fitting is shaped like a PCV valve, only the neck is narrower and the base has two holes instead of one. It has no valve, but is continuously letting crankcase vapors pass.

The mod is to drill out two of the three holes to 7/64". My theory (and I haven't proven it yet) is that by opening up the holes, you reduce the velocity of the air flowing through the system, decreasing the amount of oil in suspension, and thereby reducing the amount burned off.

I used the following tools - a pair of medium sized vice grip pliers, a 7/64" drill bit and drill, a deep well 13mm 3/4" drive socket, a short 3/4" drive extension, a soft mallet, and some sealant (like Permatex Ultra Grey).

Step One: Displace (but do not remove) the engine cover by removing the power steering and oil filler caps and pulling up on the cover (it just snaps off and snaps back in):

Step Two: Remove the PCV hose by pulling back on the clip and pulling up on the hose end:

Step Three: Adjust the vice grip pliers so that it grips the flange on the PCV fitting neck. Don't go crazy or you will be buying a new one, and they are on national back order:

Step Four: Wiggle the vice grips side-to-side while pulling up. This shouldn't take much effort.

See less See more
#128 ·
i think they're made-to-order at this point

backorder and sold-out are two different things

i believe their site says "not in stock" which means that they have none on hand to sell currently

every single one they make is already sold

so if you want one order one and wait your turn for them to make you one

if you want one now there are two or three other comparable products that are a bit more expensive

#132 ·
In Canada is recommended to replace pcv every 20000kms or by the manufacturer recommendations.
GM LY7 v6 engines do not have pcv, just check that the vent tubes are clear of oil & any build up.
I must be lucky my 07 srx4 v6 with 153000kms doesn't consumes or leaks any oil just your average consumption when additives are burnt out may be 2 tents of a quart every oil change.
Only use since new Mobil one 5w30.
Also follow schedule maintenance for severe driving conditions religiously

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.