Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps in Cadillac SRX Forums; glake, the answer is easy, when you get new rings and valve seals, the blowby is reduced to a very ...
    tormented is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 RW

Re: Free and Fast Oil Consumption Mod/ Fix in Ten Easy Steps

glake, the answer is easy, when you get new rings and valve seals, the blowby is reduced to a very small amount, therefore
    not much blowby and the accompian(spelling?) oil is pulled out thru the orifice anymore and into the engine.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hi

Stupid question, but is this the same hose the catch can is connected to?

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    glake, the answer is easy, when you get new rings and valve seals, the blowby is reduced to a very small amount, therefore
    not much blowby and the accompian(spelling?) oil is pulled out thru the orifice anymore and into the engine.
    Exactly. And the rings probably get seated right by the technician, who doesn't want a comeback. And you stay on top of your OCIs and oil choices once you've been through that ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    Stupid question, but is this the same hose the catch can is connected to?
    Depends. What catch can?

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    A different, better baffling system design would have been nice when this V6 was being developed.
    There's a CTS owner who pulled the valve cover and installed a baffle and a PCV valve, which he says cured his oil consumption problem. The mod I've shown here is cheaper, easier and quicker. Let's see if it works.

Before you slam the engineers, it helps to realize that PCV is not an exact science, and the more baffles, the more surfaces for temperature and air flow differentials that encourage sludging.

Like I say, when properly maintained these are extremely reliable engines. I got 161K out of mine before the chains needed to be replaced, and if the oil consumption issue improves, I expect to get at least that many more before cracking the motor open again.

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    Depends. What catch can?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-update-2.html

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218145
    it says camaro but its the same for cadillac or as far as I know SRX, will be installing mine soon after vacation

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

How crucial is the sealant on the bottom of the flange? Can I use RTV silicone?

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    How crucial is the sealant on the bottom of the flange? Can I use RTV silicone?
    GM recommends it:

They recommended the same sealant for the engine front cover, and I used Permatex Ultra Grey. It beaded perfectly and I have no leaks or seepage thousands of miles later.

I used Ultra Black on the PCV fitting since it was handy. I imagine any high quality RTV would work fine.

Thanks for bringing this thread back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    it says camaro but its the same for cadillac or as far as I know SRX, will be installing mine soon after vacation
    I suggest you PM the catch can manufacturer. Like I said, I want this thread to be about this mod - a free, fast, and easy fix for something that others are making a mint off of. I have a hard time believing that my engine needs a redesigned PCV system when it made it to 167K miles with dodgy maintenance.

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

I'm assuming that even if this mod doesn't work (thank you for the instructions), I can still do the baffle at a later date with nothing lost from having done this?

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    I'm assuming that even if this mod doesn't work (thank you for the instructions), I can still do the baffle at a later date with nothing lost from having done this?
    Sure. The nice thing about this mod is that all you have to do to bring it to stock is replace the fitting with the OEM one, which are hard to get but run about $15.00. The PCV valve/ baffle mod is pretty involved, requiring finding the right sized PCV valve, making and cutting a baffle, and somehow securing it in a way that doesn't come apart under high heat, high vibration conditions. Two other relative disadvantages of the PCV valve/ baffle mod are the need to remove the intake manifold upper section to remove the camshaft cover, and (as with every other mod, including catch cans) the need for additional maintenance of the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    I suggest you PM the catch can manufacturer. Like I said, I want this thread to be about this mod - a free, fast, and easy fix for something that others are making a mint off of. I have a hard time believing that my engine needs a redesigned PCV system when it made it to 167K miles with dodgy maintenance.
    I already know it works, I was just asking if thats the same line you are refering to that the catchcan mod involves, you asked what was a catchcan so I showed you,did not mean to steal your thread

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

The catchcan stops the oil from ingesting into the intake air charge, it does not stop oil consumption. This mod (the drill mod) should be done no matter what as it will decress oil consumption. But take your tube from the fixed orfice/PCV and install a cleat glass $10 inline fuel filter between the orfice and the IM and you will see all the oil still ingesting and causing issues (gunk on valve build up, piston & combustion chamber carbon issues, detonation causing less power /fuel economy) all need a good functioning can. These are 2 separate issues.

And phoenix has it understood except the fixed orfice is technicall not a PCV valve as it is fixed.

HI
    OK so really one could do both if the catch can is already installed?

Quote Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
    The catchcan stops the oil from ingesting into the intake air charge, it does not stop oil consumption.
    Which is why, respectfully, I asked that it not be a part of this conversation, thanks.

This mod (the drill mod) should be done no matter what as it will decress oil consumption.
    Not sure what "decress" means, but if it means "decrease," I would be interested to know how you know this, and why you haven't done as much to publicize this free, fast and easy repair as much as you have to publicize the product that you sell. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but in the years I have read this forum, I have seen much about oil consumption and very little until recently about this mod. And mine is the first pictorial that I am aware of. I know you are an authorized vendor and a lot of people respect your opinion, but it seems that so many engines could have been saved if more were done to publicize a known fix like this.

But take your tube from the fixed orfice/PCV and install a cleat glass $10 inline fuel filter between the orfice and the IM and you will see all the oil still ingesting and causing issues (gunk on valve build up, piston & combustion chamber carbon issues, detonation causing less power /fuel economy) all need a good functioning can.
    With all due respect, I think this borders on a scare tactic. Concentrating engine deposits in a catch can that does not replicate the interior of an engine simply gives a skewed picture, especially if that can provides surfaces for vapors to cool and condensates to form that otherwise wouldn't. At any given moment, on a properly maintained engine running top tier gas, I would venture to say those "contaminates" are virtually nil. I would be more interested in a sample taken from such an engine with a normal factory PCV system while it is running.

After 161K miles of using the same spark plugs, factory OCIs, and occasional conventional oil use, I had NO valve deposits of any consequence, no driveability concerns, no detontation and very light deposits in the intake manifold.

I would be very interested in seeing the dyno and durability test results for a properly maintained, properly fueled engine with and without a catch can.

And phoenix has it understood except the fixed orfice is technicall not a PCV valve as it is fixed.
    There is a vast difference between a PCV valve and a fitting with orifice, one that no engineer I know would call a technicality. One has moving parts and requires servicing, the other doesn't. Moreoever, I carefully inspected my PCV hoses and they were clear, despite Phoenix's guess. A lot of what he says about excessive amounts of fuel ending up in the oil applied back in the days of carburetion and chokes. Those days are gone. And as I and others have posted previously (with pictures), the PCV fitting's orifices will get restricted (but not plugged) with sludge, but cleaning is a relatively simple process of spraying carb or other engine-safe cleaner down the fitting's inlet. Replacing it on every oil change would be a foolish waste of money.

Listen, I don't enjoy quarreling with anyone, especially anyone who has a loyal following and has made tons of money off of selling stuff for these engines. I am just trying to save some people some money, and empower them with correct information. Sorry if I gored anyone's ox.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.