2004 SRX not starting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2004 SRX not starting in Cadillac SRX Forums; I think I've read more threads on this issue than anybody. There does not seem to be a common problem ...
    maddoggyusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2004 SRX not starting

I think I've read more threads on this issue than anybody. There does not seem to be a common problem or a common solution.

It behaves like a low battery. But I've put in a new battery and no difference. I have a monster red top Optima that is 1 year old.... 1,000 CCA.

Symptoms: 3.6L, all electronics seem to work fine but when you turn the key nothing happens (engine does not turn over)... and the key will be stuck in the ignition. 1 year ago I had battery a drain that caused the same symptoms... I replaced the passenger door module and all was fine for 1 year. I have checked and there is no drain but it behaves the same. It really seems to behave like a loose connection but I've checked and made my own grounds and it don't fix.

One thing I've been able to do is keep attaching the ground to the battery while the key is still stuck in the ignition... about 1 out of 10 times I will hear a whine noise from the front of the engine (I think it is from the throttle body motor for the butterfly valve). Whenever I get this whine noise, it will start up. If I don't hear this whine noise, it will not start up.

I did buy a new ignition switch to install but I'm not too confident it will help. Any things to check out would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: 2004 SRX not starting

Which engine?

sorry... 3.6L

Your 4th paragraph leads me to think you have some bad grounds. Included in this might be the attachment of the starter to the block. I would start with the other end of the B- cable and remove the attaching bolt, clean the area and reattach. Do the same for other ground straps between engine and frame or body. Lastly do the same for the starter itself. You might also check the resistance for the B- cable while you have it off.

chiefc90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX AWD V8
    Ok I've seen this in a couple gm cars as well as my 04 SRX. Under the hood inside the fuse box, there is a main ground and hot spot. They will at times loosen just a lil not enough to even get close to noticing it, but after time corrosion builds between the space and the contact is not good. When mine did that one morning, I went straight to that are and bam there was my problem.

I would turn your car key on and shake the box underneath the hood and listen for the clicking of the electronics. Let me know if this helps.

MortnCyn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 N* Thunder Gray/Ebony AWD/NAV/MRC

I will try an old bulletin pdf file that I hpoe is attached re grounds
    Attached Files

chiefc90... which box are you talking about? The pcm or fuse box or other??? I was planning to disconnect PCM and reconnect for fun.

thanks guys... I have been kinda lazy and will check into these wiring issues this week. I agree... I think it's some kind of wiring problem. I tapped and replaced relays which did not help. Replaced the crank position sensor... didn't help. I was starting to suspect the battery cables having some kind of internal resistance issues???? I remember an older GMC thread that replaced the fuse box and fixed his issues. I hope it's something simple... it's been a great car otherwise.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi again Maddoggyusa,

As I wrote in a previous thread regarding your ignition concerns, please don't hesitate to send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to follow-up on anything for you!

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

I wax talking about the fuse box. I would loosen all the bolts under there and tighten, remember they may have some juice so don't ground them out.

I finally got around to installing the ignition switch today... and to my amazement it seems to have fixed my problem.

Here is the part I purchased...
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1421E...rds=B000EQR5IU

it's not too difficult to install. here's what I did...

1) disconnect negative cable on battery (MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS)
    2) pull the steering wheel tilt knob straight towards the driver door.... it will pop off
    3) there is a small hole under the ignition switch (in lower cover, smallest hole)... insert small screwdriver/awl and while turning key to RUN the key cylinder will pop out (took me several tries to find the right spot)
    4) there are two large holes on the lower cover (have torx, I think T-25). Remove those screws which hold the 2 upper/lower column cover together and pull down or remove the lower cover
    5) Remove the large security module over the cylinder hole... just let it hang off to the side
    6) remove the two screws holding the ignition switch and disconnect the wire connector (odd torx fasteners, needle nose vice grips or similar needed)

Installation is reverse... hook up the battery last.

The GM manual says to disconnect the airbag circuit but this seems like a waste of time to me (since battery is disconnected).... but I was careful not to be in front of the airbag just in case.

If this doesn't fix my problem I'll post again... but so far so good!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Update: This did not fix my problem.... Sorry.

maddog, you've been given some good advise here. Have you checked out the fuse box or starter grounding yet? Sometimes it's the simple things that go wrong.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

johns12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V8

Try playing with the shifter while trying to start the car. Move it hard forward and back but not into neutral, left and right. See if there is any in ignition sound or if you can get it to start. Could be a bad park neutral safety switch.

maddog, let's start over. The next time it does this, leave the key in 'run'. Open the underhood fuse box; near the front is a large connector and near the middle of it is a large purple wire. Jump that wire to battery +. If the car starts and runs we've eliminated the starter/solenoid as your problem and we can then start eliminating other causes.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.