thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello, Thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX...quite popular here and in the Chicagoland area...I am leaning towards the V6 ...
    silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX

Hello,

Thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX...quite popular here and in the Chicagoland area...I am leaning towards the V6 version but have some questions (yes, I am looking at the stickies first)

V6 seems like enough...

can I get by in the Chicagoland Winters with RWD or should I concentrate on finding an AWD version?

I have seen prices all over the place...and there is quite a list of options...is there anything or a year I am not considering for some got to have options??? (have read good things about Magnetic Ride Control but wonder about repairs)

I am mostly interested in low mileage and newer model as it will be a DD...

Thanks for any help and experience you care to share...

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX

Do yourself a favour and get an AWD V8.

The V8 has little to no chance of oil usage or timing chain issues, I don't think they really use more fuel, most V8's were more loaded, RWD will never provide the grip of the AWD winter or summer and you get to say you have a V8

The V6 is great and the chance of getting a bad one is low it can still happen.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

The other two MAJOR options to consider are 5 or 7 seats and Sports Package or not.

thanks...I like the Sport Package (for looks)...so the AWD is really THAT much better than RWD...I appreciate that...I'll expand my search to the V8 but I don't seen near as many for sale with the V8 'round here...

Bill

Well the AWD is twice as good as RWD.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by silversport
    Hello,

Thinking about an '08 or '09 SRX...quite popular here and in the Chicagoland area...I am leaning towards the V6 version but have some questions (yes, I am looking at the stickies first)

V6 seems like enough...

can I get by in the Chicagoland Winters with RWD or should I concentrate on finding an AWD version?

I have seen prices all over the place...and there is quite a list of options...is there anything or a year I am not considering for some got to have options??? (have read good things about Magnetic Ride Control but wonder about repairs)

I am mostly interested in low mileage and newer model as it will be a DD...

Thanks for any help and experience you care to share...

Bill
    I have a v6 Awd in Cleveland. Wish I had opted for the v8. I bet the gas mileage is the same. I dive mostly city with a touch of highway and avg around 16 mpg. But I do have a lead foot.

My wife gets about 17+ mixed driving with 20"s and big tires, on the hyway we get 22-23+

I have a Westers tune and custom 2 1/2" catback exhaust.

Ya V8 all the way.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Well, I can't comment on AWD, since Texas is definitely not the place to pay the extra price/complexity/weight for having it.
    But I can comment on the V6 engine. Not withstanding the reports of chain failures, my V6 is one of the finest engine/trans combos I have driven. Due to the 3.73 diff gearing and variable intake manifold, it definitely feels very strong and torquey in normal driving. I can't imagine needing the V8 unless you plan to tow, or maybe try to race Granny in her new Camry - and even in the V8, you'll lose (darn those pesky Japanese engineers). I've averaged 19 MPG overall for the last 5 years. The chain thing is kinda scary though. I think many of the issues have been due to not maintaining proper oil level, but when buying a used one, how do you know what the PO did. So, don't write the little V6 off without trying it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

DG

did a test drive tonight...was a bit of a turnoff when the car that was "ultrasonic cleaned" smelled like the smoker who owned it previously...BUT...I must say, the V6 was PLENTY peppy round town with nice torque...

I'm a tall guy and the center console may be an issue...perhaps I would get used to it and I am coming from a 2000 Escalade...my other ride is a 2006 GTO (very similar architecture to the CTS sourced SRX)...but over all the SRX is very nice...

I skipped out trying the bare bones RWD version...this AWD was loaded...panoramic glass top was a wow factor (don't know about it for ownership)...sales guy said they get these in from time to time and said a mocha one was due this week...I did see a sport option (it's appearance only, right?) version at a dealer some drive away from me that I may visit...we'll see...very nice vehicle I think though...I am impressed...

Thanks...keep it coming if you're willing...I'll keep listening and learning...

Bill

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Happy to see you're considering an SRX, Bill! Will there be more test drives in your future?

I know you're looking for experience feedback, so I just wanted to jump on this thread to let you know I'm available if you'd like me to research any specific vehicle questions on your behalf. Please don't hesitate to PM me anytime!

All the best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by silversport View Post
    ...I did see a sport option (it's appearance only, right?) version

Bill
    NO! The Sport Package is not just appearance:
    - Dual chrome tipped exhaust
    - Chromed roof rail inserts
    - Sport front and rear facsia (reminiscent of V-series)
    - High Intensity Discharge headlamps
    - Front lamp unit pressure washers
    - Limited slip differential - great in snow
    - 20" Performance Wheels

There may be some additional wood trim in the interior - guys, did I miss anything?

Yep ya did, the V8 has most of the goos stuff standard like HID.

I have to give it to ya 08SRX, you are a go getter, wrong at times and it makes me crazy but you are ready to help all the time.

This guide is for the 07 but it has all the info, go V8 and get most of the cool gear standard, I also found that most V8's were loaded and in the last year they optioned the crap out of them to use up parts I think.
    Attached Files

LOL @ Conedoctor. Not wrong, just incomplete...

dbknight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V8

Besides the sunroof issue I'm currently dealing with, I love my '06 V8 AWD -- loaded with every option. If you can fine the MRC, go for it. No problems with that system at 75k.

Thanks...friend was going to buy my Escalade but he backed out so that could be the end of it but who knows...I want to look at one but it IS a drive...perhaps it will be worth it...it looks like the sport package on a V6 but it has 18's and not the 20's...

Bill

----------

Conedoctor...that PDF was a huge help...thanks...everyone has been helpful and I'm getting excited about this...going out of town Friday but if it's still around or another comes along...I may just pounce...

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.