Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please in Cadillac SRX Forums; I finally found the source of the grinding noise i have been hearing....It is coming from the front differential! I ...
    hrvstr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cadillac srx V6 awd

Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please

I finally found the source of the grinding noise i have been hearing....It is coming from the front differential! I have located the problem but now need to remove it and rebuild it. Just wondering if anyone has done this and could give me some pointers. I'm not sure if it can be taken out without removing the engine. If anyone has any insight on removal and rebuild or at least where to buy parts cheap i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

----------

If i can get this out and do this rebuild i am going to video tape it all and put it out for everyone to see. Not a lot of info out there about this one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please

Here's the first two steps-
    Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
    Lower the front frame assembly. Refer to Front Frame Replacement .

I suggest you get into the service manual for complete instructions. Once there, go to-
    SRX (VIN E) Service Manual | Driveline/Axle | Front Drive Axle | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 927138
    Differential Carrier Assembly Replacement

Here's the link-
    http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/home.do

Use srx1gen for both user name and password

Good luck

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Before you get to far into this... could it simply be low on differential fluid?

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I would think if it is low and grinding it is damaged anyway and needs to come out, if it is low then it leaked out so need to come out anyway.

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hi
    I have a thread on here about "sounds like a AWD 07" did you hear this kind of noise I mentioned first, I would think if the cases are low you would see puddles of oil under the car, the oil just does not burn away.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Other posts are probably right, but oil can leak or burn (in case of engine) or wear. The latter means it breaks down chemically and or absorbs moisture or other material so that it is no longer effective. If you have no puddles, then chances are good you need to either adjust or rebuild it.

Well tomorrow I check the level and if its low I will not top it up, but drain it to look for color and metal shavings,if it is up to level, then it will have to go to the Cadillac mechanic and get his opinion and have it in writing and take it back for used car warranty.

Ok, The case was pretty much empty and there were some metal shavings in there. The Ring gear teeth are rough looking. They are kinda sharp and not something i would want to run my bare finger along. So i am going to replace the ring, pinion, bearings, and seals. I am going to make a video on how i did this to try and help anyone else with this issue. I have a question, where would you guys recommend buying these parts from. I am so tight i squeak so i need cheap parts that will last. Thanks for all the help guys

Call your local scrap yards, find a low mileage donor, the yard will know which years interchange, and you get the complete unit.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    Call your local scrap yards, find a low mileage donor, the yard will know which years interchange, and you get the complete unit.
    I second that, or ebay as well.

We all need cheap parts that will last, let me know if you find any.

Quote Originally Posted by orandaberg View Post
    Well tomorrow I check the level and if its low I will not top it up, but drain it to look for color and metal shavings,if it is up to level, then it will have to go to the Cadillac mechanic and get his opinion and have it in writing and take it back for used car warranty.
    It was the wheel bearings making the noise 500 euro each sorry to steal the thread

I found a couple used parts dealers that have them. Found several from $260 - $400. Gm dealer wants $1000 just for the carrier assembly. I also asked what they would charge to do the job just because I was curious.... They want $650 just for labor and he said that was just the jumping off point. Wow. I can't get the replacement diff until Tuesday but I will make a video on the process when I can.

Just be sure to carefully inspect the axle seals before installing the unit. The yard may not have been real careful when pulling the axles and may have damaged the seals. Easier to replace when out of the vehicle.

esomday is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Hello Harvstr. I am having the same issue I have an 04 SRX AWD V6 did you ever make that video for this replacement? Also did your SRX make a hard clank sound when it shifted gears? Thanks

preforming is offline Cadillac Owners Member

NEWBe.... i'm changing the front carrier differential.can anyone give me some advice as to where to position the jack to take the subframe down please...2005 cadillac awd srx....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.