Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please in Cadillac SRX Forums; SM mentions a 'frame support table' which sounds like you need to keep the frame level when raising the body ...
    glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Front differntial removal-rebuild HELP Please

SM mentions a 'frame support table' which sounds like you need to keep the frame level when raising the body from the frame. You also need to support the engine on the body before doing this. There are 38 steps just in lowering the frame. Without going out and laying under the car to see (its 10*F), I would think it might be easier to start removing things like the bumper fascia, radiator etc. to get at it from the front.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

preforming is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good Morning all i lowered my frame for carrier differential removal. both axel out. but the shaft on the driver side the inner shaft is coming with the carrier. any ideas as to stop this ?

From the SM- Important: The intermediate wheel drive shaft and the differential are to be installed and removed as a assembly.

Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

bsw357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX awd 3.6

is there anything that needs to be disconnected before lowering the frame? I already have most of the things out of the way and just getting ready to lower the frame.
    Thanks,

Just double check that anything that is going to move isn't attached to something that won't move.

bsw357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX awd 3.6

My 06 SRX 3.6 AWD was same thing, loss of the fluid. A little less than 120k miles and didn't have gear oil in there at all. Pinion gear was excessively worn so was the ring gear, eventually broke the teeth off of both gears. I got lucky as I bought the replacement front differential with 65k miles for $200 on ebay, including the shipping! Also the factory manual said to only remove the differential and the driver's side inner shaft( that goes through the oil pan) as an assembly, I managed to pull out the shaft by using a pair of medium sized channellock once I got the differential dismounted on the passenger side. it enabled me to drop the differential housing to the bottom, the pinion stem side first. I did have to lift the engine and lower the subframe 3 or 4 inches then forced the engine to the driver's side probably about 3 inches with a prybar but didn't have to disconnect any brake lines or hoses. I did take off couple of 10mm head m6 screws that's holding lines and bracket for washer tank( on the tank side only) but no line connections at all. Strut tower bar should be removed, watch for ac condenser bottom mount positioning and radiator top mount positioning when mating the subframe back on the main frame. and the front differential can only be dropped or go back in, in same orientation. that's the stem side down. I did try different ways but just didn't work. I hope this could save someone some time. I guess I received the used differential kind of dry, but it didn't even take a quart of gear oil to fill up the front differential full. All I had to buy was the used differential and a quart of gear oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.