Dipstick - - V6 vs V8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Dipstick - - V6 vs V8 in Cadillac SRX Forums; OK... My 09' SRX puked oil all over the driveway... This caused me to check the oil... Which made me ...
    Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Exclamation Dipstick - - V6 vs V8

OK...

My 09' SRX puked oil all over the driveway...

This caused me to check the oil...

Which made me curious on exactly where on the stick the line was supposed to be.. so I opened the book..

Well... According to the book :: I have a V8 Dipstick on my V6.

Here is a photo of my dipstick on my V6:

And here is the page in my book that makes me think I have the wrong dipstick in my car?

I mentioned this to the Service Writer at ELCO, and he stated that sometimes the book is wrong, and acted like it is no big deal.

So I ask :: Does it matter? Are the measure points between the two sticks the same? Or will I get a totally wrong measurement from a V8 Stick on my V6 Engine. Is the book wrong?

(This sounds like a good one for Rippy! )

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: Dipstick - - V6 vs V8

Excellent question!!! I have a 3.6 with the 4.6L -style dipstick as well. Quite frankly, I am not able to determine my oil level from it on most occasions. Whether the engine is warm or cold, I get a thin layer of oil covering the entire hatched area and so I cannot conclude from it how much oil I actually have.

Ranger007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

Prof Wizard, yes it does make a difference. The oil level shown on the dipstick in your picture - at least in my 2008 3.6 - would be at least 1 quart low. I, too, was surprised when I found I had the incorrect dipstick and am still concerned with how to accurately determine how many quarts are in the crankcase. Do I need to say "especially with this engine's reputation"?

How am I sure that it is a quart low? I drained the crankcase and measured it. When is it 2 quarts low, or more, who knows?

BTW - of all the words written about the timing chain problem and particularly after seeing the pictures of the one to be replaced (stretched) compared to a new one, a friend stated simply, "They put in the wrong chain." Has anyone else mentioned this possibility? The engine assembly plant not receiving the correct parts. Hard to believe, time after time, but possible?

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Interesting discussion.
    My 04 V6 has the flat metal stick with the twist. When you do a drain, put in 6 quarts, start it up, and let it drain back for a while, the level is right at full.

The one with wire cable / swaged end is similar to my Chevy Cruze 1.4.

G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD

I have the flat dipstick in my V6 and a similar dipstick with a cable in my Chevy Cobalt..2.2

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

If this helps I measured the length of the dipstick on my 07 3.6l. From the base to the tip is approx. 19 3/4". From the base to the full mark ( the top hole shown) is 17 1/4". The distance between the top hole (full) and bottom hole (1 qt low) is 3/4".

The base I used is where the dipstick bottoms out when inserted in the tube.

I've got a similar dipstick on my Envoy to the V8 and it's difficult to read.

n7don_srx: That is certainly helpful information, which allows us to compare dipstick measurements. Is there any evidence to suggest that Cadillac changed the dipstick style in 2007? Can any Cadillac Customer Support Reps shed any light on this?

PhoenixSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 SRX

Here are pics from the dipstick from my 4.6L V8. Part number is 12585398 is also for the 2004-2009 SRX, 2004-2010 STS and the 2008-2009 STS Platinum. Hope it helps.

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

I noticed the same issue with my '08 V6 soon after my purchase. I went to a local Cadillac dealer and consulted a technician about it. We checked two other SRX V6's and found that they too had what the book describes as a V8 dip stick. I guess this is one more indication of how things are done when you have a company run by a bunch of old foggies.
    My solution was (and is) to check the level after the engine cools down after being driven after the oil and filter is changed and use that as a measure of "full"

Thanks Phoenix,

That shows me that the wire style dipstick is about 4" longer than the rigid one. Therefore, the rigid one would probably be way too short to measure any oil. However, it still doesn't explain that some V6's have one style, but some of the wire type which according to the manual is supposed to be for the V8.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    n7don_srx: That is certainly helpful information, which allows us to compare dipstick measurements. Is there any evidence to suggest that Cadillac changed the dipstick style in 2007? Can any Cadillac Customer Support Reps shed any light on this?
    I looked in one source and it shows p/n 12595327 with no indication of a difference for 07 MY 3.6l engine. Maybe Chris (Rippy) could confirm. That same source shows a p/n of 12611594 starting in MY 08 so it appears there was a change starting in 08. What those with the "V8 style" dipstick should do is compare it's dimensions with the regular style dipstick. GM may have changed vendors but kept the dimensions uniform.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi everyone! Professor Wizard, I double checked my resources and verified that the page you screenshot from your manual (page 5-17) should indeed be the recommended dipsticks for the V6 (top) and V8 (bottom pic). I sadly cannot provide a concrete diagnosis without seeing it in person, but from the photo you provided it certainly seems like you were given the V8 engine dipstick with the rounded end! I would be happy to research this in more depth for you and ask our Technical Assistance Center for details, so please feel free to send me a quick PM with your full name and VIN anytime.

I really appreciate that you all have brought this to my attention and given such great, specific feedback on the measurements! I've documented this thread and welcome any PMs from you all if you'd like me to investigate further or need additional assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    MacMuse and MacMuse like this.

Thanks for replying. I would love to see this question resolved, as it is important in relation to oil consumption issues as well as the ability to read oil level properly. The answer may be as simple as the oil dipstick tube was replaced at some point with a longer one, but it would interesting to find out when and why.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Thanks for the offer Katie... PM has been sent.

It would be nice to know if GM decided to put cable V8 Style sticks in ALL V6 SRX's.. without updating the manual, or telling anyone.

There seem to be too many in here with V8 Style cable sticks, for it to be a simple mistake in the dealers shop!

This could potentially be a problem. For example: If they are indeed the same stick as the V8, then we probably have an issue of not enough oil, as they would read full sooner (being longer). So when the stick reads FULL, you are actually a quart and a half low.

If GM manufactured cable sticks to replace the flat wire sticks, specifically for the V6, then they should have sticker-ed the manual. or labeled the stick itself to avoid confusion.

Hopefully, between what Katie finds out.. and if Rippy jumps in - - we can find out the truth.

Also: I should get my SRX back from the shop tonight... I'll pull the stick and see what the part number is.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

As far as I can tell 2004-2007 SRX V6 models take the same dipstick (there were two previous part numbers so one or both of those might be like the style shown in the manual)

what would be best is for us to find a 2004 SRX owner (like nascarnation) who can let us know how long their original style is and then you can compare that to the style you guys with 2007s seem to have

i would guess that the actual V8 dipstick is quite different in length

i would think that when you do an oil change and check the oil level with the dipstick right after if it is showing on the cross-hatched area then it's the right length
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.