Dipstick - - V6 vs V8 - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Dipstick - - V6 vs V8 in Cadillac SRX Forums; Katie said "Our Technical Assistance Center confirmed the engine oil level dipstick for the 2009 3.6 LY7 engine for the ...
    Ranger007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

Re: Dipstick - - V6 vs V8

Katie said

"Our Technical Assistance Center confirmed the engine oil level dipstick for the 2009 3.6 LY7 engine for the SRX"

Thanks Katie, now I wonder about the rest of us? Mine is a 2008?

Bill

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Did it ever occur to you dipstick engineers that the oil sloshes around all over the place as you accelerate, stop, climb hills, go around corners, and park on a slope? The volume of oil varies drastically as it heats and expands as well as cools and shrinks. The least of your worries is micrometer measurements on a dipstick that also expands and contracts with temperature as does the sump itself. You're stomping on pissants as elephants are running up and down the halls.
    There's no question that the logistics concerning oil level changes when the vehicle is moving. On my previously owned '07 Trailblazer SS, those of us
    who chose to take our rides to the track made it a point to add at least 1/2 a quart of more of Mobil One than the 6 quarts the book required with some adding a full quart more to alleviate starving the pump during hard launches. This was particularly necessary with AWD ss's given the odd shaped oil pan the
    LST required.
    I would be fearful of doing this with the 3.6 engine since it seems to be a rather fragile design.

WildSioux is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX4

Ok, so if the 3.6 v6 takes 6 quarts of oil. How much to fill if the v8 barrel dipstick is half? 1qt or 1/2qt low? And what about if it is at the bottom of the barrel on the dipstick? 1 or 2qt?

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Looking at the barrel dipstick there is a cross-hatched section at the bottom and one at the top. Between there are four sections to indicate the oil level. My interpretation is that if you measure the level correctly (i.e. in accordance with the manual) an oil level somewhere BETWEEN the hatched areas is acceptable. You can top it up be a quart if it is near the bottom section, however, should definitely add a quart if it is in the lower hatched area or below. If it reaches the upper hatched area, engine damage can result due to high oil pressure. The only problem I find is that the oil does not settle easily to the point where you can actually get a reliable reading.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger007 View Post
    Katie said

"Our Technical Assistance Center confirmed the engine oil level dipstick for the 2009 3.6 LY7 engine for the SRX"

Thanks Katie, now I wonder about the rest of us? Mine is a 2008?

Bill
    Ranger007, I would be happy to investigate for you! Please feel free to send me a PM (or, if you don't have PM capabilities, my email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) with your full name and VIN, and I can look into your situation further.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

How do you get high oil pressure from overfull?

Never had an oil user before (and I have had a number of cars) and to make it worse, mine has the 3.6 with the (from the manual) v8 dipstick, so how was I to know when it was low and if it was, how many quarts?

But, finally this morning I did the obvious (I admit I was very slow in finally realizing what should be done - and probably was done by many), and something I should have done some time ago.

I have always changed my own oil, and still do.

So, I drained the oil from the crankcase (also changed the filter) - let it drain for 15 to 20 minutes on a level floor.

Added 4 quarts (waited a few minutes) and checked the dipstick. Not touching the oil at all.

Added one more (a total of 5 qts), waited a few minutes and checked the dipstick. Oil was above the checkered area (just a bit lower than the oil level in Prof Wizard's picture in the first post in this thread). That was on the side of the dipstick that measures lower - laugh you guys, but you have different levels, one on one side and a different measure on the other. You guys with this dipsick know what I am referring to.

Added one more (6 qts), waited a few minutes and the oil was at the top of the bulb(?), just above the checkered area. Full.

Katie is checking the technical info for my vin#. BUT, now I know that if no oil is showing on the dipstick it may be only 1+ (of course, may be more) quart low, and if it is down to the just above the lower checkered area I am only 1 quart (and no more) low. While it may not be exact, it is certainly much better than guessing and worrying. And adding too much.

Should have done this before, hope it might help someone.

I must (and hate to) admit, I do like this vehicle. My wife wanted it and, believe me, I have cussed it a lot. But, we test drove (she wanted to) a 2012 SRX with the 3.0 motor and this (2008) drives and shifts so much smoother than the newer model. I have always driven GM cars and have been unhappy with the way many models' engines were paired with transmissions. Don't tell her, but I do feel that this SRX is a nice driving vehicle. Too bad about the engine (and other) problems.

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

RANGER007, can you imagine how nice a ride this early version SRX would be if it had a LS3 V8?
    Like my '08 except when I get into mountain driving.

WildSioux is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX4

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger007 View Post
    Never had an oil user before (and I have had a number of cars) and to make it worse, mine has the 3.6 with the (from the manual) v8 dipstick, so how was I to know when it was low and if it was, how many quarts?

But, finally this morning I did the obvious (I admit I was very slow in finally realizing what should be done - and probably was done by many), and something I should have done some time ago.

I have always changed my own oil, and still do.

So, I drained the oil from the crankcase (also changed the filter) - let it drain for 15 to 20 minutes on a level floor.

Added 4 quarts (waited a few minutes) and checked the dipstick. Not touching the oil at all.

Added one more (a total of 5 qts), waited a few minutes and checked the dipstick. Oil was above the checkered area (just a bit lower than the oil level in Prof Wizard's picture in the first post in this thread). That was on the side of the dipstick that measures lower - laugh you guys, but you have different levels, one on one side and a different measure on the other. You guys with this dipsick know what I am referring to.

Added one more (6 qts), waited a few minutes and the oil was at the top of the bulb(?), just above the checkered area. Full.

Katie is checking the technical info for my vin#. BUT, now I know that if no oil is showing on the dipstick it may be only 1+ (of course, may be more) quart low, and if it is down to the just above the lower checkered area I am only 1 quart (and no more) low. While it may not be exact, it is certainly much better than guessing and worrying. And adding too much.

Should have done this before, hope it might help someone.

I must (and hate to) admit, I do like this vehicle. My wife wanted it and, believe me, I have cussed it a lot. But, we test drove (she wanted to) a 2012 SRX with the 3.0 motor and this (2008) drives and shifts so much smoother than the newer model. I have always driven GM cars and have been unhappy with the way many models' engines were paired with transmissions. Don't tell her, but I do feel that this SRX is a nice driving vehicle. Too bad about the engine (and other) problems.
    This is a very good post IMO...i bolded the most important thing being the v8 style dipstick shows two readings. Low on one side and high on the other. At least it has when the oil level drops. When full i believe both sides are the same.

So, when oil level drops (for unknown reasons)? ? How do i know which reading is correct...the low side? Or high side? The other day i added a half quart as the level on high side was at bottom of hatch area. I added a quart not knowing if it would be too much. It now shows in just a little above the middle (if reading from high side). Low side before adding half quart showed below hatch area just above the tip. After adding, low side shows at the bottom of hatch area.

So which is correct? And if i add the other half quart well it be full or over filled? Don't want to damage my engine.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I would recommend keeping it in the hatched area around the middle to the lower end ... higher on the hatched area will probably burn/consume off down the the middle area pretty quickly

while overfilling it so that it shows on the upper (to the top) of the hatched area isn't bad i wouldn't recommend it still
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Before this thread gets too far off track, I would like to remind everyone that the V8 style dipstick has two hatched areas with a notched or segmented areas in between them. The oil level should in the segmented area, NOT in the hatched areas!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok, yes that middle area is the proper level ... in the hatched areas is low or overfill (but not by that much)

overfill will burn off (or be consumed) if it's not a lot of overfill then no worries

i would also not worry about the level being in the lower cross hatched area either but once it drops off the bottom of that area or reaches the bottom of that area then add some to bring it back to the middle
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Stillrollin,

I am not surprised at all... Those changes took place when GM was at the bottom of the pit. They were looking in every cobweb covered corner for places to shave a dime. the cost of stickers, or even just printed pages, and distribution was prohibitive - and the stick change itself was most like cost driven.

So - the bean counters figured since most car owners never look at their dipstick, nobody would notice, and they could save a buck a car.

Heck - it is 2012 - and I just now noticed this stick thing on my 09! Until then - I just assumed it was the correct stick. Had I not looked in the manual, I never would have noticed.

I am positive there are other changes not documented for the end-user... but if important, will be documented for the GM Shops for their mechanics.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): *2008 SRX4 V6**Gone-2000 Escalade**

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    Before this thread gets too far off track, I would like to remind everyone that the V8 style dipstick has two hatched areas with a notched or segmented areas in between them. The oil level should in the segmented area, NOT in the hatched areas!
    our newer (mine is a 2008) SRXs have similar dipsticks to the V8 but not the same and I included the above quote as the full should be somewhere in the middle, above the lower crosshatched area and below the upper crosshatched area to be full...why couldn't they just use the type of dipstick read we are all used to...

I'm getting ready to do my first oil change...I plan to use Mobil 1 5w30 and I haven't decided on a filter as yet...a lot of conflicting information here...

I have used with great success, K&Ns but the V6 cartridge does not seem to use the same synthetic media as it is only available in the pro series and not the usual heavy duty versions...some have written here that the AC Delco versions have plastic that might collapse...don't know from then to now on Purolater, Mobil 1 seems overly expensive but may be the better choice...Wix shows a cellulose (paper) media...am I wrong here???

Bill

Silversport said
    "why couldn't they just use the type of dipstick read we are all used to"

No kidding.

Can't recommend a filter - best of luck there. But.....If you change your own oil, you might check the level on the dipstick as you add quarts, that way you will know when it is actually full, 1 quart, or 2 quarts low. Mine is a quart low before the dipstick indicates you need to add.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.