Dipstick - - V6 vs V8 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Dipstick - - V6 vs V8 in Cadillac SRX Forums; This may be the root cause of the timing chain failures. Wouldn't that be a hoot....
    G32006SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 AWD
    This may be the root cause of the timing chain failures. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Ranger007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

Re: Dipstick - - V6 vs V8

"i would think that when you do an oil change and check the oil level with the dipstick right after if it is showing on the cross-hatched area then it's the right length"

If it were that simple it would be great - but right after I change the oil I know it has the right amount (because I just put six quarts in).

I would like to know the accuracy of readings when it is 1, 2 or 3 quarts low - and that is the problem I have now with the V8 dipstick in my 3.6

Bill

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger007 View Post

I would like to know the accuracy of readings when it is 1, 2 or 3 quarts low - and that is the problem I have now with the V8 dipstick in my 3.6

Bill
    Katie, can you please follow this up and let us know. I too have major difficulty reading the V8 dipstick in my V6.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger007 View Post

Bill
    i don't quite get what you're saying here

if it's reading right/correct when full after you just poured 6quarts of oil in then why would it not read right/correct when you are low by 1, 2, or 3 quarts?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

A GM tech told me that any oil level in the cross hatch area is considered full. Below that is 1 qt. low. So, if you were 2 qt. low, no oil would show on dipstick (V-8 style) but would on the longer 6 style.

Hi Rippy,

I think I can explain, because I have the same problem with mine. When checking oil (warm or cold), it is almost impossible to get an accurate reading. I usually see the entire cross-hatched area covered in a light coating of oil after wiping the dipstick and reseating it. Quite frankly, I don't believe that is indicative of the level it actually has, because I can check it a few hours later and get a more defined level of oil. In essence, for me to get at least some idea how much oil is in the vehicle I have to make about three readings on different occasions (e.g. cold, after driving and after driving and letting it resettle). My vehicle is a V6 and does not have any oil loss issues, though when readings are this difficult to get - who knows?

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I never have trouble reading my dipstick, I think 2 issues are getting pushed together. If the dipstick is wrong then ok fine that is an issue but if the dipstick is hard to read that is a different issue.

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I never have trouble reading my dipstick, I think 2 issues are getting pushed together. If the dipstick is wrong then ok fine that is an issue but if the dipstick is hard to read that is a different issue.
    Which dipstick does your vehicle have? The cable unit in my '08 V6 will show slightly more oil on one side of the indicator marker than the other. This, no matter how long the car has sat after being driven and no matter how many times it is checked without moving the vehicle.

I have the cable V8 version in my V8, my 04 V8 also had the same cable style.

Maybe I am just really awesome but I never have issue checking it, mind you it gets checked in the garage cold.

I will try checking it hot after a trip on the weekend, I need to change it as well so lots of checking for me.

But my point was a crappy dipstick and an incorrect dipstick are not the same.

I have the V8 style in my V6
    The difficulty in reading could be my fault. Below is an excerpt from the manual on how to do it properly: not cold, not hot, but warm and wait for oil to settle several minutes.

Checking Engine Oil
    It is a good idea to check the engine oil every time you
    get fuel. In order to get an accurate reading, the oil
    must be warm and the vehicle must be on level ground.
    The engine oil dipstick handle is a yellow loop. See
    Engine Compartment Overview on page 5-12 for
    the location of the engine oil dipstick.
    1. Turn off the engine and give the oil several minutes
    to drain back into the oil pan. If you do not do this,
    the oil dipstick might not show the actual level.
    2. Pull out the dipstick and clean it with a paper towel
    or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it
    again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

So back to the dipstick issue...

I know how to sovle this you guys, I am awesome!

Instead of replacing your dipstick just replace your engine to match the dipstick you do have, problem solved.

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    I have the cable V8 version in my V8, my 04 V8 also had the same cable style.

Maybe I am just really awesome but I never have issue checking it, mind you it gets checked in the garage cold.

I will try checking it hot after a trip on the weekend, I need to change it as well so lots of checking for me.

But my point was a crappy dipstick and an incorrect dipstick are not the same.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't any issues with the timing chain on the Northstar engine nor do most
    consume excessive oil when driven above 3000 rpm's.
    This 3.6 V6 is the first GM engine I have ever owned where heavy oil consumption and stretched timing chain or chains
    is considered not to be a problem by the manufacturer.
    My regret is that I was only forty miles away from a '08 SRX AWD V8 for sale with similar mileage and only a few thousand dollars more than I paid for my present vehicle.
    Had I been aware of the issues with this "award winning" engine which replaced the venerable 3.8liter V6, I would have driven the forty miles.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Well...

I got my SRX back from the shop last night - - and the first thing I did was check the dipstick for any part number stampings... There were NONE... NADA... NOTHING anywhere on the stick.

I too find it a bit difficult to read this type of stick - - it picks up oil off of the side of the tube.

Katie is researching for us.

And Rippy found 2 different part numbers - so they did change something sometime.

The part number I found was 12611594

The description indicates this part number is used for 2008 to Current SRX's.

So - did they change the part in 2008, but never updated the book?

===========================================

I kept digging... and found another part number: 12595327

Description states it is for 2004 - 2007...

So - - perhaps THAT is the flat stick - - - and the other part number is the cable stick.

It would have been nice if GM has simply put a sticker on the page.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there is definitely a change of part numbers (and apparently styles) between 2007 and 2008

the 2004-2007 stick did go through two part number changes so possibly one of those part number changes was also a style change

i would almost bet money on the owner's manual not getting updated correctly as the root cause of this confusion

it's kind of like one of those things that is so simple and basic that it was either overlooked or it was decided that it wasn't really worth making the change
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX 3.6

Rippy said
    "i don't quite get what you're saying here
    if it's reading right/correct when full after you just poured 6quarts of oil in then why would it not read right/correct when you are low by 1, 2, or 3 quarts?"
    conedoctor said
    "I never have trouble reading my dipstick, I think 2 issues are getting pushed together. If the dipstick is wrong then ok fine that is an issue but if the dipstick is hard to read that is a different issue."
    glake89 said
    "A GM tech told me that any oil level in the cross hatch area is considered full. Below that is 1 qt. low. So, if you were 2 qt. low, no oil would show on dipstick (V-8 style) but would on the longer 6 style."
    stillrolling said
    "This 3.6 V6 is the first GM engine I have ever owned where heavy oil consumption and stretched timing chain or chains
    is considered not to be a problem by the manufacturer."

What I do know is, is that when I have drained the oil (for an oil change) and it was some halfway down the crosshatch area I was not able to measure 6 quarts (or even close) that were drained, it was less than 5 quarts.
    Whether it is easy (or not) to view the oil on the stick (and it is higher on one side than the other) - I have never before had a car I've had to worry about using oil, and now I do and there isn't an accurate way to measure it. How about them apples?

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.