RIP the greatest SUV Ive ever driven. 2004 SRX V8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, RIP the greatest SUV Ive ever driven. 2004 SRX V8 in Cadillac SRX Forums; In january, I was hit by an elderly man in a camry. My car was a 2004 SRX V8 with ...
    arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

RIP the greatest SUV Ive ever driven. 2004 SRX V8

In january, I was hit by an elderly man in a camry. My car was a 2004 SRX V8 with 140000 miles on it. Car was kept mint except for 2 dents and the crap load of miles i put on it. you can see from the pictures that his small car really did some nice damage. Some how he turned into me instead of the parking lot.

OVER $20,000 WORTH OF DAMAGE

The insurance adjuster didnt even perform a full inspection on it. His tally was up to 17000 without even openeing up the hood or lookign at the suspension. And the accident happen 1 month after me replacing the brakes, and a day after replacing a hub bearing and both front shocks, just my luck. The auto body said that i was probably lookign at 22k to get it fixed.

So although the accident was not my fault and the other guy accepted liability, the insurance company said the rules with totalling that car is that if the damage exceeds 75% of the market value, it is automatically totalled.

Who knows, but look at what I got. 2012 CTS AWD Premium, I'd say its a decent replacement for that car. Im not crazy about the new body style SRX's and I couldnt find a used one with a V8 that was black. I also own a 2004 CTS thats still goign strong so I knew that this new car would last and be a pleasure to drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: RIP the greatest SUV Ive ever driven. 2004 SRX V8

That seems totally wrong to me ARW. But that is the way insurance works......they can write you a check for the NADA or arguably pay double (or more) to repair the vehicle.

I have always wondered what the annual incremental cost of comprehensive automobile insurance would be to have the vehicle appraised and then insured for ACV (actual cash value). What a car is worth to me functionally and aesthetically (plus the additional $ I have in it) versus what the Blue Book states are entirely different.

That is the approach insurance companies take with vintage cars.........you accept some vintage car blue book value or select some higher coverage number based on the appraisal.

PJ

08SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I am looking at the pictures, but I cannot get to $17K in damages, let alone $22K!! Unless the pics are somewhat deceiving I see the following repairs:
    -replace front fender (get replacement from wreck yard) - $300
    -replace tire, possibly rim - $300-1200
    -repair or replace front left suspension components $500
    -perhaps some electrical work $1000

What part am I missing that accounts for the remaining $14000?

sgilbert is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Agree! $3-5000 repair max!

I couldnt get the number that high either. But what you cant see is that the pillar by the door was smashed in pretty hard, which is what the auto body owner said would be the biggest issue. But i doubt they were working the numbers based on wreck yard figures. front bumper, front headlight, front fog light housing and monuts, unpainted fender- 250, fender liner, the air intake box supports had broke, the springs, shocks, ball joint, uper and lower a arms were damaged, wheel is 600, 300 tire, hub bearing- 200, and none of that includes mechanical labor, paint supplies or paint labor. its AWd also so the axle shaft was broken, along with the seals and the differential up front. So I dont neccessarily believe that the number is that high either. but theres nothing you can do about it. I ended up fighting for $13500 from the insurance company. if i were to have traded that in before this happened, i would be lucky to get 7k out of it so what can ya do

----------

wheel-600
    tire-300
    hub bearing-200
    axle shaft-$$
    seals-$$
    Rack and pinion-$$$
    Tire rod-$
    Hood
    Bumper
    Fender
    Fender liner
    Door
    Pillar Repair
    Shock-100
    Spring-$
    Strut mount
    Upper A arm
    Lower A arm
    Ball Joint
    Fog light and housign and mounts
    Head light
    Rocker panel
    Straches all along the driver side of car repair
    door would not close- labor for that
    Misc electrical repair
    Paint Supplies
    Paint Labor
    Mechanical Labor

So I think that tallies up over 5k, and Im sure that theres more that im missing. The pictures really dont depict how mch damage was truely done

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

IMO I don't think having a bent frame is worth it. I am surprised you couldn't find a used, black V8. You could have even gone '08+ and gotten the upgraded (in most regards) interior. At least enjoy your new car. When the new Cadillac lambda comes out next year, I will probably upgrade to get a descent/usable third row. I will sell you my '09 black diamond. I am definitely a car guy, so it is in really nice shape.

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    IMO I don't think having a bent frame is worth it. I am surprised you couldn't find a used, black V8. You could have even gone '08+ and gotten the upgraded (in most regards) interior. At least enjoy your new car. When the new Cadillac lambda comes out next year, I will probably upgrade to get a descent/usable third row. I will sell you my '09 black diamond. I am definitely a car guy, so it is in really nice shape.
    I appreciate it, but im pretty happy with the new CTS. If they do come out with the new SUV I can always trade that thign in for it, maybe even for the 2014 cts since its bigger

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    I appreciate it, but im pretty happy with the new CTS. If they do come out with the new SUV I can always trade that thign in for it, maybe even for the 2014 cts since its bigger
    the problem with that is it doesn't help me get rid of my SRX.

08SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I still think someone is trying to stiff you for $12000. The obvious damage is wheel, suspension and fender. The pictures tell me that:

- there is no damage to the front head lamp unit
    - there is no damage to the fog lamp unit
    - minor surficial scratches on bumper and door
    - the A pillar is probably fine

Again, based on the pictures I may be off a couple of 1000, but not $10000.

06onyx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as far as your insurance company is concerned, an '04 with that mileage is only worth $12K at best. That being said, even at $10K worth of damage, it's easily totaled. Sorry for your luck, but glad to hear you were not hurt. And nice choice on the CTS! She's a beauty.

Paulie Walnuts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my heart goes out to you...seems silly but I think I'd be just as upset - driving you srx's twin - 196,000 miles - mint - people can't get over it - worthless to an adjuster I am sure - but irreplaceable to me.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    That's very unfortunate.
    On a side note those the only SRX rims that I think look good on the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.