Those pesky door panel pop-out covers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Those pesky door panel pop-out covers in Cadillac SRX Forums; The '07-'09 door panels require popping out a little square plastic plug under the arm rest, and the bezel around ...
    The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Those pesky door panel pop-out covers

The '07-'09 door panels require popping out a little square plastic plug under the arm rest, and the bezel around the door handle. I'm sure there is a proper place and way to pry on them so the tabs don't break. The shop manual gives no clue. Anyone removed a door panel and knows the technique for getting these expensive little covers popped off?
    Probably slide a flat tool under the bottom edge, or the front edge, or the back edge; but who knows?

Tks,
    DG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Re: Those pesky door panel pop-out covers

Well, no replies, but I went ahead and forged on.
    Thought I'd document my success here for future reference.

This is for the '07-'09 front door panels, don't know about the earlier ones.

1. The rectangle trim piece under the arm rest is held on by two tangs, in the center top and center bottom.
    Prying up at the center bottom with a flat putty knife popped it loose without damage. (whew, it's $25 new).
    2. The bezel around the door handle does NOT come off; there is a small piece in the handle recess about 2 inches square which pops out to reveal the screw behind it. Pull the handle open and wedge an angled tool in behind the piece, just in front of the edge of the door handle, and work to pop the piece straight out. It's held by 3 small tangs. I used a plastic trim tool with an angled end and just wiggled it around behind the trim piece a bit and suddenly it popped right out. (whew again).
    3. The rest is pretty straightforward; remove the screws that were just uncovered, and the lock knob, and start prying the snaps loose around the periphery with a plastic flat bladed trim tool (Harbor Freight). I had the best luck starting at the top and popping them out - there is no lip at the top that the panel fits over, like so many earlier GM cars had. The black triangle at the top front has a pop pin also; just be careful to bring it out along with the whole panel, it's screwed to the main panel on the bottom edge. (and it's mega-expensive).
    4. the electrical connections just automatically unplug as the panel is snapped out - cool.
    5. Reassembly was cake, as there are two long alignment pins, and no top lip to forced the panel over.

Oh, I did this so i could check out the mirror mounting; got a bit of wind noise in that area. Filled a gap in the insulation rubber behind the mirror, maybe I fixed it.

Cheers,
    DG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.