Anyone try to trade in your SRX at a Non-Cadillac Dealer?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Anyone try to trade in your SRX at a Non-Cadillac Dealer?? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by SLCLK500 Yeah, but I get what dctex99 is saying, the dealer was trying to screw him out ...
    dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Re: Anyone try to trade in your SRX at a Non-Cadillac Dealer??

Quote Originally Posted by SLCLK500 View Post
    Yeah, but I get what dctex99 is saying, the dealer was trying to screw him out of $2K - he knew it was worth $11K (or more) before dctex99 walked out of the place, it is just a sales tacit - I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a car that they said "we have a contract on it" and when I get home, I get a call from the dealer "hey, that contract fell through, come on back, the car's yours". I wasn't born yesterday - I hate playing these kind of games and I won't let sales people manipulate me (or at least if I can help it).
    My thoughts exactly; He said HIS SALES MANAGER checked all the auction sheets and that was ALL my vehicle was worth.....I emailed him the average selling price from www.cars.com and www.edmunds.com and he said "Rhett" said he would go another $2,000. If I continued his game I would email that my price on HIS car just came down $3,000; but I am thru with him!!!

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Originally Posted by SLCLK500
    Yeah, but I get what dctex99 is saying, the dealer was trying to screw him out of $2K - he knew it was worth $11K (or more) before dctex99 walked out of the place, it is just a sales tacit - I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a car that they said "we have a contract on it" and when I get home, I get a call from the dealer "hey, that contract fell through, come on back, the car's yours". I wasn't born yesterday - I hate playing these kind of games and I won't let sales people manipulate me (or at least if I can help it).

dctex response:My thoughts exactly; He said HIS SALES MANAGER checked all the auction sheets and that was ALL my vehicle was worth.....I emailed him the average selling price from www.cars.com and www.edmunds.com and he said "Rhett" said he would go another $2,000. If I continued his game I would email that my price on HIS car just came down $3,000; but I am thru with him!!!

__________________________________________________ ____

dctex........why wouldn't you want to continue your upward assault on his lowball, ridiculous trade-in offer when you already had him backpedalling and finally moving in the right direction with facts? And why wouldn't you continue your challenge of his inflated sell price on the Benz, using your well-researched facts?

You were doing quite well at this point as far as I could see. And since we are just 8 days from the end of his sales month, the pressure was and is all on him to make the right moves, to compromise to your position and to your benefit.

After all, you are in no hurry and are not desperate to buy his car. And his dealership is not the only game in town. But arguably, he IS desperate to move a car, and soon. My bet is you will be hearing again from him in the next few days unless he feels he burned the bridges and is afraid to call you back with another offer......but I doubt the latter.

Another point in your favor, people are not lined up outside his cube or his office, patiently waiting their turn to buy from him........except the ones who can't close the deal with the capacity to secure financing or have the cash in hand. You have two things that are particularly vital to him: warm blood running through your veins and the financial capacity to seal the deal.

In most ways we all agree on this stuff. The entire automotive purchase process isn't open and shut simple. It can be time-consuming (research), more complicated than we would like, frustrating, and comes with a boat load of suspicion that the person on the other side of the table is not dealing in good faith, is out to maximize things to his/the dealer's benefit, much to my detriment. All true.

The sales person and/or the sales manager may treat me like I just fell off the turnip truck, or they “suddenly and miraculously” found some wiggle room and are now throwing me a bone, or another bone.. And I should be thankful for that?!? No, not yet......

This is where you and I and SLCLK500 may differ in opinion. We have to take our emotions out of car buying if we are going to get the best deal for ourselves. Would you rather be right, or would you rather win? They are not the same concepts.

I would rather “win,” get what I want at the fair price I want or need, rather than be right but lose the deal/car and move on.

Being right doesn’t get me my car at my fair deal amount. Getting (justifiably) insulted or angry at a sales person and moving on to the next dealer, while very appealing, is unlikely to yield too much of anything different: different dealer, same issues, same sparring, same suspicions, same “bad faith” bargaining. I have to remind myself that my goal in all of this is the car I want at a fair price, including my trade.

I don't begrudge that sales person/the dealer what he/they want, need, or say they need. They are trying to get the highest $ amount they can get out of me while I am trying to pay them the lowest $ amount I can. This is where there is some departure from what they say can do for me, and what they can actually do for me. Their compromises to me cost them salary, incentives, job performance, or maybe even their job.

Likewise, there is some departure from what I say I am willing or can pay and what I really can or be will be willing to pay. My compromises take food off my table.

So we would be best served by checking our ego at the door and meet the "opposition" head on with facts, knowledge, and calm conviction. At the end of the day I have what they want and they have what I want.....nothing more and nothing less.

Which one of us is being untruthful, or more untruthful? Both of us, and to varying degrees. Buying and trading in, or selling and taking in trade.........these always were, are, and always will be somewhat adversarial transactions because the parties are at opposed purposes, where only negotiation can close the gap.

Most of us don’t like this compromise and negotiating part of the process, especially if we feel we are the only ones bargaining fairly and in good faith. We let our emotions step in, we get justifiably angry, and we stomp out. I myself was the poster child for this reaction when I was younger. Guilty as charged. Now I just pick up my things (stack of eveidence that I know exactly what I an talking about) and calmly tell the sales person to call me when he wants to get serious and sell a car. "Gotta go now and find me a car!"

Sure, the treatment you received is insulting, but it is more the norm than the exception in the automotive business. No? If it wasn't the norm, automotive salespeople would not be held in some disdain by our society, in the same esteem as, say, lawyers and thieves. My apologies to the lawyers out there. The thieves take my statement as a professional compliment.

I don't have to like my salesperson. I don't have to respect him. I don't even have to ever deal with him again once I drive off in my new ride. And I certainly don't need anything from him to validate myself. I validate me.

Would you rather be right, or would you rather win? Your choice.

Respectfully,

PJ

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Great post; it is true, I have NEVER gone back to a salesman again for a car for many reasons!! Usually because I wanted a very different car or was in a different city!! I am in Escondido, and it seems like we have all the worst dealers? Prejudiced, NO, proven! The very first time was when I was younger, restoring Thunderbirds and on a Car Club Council that met at the Ford Regional Offices than in Irvine. I complained to an employee up there about problems with my dealer in purchasing and he told me in confidence(20 years ago) that our dealer was considered almost the Worst dealer in the region, and that there were worse;;;all kind of interesting and I never went back to them!! I could go on for 2 pages; all documented, sometimes by accident...!!

Vettersandhubby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac srx v8

Hey Dctex it's Vettersandhubby, Me I understand exactly. Before we got our SRX we went to a few places. We had a PT Cruiser Ltd. Loved the car but needed more room. Looked online Kelley blue book, Edmunds, etc, said asking was $6500, only had 54000m the dealer even had a rebate coupon we got to use from our finance co. Sounded good right? Wrong..Dealer typed up papers and before we signed I looked at he marked he was outright buying our LTD with 6 disk cd changer heated leather seats, moonroof, chrome rims, new tires and insp., said was buying for $1500! So we of course left and went somewhere else. Me always read the fine print and try as you will to not take the first offer handed. The economy is really bad and they need to move these cars. So good for you for standing your ground on the $2k up in price.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.