GM Timing Chain Letter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, GM Timing Chain Letter in Cadillac SRX Forums; Anyone receive the GM timing chain letter with the extension clause yet? If not, I have a copy....
    BenzMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 SRX

Cool GM Timing Chain Letter

Anyone receive the GM timing chain letter with the extension clause yet? If not, I have a copy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: GM Timing Chain Letter

Quote Originally Posted by BenzMan View Post
    Anyone receive the GM timing chain letter with the extension clause yet? If not, I have a copy.
    Anyway you can post it here - could remove VIN etc.

drfnw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury, formerly in 2007 SRX V6 CPO

Yes, I did. About a week ago. Its in my glove box, though probably not necessary as it is VIN based.

hgocht is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'd love a copy - hgocht@rogers.com - THANKS!!!

kc2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Hi. I would LOVE a copy too. Can you email it to me: kchancey75@gmail.com
    Thanks so much!!

SLCLK500 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V6 (& the two MBZ in my ID)

Here's what Google found:

Date: 02/09/2011
    Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES DCS2552
    URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: February 9, 2010

Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program
    Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

Models: 2007 GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK
    2007-09 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
    2009 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK Equipped with a HFV6 Engine

To: All GM Dealers

Attention: General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager,
    Used Vehicle Sales Manager, and Warranty Administrator

General Motors is announcing Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 today. The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 383,000. Please see the attached bulletin for details.

Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program will be administered in phases. The first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles. You will be notified when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the vehicles.

Customer Letter Mailing

The customer letter mailing will begin on February 15, 2011, for Cadillac customers.

Global Connect (GWM)

The "Investigate Vehicle History" (GMVIS 2) link on the Global Warranty Management (GWM) application within GlobalConnect will be updated February 9, 2011, with Cadillac VINs.

Campaign Initiation Detail Report (CIDR)

The CIDR will be available February 11, 2011, for the Cadillac vehicles.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Message Attachment(s):
    10287 bulletin.pdf Acrobat PDF (77.17KB) 10287

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
    SUBJECT: Premature Timing Chain Wear – Reprogram Engine Control Module
    MODELS: 2009 Buick Enclave
    2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
    2009 Chevrolet Traverse
    2007 GMC Acadia
    2009 GMC Acadia
    2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
    2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
    Equipped with HFV6 Engine

Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program is being administered in
    phases. This first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles only. You will receive a dealer
    message when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the
    vehicles.

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2013.

CONDITION
    On certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac
    CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn
    OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine, under certain driving conditions, and with
    extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the
    illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

CORRECTION
    Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
    Involved are certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year
    Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia;
    and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine
    Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the
    Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system.
    For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete
    vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and
    will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or
    sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved
    vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle
    Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other
    than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several
    states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the
    follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Dear General Motors Customer:
    This notice is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a Customer Satisfaction
    Program that affects 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year
    Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia;
    and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a V6 engine.

Your vehicle was designed and built to meet GM's high standards for quality and reliability.
    However, we have determined that under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil
    change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the
    Service Engine Soon light. Timing chain wear can be affected by the age of the engine oil and
    driving conditions.

What We Will Do:
    To ensure that your vehicle will not experience this condition, your GM
    dealer will change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life
    monitor, which in most cases will recommend more frequent oil changes. This calibration
    change will be performed for you at no charge until February 28, 2013.

What You Should Do:
    To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact
    your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.

Sentinelist is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum, white diamond, 118k

Bump for good info. This knowledge helps as I'm shopping for a 2007 V6 and now know what to look for/do/ask.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelist View Post
    Bump for good info. This knowledge helps as I'm shopping for a 2007 V6 and now know what to look for/do/ask.
    Happy you're finding this forum informative! Feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you have any additional questions, and I'm always happy to assist where I can.

Happy car hunting,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

SLCLK500 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX V6 (& the two MBZ in my ID)

I just read in the CTS forum that Cadillac sent out a letter that it appears that reprogramming the ECM has not solved the problem and they are extending the warranty on the timing chain (for some years?). Does anyone know if this has any applicability to the 3.6L engines in our SRX and if so, what years?

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

I saw something herein awhile back that said the extended warranty applied to 2007 models only.
    I see you have an '06, and I have an '08; so us Rowlett boys are outta luck.

DG

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Read the OP again, it says 07-09 SRX, that includes 08 in my book. I wouldn't give up w/an 06. There have been bulletins that include all the way back to 04s. Best bet is to have a cordial discussion with your dealer, backed by copies of all the pertinent bulletins you can find. You may be able to get them to start a case for you with Cadillac Cust. Sv. Worked for me, may take a year for a resolution but WTH.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

Well, the posts above only reference the computer re-program, which I did get for my '08. But that only shortens the oil change interval message from approx 15k to approx 9k miles. The '07's actually are receiving an extended warranty on the timing chain.

DG

buzz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 2008, SRX 2008

We had the timing chain replaced on our 2006 SRX with 100,000 miles and it was covered by Cadillac's extended warranty. This car had the certified extended plan. GM even paid for a rental car while the repair was completed.

We replaced the 2006 with a 2008 SRX, and I thought the problem only applied to certain 2005 & 2006 SRX models. Now it appears the problem exists with all SRX and also STS. This concerns me as we also have 2008 STS. Both cars have about 69,000 miles, and the STS does have an annoying clicking sound at idle, perhaps not related to the timing chain.

Both cars still have the balance of the original power train warranty, good for 5 years or 100,000 miles, I believe. Should I be concerned about this? Unfortunately, our original dealer closed down about 2 years ago, and we have been using a local Chevy dealer for our in and out of warranty service.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi Buzz,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm always available via private message to verify the details of the warranties still applicable on your SRX and to assist with any other questions you may have. I'd definitely recommend contacting your dealership if you have any detailed questions regarding existing bulletins on your vehicle. (And if you PM me the last eight of your VIN, I can check to see if there are any open recalls on your SRX that relate to your concerns!)

All GM customers should expect excellent service from all GM dealers, and we always suggest the closest dealers to our customers. If you'd ever like me to search for nearby Cadillac dealers for you, just let me know; however, your Chevrolet dealer should be equipped to provide you with great service!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Got letter today from Cadillac 2008 SRX 3.6. I had the timing chains replaced at 43,000 2 yrs ago(warranty). Letter states that my warranty is extended for 10 years from the repair or 120,000 miles. Also if you had the chains replaced out of warranty they will reimburse you. I am pleased the GM is standing behind their products. Traded 08 in last April 2011 for a 2010 SRX don't know why I got the letter?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.