GM Timing Chain Letter - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, GM Timing Chain Letter in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by conedoctor So where are all the GM haters at now? I may not "hate" GM, but I ...
    Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

Re: GM Timing Chain Letter

Quote Originally Posted by conedoctor View Post
    So where are all the GM haters at now?
    I may not "hate" GM, but I sure wish they would have updated the 3.8 liter V6 rather than to
    go with the "flow" toward the OHC engine. Perhaps with an aluminum block and set of polished heads
    along with a modern variable pitch turbocharger to enhance low speed torque.
    These porkers need at least 350 fft.lbs. to maintain speed in hilly country.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

...or something like a 4.0L V8 turbo. Say ..420 horses? The move away from V8s is because it is cheaper to manufacture V6s in most cases, but they don't sound as nice, are not as smooth and get no better mileage.
    Stillrollin and Stillrollin like this.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

I got mine on my 2009 last night...

It is like allgm's letter... started out stating GM knew mine had been replace, and that I had taken it in for the recall service. Same as the others - 10 years / 120k miles.

Mine clearly indicated that GM discovered reprogramming for oil changes more often did not stop the chains from going bad.

I put WAY more then 12k miles a year on mine.. more like 16 to 18k.

I was quite concerned about the T-Chain, considering how many are being replaced. So this helps "ease the mind" a bit.

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

I received mine, nice to know GM is standing behind the SRX.

Tom
    USAF Retired

carguy2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Seville & 2 Corvettes 69 & 07

I have a 08 V6 52k miles. Received my letter this past week. Timing chain warranty extended to 120 miles or 10 years from in-service date. I had the reprogramming done about 4-5 months ago. I wonder if you have to have the reprogramming done to get the extended warranty.

mrriverajr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX AWD V6

wheres my 2005 letter?
    dctex99 and dctex99 like this.

VNESSA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Hi: I am new to this forum and recently found out about the timing chain issue/letter regarding the Customer Satisfaction Program # 10287 - Premature Timing Chain Wear, however I NEVER RECEIVED ANY information regarding it!! I own a 2007 Cadillac CTS that has just been diagnosed by a mechanic with this issue!! I am so upset over it you have NO IDEA! How do I find out if my CTS is one of the vehicles included in this program?? I really need to know ASAP.....any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

call any GM dealer and have the service department run your VIN to check for special coverage #10287

some of these special coverages will even pay you for a repair that you already have had performed
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rdgfx3 Guest

Another Rowlett guy here.

I had mine replaced at my cost. Lucky for me I have a good mechanic buddy who charged me a low price and no markup on the parts. It would be nice to be reimbursed. I'll wish in one hand and...

karlynej is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just spoke with a GM dealership and was told my car didnt come up with code #10287 based on my vin#. However, can anyone suggest a time to replace the timing chain. My mechanic is worried it may become an issue. I have the 2005 CTS with a little over 88k miles. My mechanic has replaced the tensonor already. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the time to replace the chain is when it is worn and causes a check engine light (there is a sensor to monitor the chain stretch)

before that you're wasting your $$
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.