Front end rattle/chatter when coming to stop [VIDEO INSIDE]
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Front end rattle/chatter when coming to stop [VIDEO INSIDE] in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi everyone. My wife and I recently picked up an 04 SRX, 3.6 AWD and we have been enjoying it ...
    Meatstick62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX 3.6 AWD

Front end rattle/chatter when coming to stop [VIDEO INSIDE]

Hi everyone. My wife and I recently picked up an 04 SRX, 3.6 AWD and we have been enjoying it for the past 2 months. However, since shortly after we got it, it's been making this loud chattering/rattling nose when coming to a stop. The sound seems to be coming from the front right corner. The sounds is audible in the video starting around the 0:05 mark. It sounds a lot like the clicking of a diesel engine engine. The noise only happens when stopping, not accelerating and seems to start once the cars gets down into 1st gear and the RPM's drop through the 1000-800rpm range. The noise stops approximately 0.5-1 seconds after coming to a complete stop. I'm not sure what this is and it's starting to bug me. I'm planning on getting under the car to check it out this week but I wanted to know if anyone happens to know what this noise is caused by or has any suggestions on where I should start looking.

Picture of our SRX and video of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYLX...yer_detailpage

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Re: Front end rattle/chatter when coming to stop [VIDEO INSIDE]

to the forum.

There have been some reports of loose calipers. Worth checking.

With my poor hearing (age), sounded like ABS noise. The brake modulator is in the right front corner, down low. Unless you have DTCs, not to worry.

Thanks. I thought it might be a brake issue, but I noticed that it also does it when cruising to a stop and not applying the brakes.

We don't have a CEL right now, but there was one that popped up and went away a month ago. It was the P0341 (cam position sensor) code for bank1, but it went away after a day or two. It did come back on a week later, but only for a few hours. Other than that we haven't had any other codes thrown.

I'll check out the brakes when I'm under there, but I'm stumped. Is the ABS pump a common issue?

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Have you checked the oil?

Do some searching, but first check the oil.

I check the oil every time I gas up but since my wife is the primary driver that's usually only once every 3-4 weeks. The most oil consumption that I've noticed between checks has been about 0.5 qt (~1.25 qt burned in 4500 mi). We bought the car with a fresh oil change (filled to the proper capacity) and we first noticed the noise shortly after the purchase. I don't think oil level is the culprit, but that doesn't eliminate the chance that the noise isn't oil related.

Well another update, I check the oil every week now and have noticed a little missing but not enough to cause concern though. The noise is still present and is getting louder and more frequent. I've noticed a bit of oil underneath the engine and the front of the block on the passenger side appears to be dirtier than the drivers said (as if it has some liquid or grease causing dirt to stick there more).

I'm not sure if I'm having some sort of lubrication issue, if so why it would only be occurring in that limited range of conditions (1100-800 rpm range while decelerating only.) Any other ideas? Could it be related to the code for the cam position sensor on Bank 1 I got a while back?

I'm going to look into it more this weekend in the garage before giving in to the wife's demands and taking it to the dealer. Any help keeping $ in my pocket is appreciated.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I'm sorry to hear about the rattle you're continuing to experience, Meatstick62. Forum members are a knowledgeable resource, but I'm also very glad you're considering taking your SRX to the dealership for a thorough diagnosis if your concerns persist.

Please keep us updated!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

gmaltese is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 srx

had the same thing happen, turned out to be the front wheel bearing driver side, sounded like it was comeing from the right side, go figure, good luck let us know what happened.

So I took it into the dealer and they're saying that it is the timing chain. They're quoting $2300+tax to change the timing chains, guides, tensioners, coolant, and oil. I'm going to do some more research, but it seems to me that if the chain is worn or stretched enough to make noise, it should be throwing a code for bad timing.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by Meatstick62 View Post
    So I took it into the dealer and they're saying that it is the timing chain. They're quoting $2300+tax to change the timing chains, guides, tensioners, coolant, and oil. I'm going to do some more research, but it seems to me that if the chain is worn or stretched enough to make noise, it should be throwing a code for bad timing.
    Mine never threw a code, and the chain was noisy, obviously stretched and damaging the tensioner pads. Yours has thrown a cam position code. I would have to hear the engine personally (videos seldom do a good job reproducing noises), but I strongly suspect you need a new timing chain set.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go ahead and change the whole timing chain assembly and we'll see if the noise is gone. I'll post back here once that's complete.

plasticbrain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 SRX

Any updates on this, Meatstick? I'm experiencing the exact same issue, but hate to tear the engine down if this didn't fix your problem.

Thanks!

repnatl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    The chains are very expensive at a shop they aren't too difficult with an extensive knowledge of mechanics not for the amateur by any means. Get back to use to let us know how it went.

I went ahead and changed the chains using the DIY on these forums. That seemed to solve the chain noise! Ended up costing a total of roughly $500- a lot less than the $2500 the dealer quoted. It did take ~20 hrs of work though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.