SRX Bumper Tow Points - you might want to check yours
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, SRX Bumper Tow Points - you might want to check yours in Cadillac SRX Forums; I just received a response from Breanne which answered my question as to why my '08 has nothing but sheet ...
    shwtibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac SRX Sport AWD V-6

SRX Bumper Tow Points - you might want to check yours

I just received a response from Breanne which answered my question as to why my '08 has nothing but sheet metal behind the ~2"x2" plastic cover on my front bumper (the rear bumper 'knockout' has a female threaded connection for an recovery eye-bolt). The response was that it probably "was deleted for cost savings". So......priceless. My '08 SRX Sport with the really low valence is not able to be towed out of a stuck situation (without both trashing the front valence and digging under the front frame to hook up a tow chain) because Cadillac wanted to save 50 cents on a female threaded fitting behind the bumper.....give me a break! What were they thinking? You may want to check whats behind your 2"x2" bumper covers before your SRX gets stuck this winter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Re: SRX Bumper Tow Points - you might want to check yours

I found some dirt and a dead spider behind mine on my 09'.

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I bet it saved way more than .50.

The fact most people have never or will never use the recovery hook makes me think they made the right choice in saving the money, and the fact is if you are that stuck I don't think the one small recovery eye bolt is going to get you out anyways.

Just make sure you get stuck with the back of the car facing out

Probably right on the 50 cents but it's concerning wondering why GM would choose to cost save with a minor front bumper fitting on a ~$50,000 retail vehicle when, in certain situations, it would really come in handy and not damage a Sport front end. I wonder if it was not deleted more for liability reasons than cost savings as pulling excessively from that point (like from the vehicle being down an embankment) might rip the bumper + off, but then why is there a tow point from the rear bumper? None of it makes much sense.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Thought of the day: A bolt is cheaper than a lane departure warning system. I'm done thinking for the day.

The Wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 SRX V6

My early '08 with the std bumper has the threaded hole - I just checked it.
    The parcel net and the bolt were discontinued somewhere along the line.

So, I guess they left the threaded section in for awhile, maybe hoping it would encourage new owners to rush down and buy the bolt? They did pull me in on the parcel net - I really wanted it - but haven't sprung for the bolt yet.

DG

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

I am sure they asked the vendor once "How much less if you don't weld in a plate and thread it, and they said a couple bucks and they said, Quit doing it, and used up the old ones on the assembly lines and worked in the new ones without anything behiind them. Some people and companies just can't resist saving a buck; I know a millionaire that dries his hands with a paper towel and stacks them up and when they dry takes them to the garage for second use!!! Some of this is a personal thing and other is companies being just as penny pinching!!!

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

If you do have one, and use it, be careful, we had a poor guy get killed with a two strap failure:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne...134822113.html

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

It was never intended as a "recovery hook." A tow hook is an export requirement for straight line towing in the UK.
    Also used to tie the vehicle down on a ocean vessel. It was not cost effective to produce fascia's with,
    and with out tow hook access covers, so every fascia gets them.
    Furthermore, the bumper system was not designed with "yanking" in mind. I would use a tow hook for "yanking" at your own risk.

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Jim, then why does the owners manual say this?
    Your vehicle may have a recovery hook. The recovery hook is provided in the jack storage area. The hook can be installed either at the front of the vehicle on the passenger side or at the rear of the vehicle on the driver side. At either location, remove the access cap from the vehicle trim and screw the hook into position. You may need to use the hook if you are stuck off-road and need to be pulled to some place where you can continue driving.

I think we can all agree that the recovery - tow - eyebolt connections are for judicious and careful use only. I would never even consider using it if my SRX was down an embankment but would if it was just in some deep snow, high-centered but needing minimal straight line torque to get it back on the road. My irritation in initiating this post is that Cadillac randomly deletes front/rear or both tow points, eye-bolts and that these relatively minor cost savings to them would save their customers tow dollars; the hassle of wrestling through the muck trying to affix chains to the frame and potential fascia damage. I would have loved the option to spend an additional ~$150 for a tow hook option which would have included both threaded bumper fittings and a eye-bolt.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

First, a comment on the paper towels: Reusing them saves trees and landfill space. While I keep a fresh roll hanging in the garage, I reuse the ones in the kitchen to clean the floor after my messy cats eat.

Second, thanks for the heads up on the front eyebolt anchor. I have a trailer hitch to use as a rear weed hook. It's the front that I was concerned about, given the ground scraping facia and the expensive suspension arms available as substitute hook-up points.

rodinoma is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade; 2009 XLR; 2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V

The recovery hooks with eye bolts is a requirement for all Cadillacs sold OUTSIDE of Canada, the USA and Mexico. There are two regulatory standards in the world - the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard - for the USA, Canada and Mexico) and the EUNECE standard for the rest of the world - and I mean the rest of the world. The EUNECE standard is superior for many different reasons which we dont have the time and space to go into. In the US if your Cadillac breaks down the tow truck will arrive and he will fiddle under your car and usually strap a belt around the wheels and suspension and yank your car onto the flatbed - that means he will usually either damage the car's suspension or at the very least misalign the wheel geometry. In the rest of the world the tow truck will simply borrow your eye bolt, thread it into the front or rear recovery hook slot and gently hoist your car onto the flatbed. So this is why you see the 2cm x 2cm cover on the front and rear bumper. It is for the export markets and not for us Americans because we are too cheap to want these kinds of safety features on our cars. The same goes for amber turn signals (export requirement); headlamp washers (export requirement) or rear fog lights (export requirement).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.