Another timing chain diy - pics of step-by-step disassembly
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Another timing chain diy - pics of step-by-step disassembly in Cadillac SRX Forums; 2006 SRX 3.6L, LY7, 2WD, Towing Package. 161K miles. No codes. Loud 5 second startup, loud idle. In progress. Check ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Another timing chain diy - step by step pics

2006 SRX 3.6L, LY7, 2WD, Towing Package. 161K miles. No codes. Loud 5 second startup, loud idle.

In progress. Check it out at http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com/timingchain

Biggest ordeal so far was figuring out I didn't need to decouple the fan clutch on my three-fan system. Really easy if you have a good set of tools. I'm having fun, a couple of hours into it. Helpful drawings posted in the Disassembly I and II albums.

A couple of things I've noticed.

1) If you have the three fan system, the fan comes out with the shroud and the fan bracket. You don't need to undo the fan hub nut.

2) You don't need to disconnect the alternator or remove it or the tensioner from the alternator bracket. They all come out together, just move them aside.

3) You don't need to disconnect the ps reservoir or the ps pump. Unbolt the reservoir bracket from the engine and move it aside. Remove the ps pulley, remove one bracket bolt and loosen the other two.

4) You don't need to remove the ECM from its bracket, or disconnect that harness. No need to introduce stray electrical problems.

5) You don't need to remove the upper intake manifold from the lower, or remove the fuel injectors from the manifold. Just remove the entire manifold, set is aside and use a metal 3/8" fuel line removal tool (my plastic ones wouldn't work) for the fuel line that runs into the back.

6) Use baggies for each assembly, label them with a sharpie. Pics help too.

7) Take breaks every couple of hours and have fun with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Re: Another timing chain diy - pics of step-by-step disassembly

Appreciate your efforts. I'm guessing I'll be doing this someday down the road, although hopefully it will be a few years out.

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Thanks for documenting your work. Actual photos generally are clearer than line drawings that are in the service manual.
    Hopefully won't have to reference your work but it's a valuable asset to have.
    My 07 has 40000+ miles and on it's original set of timing chains. I suspect most owners will not have a problem but there seems to be plenty that do. It would be interesting to know the root cause(s) of the failure.... that is why some do.... even multiple failures.
    I've use Mobil1 5W-30 and change at 7000-7500 miles. OLM 45-50% until the PCM update and virtually no oil consumption between changes.
    I did remove the upper engine shield AKA "Fuel Injector Sight Shield". Did about a year or so ago. My thinking was if there was a need to get at something it would have to come off anyway.... plus, and I have no supporting data, more airflow over the upper engine could produce lower temperatures. Also when I open the hood I like to see an engine, not a sight shield! I make no claims removing the shield has anything to do with improved chain life.

Quote Originally Posted by n7don_srx View Post
    My 07 has 40000+ miles and on it's original set of timing chains. I suspect most owners will not have a problem but there seems to be plenty that do. It would be interesting to know the root cause(s) of the failure.... that is why some do.... even multiple failures.
    I hesistate to call it a failure at 160K miles. This engine has been reliable - I have done fairly regular oil changes but by no means have I been obsessive about it. Same with air filters. Coolant was changed only because I had the radiator replaced when I hit a deer. Spark plugs have never been changed. Transmission oil has never been changed.

I think I'd call it something more like excessive wear than a failure. I will check the chain when it comes out but I suspect I will find it is "stretched" like others. Of course, all that means is that the pins have worn out the holes in the links. That's an issue of lubrication and use. Like I say, my engine has not been babied with maintenance, and I have used the SRX to tow jets skis and dune buggies. It's had a productive life, and I look forward to another 100K or so after this repair.

"Well, there's your problem."

Show this to your buddy that tries to tell you chains don't "stretch."

Pretty sure the OUTSIDE of the chain is not supposed to be a wear item:

I didn't think rats could get inside the crankcase and chew on stuff:

I think I got my money's worth out of this tensioner.

This is why you replace the gears, too:

Most of the wear was on the primary chain guides:

But even the secondary guides were worn:

Just so much whacking with a loose chain they will take before cracking:

Lots more pix and some diagrams at http://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.com/timingchain. When viewing albums, use the slideshow feature at fullscreen.

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Sadly a vehicle that does NOT have the quality to run high mileage; my sister's Honda has over 200,000 miles with NO major problems...Since I am NOT a mechanic; dumping this poorly made engine is on the list soon.....so sad...GM HAS made dependable cars in the past; but too many vendors burned them on this POS!

Quote Originally Posted by dctex99 View Post
    Sadly a vehicle that does NOT have the quality to run high mileage; my sister's Honda has over 200,000 miles with NO major problems...Since I am NOT a mechanic; dumping this poorly made engine is on the list soon.....so sad...GM HAS made dependable cars in the past; but too many vendors burned them on this POS!
    To each his own. Plenty of Hondas out there with blown motors well under 160K, plenty of SRXs out there with well over 200K and no problems. Wish you had something more positive to contribute. Maybe you could start a different thread with complaints.

dctex99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Lexus RX350, Satin Cashmere Metallic

Sadly, that is what we mainly hear about these poorly made cars......Time for at least a Ford, and consider many foreign better quality products!!

Quote Originally Posted by dctex99 View Post
    Sadly, that is what we mainly hear about these poorly made cars......Time for at least a Ford, and consider many foreign better quality products!!
    Well, there are plenty of forums for whatever Ford or import you decide on, and I am sure they will be happy to have your posts. I hope you are happier there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.