Another timing chain diy - pics of step-by-step disassembly - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Another timing chain diy - pics of step-by-step disassembly in Cadillac SRX Forums; Remove the water outlet with upper radiator hose: Remove the alt / wp belt: Remove water pump pulley: If you ...
    ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Re: Another timing chain diy - pics of step-by-step disassembly

Remove the water outlet with upper radiator hose:

Remove the alt / wp belt:

Remove water pump pulley:

If you didn't drop any of the last 6 bolts into an intake port, now would be a good time to cut a piece of cardboard and tape it in place so you don't:

For the sake of clarity I am posting somewhat out of order i actually disassembled it, as long as it doesn't make a difference. So you might have noticed the ps reservoir and pulley had already been removed by the time of that last picture. If you did, Waldo points for you.

Remove the ps / ac belt:

Remove the ps reservoir, but do not connect the ps lines to it:

Remove the ps pulley:

Remove the ps / ac belt tensioner (you don't remove the alt / wp belt tensioner):

While we are working on the ps, to free the front (timing chain) cover from the ps bracket, you need only remove one bolt, and loosen the second one:

It took some doing to locate that rear/ bottom bolt, and finally did so with a short double-headed 1/4"x3/8" drive ratchet and my ubiquitous impact (ball and socket) u-joint (I have one in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sizes). For clearance, I used the 1/4" ujoint, a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor, and a 3/8" 15mm (I think) socket.

It helped to disconnect the oil pressure sensor:

Now do the other side - remove the alt bracket. There is no need to and you should not disconnect the alternator electrical connections, nor remove the alternator from the bracket. Nor do you remove the tensioner from the bracket.

Just remove the clip on the bracket that holds the water pipe close, and remove the bracket bolts. Get at the rear one from below the alternator. AND DON'T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST:

Ikera likes this.

Now remove the ECM bracket (actually, I may have done this before the alternator, but shouldn't be a biggie). To assure the intergrity of the ECM connectors, and the ECM's ground to the bracket, we are removing the bracket and displacing it. Do not remove the ECM connectors or the ECM from the bracket. The rearmost bolt, on the side, has a clip in front of it that also has a 10mm head bolt. Don't confuse the two, but it might make it easier to remove the clip bolt first.

Clip bolt:

Now the cam covers and coils. Disconnect the coils and carefully pry back the harness retainer:

Coil connector locked:

Coil connector unlocked:

Don't forget the rear bolt:

You can remove the cover with the coils just loosened, or take the coils out entirely. I suggest numbering them with a silver sharpie first.

The right side harness protector has these clips that slide off:

Now the spark plugs.

Go to 'Vatozone and get a deep spark plug wrench like this one:

Plugs have 161K on them, probably running too rich and varnished engine. New one for comparison:

Now time to remove the front cover.

First, the harmonic balancer has to come off. My impact was powerful enough to take the bolt off. There is a flywheel lock that requires removal of the starter, but I didn't need it. The harmonic balancer puller is just your standard 'Zone issue free rental. Use a 1/2" drive socket as a spacer:

To get the cam covers off, you should have pulled the connectors for the cam position sensors and phaser solenoids, but do it now if you haven't:

You can pull the front cover with the phasers attached, as I did, but you probably ought to mark them and pull them anyway. Here is what the cover looks like:

There are 22 bolts that have to come out, and I was too lazy to look at each one and try to remember where it went. So I printed out the tightening diagram from the manual on two pages and taped them to a box:

Then, removing them in order, I punched them into the box as they came out (a knife helps punch the hole):

Be careful - the bolts have rubber insulators on them:

Once you get them all out, there is a jacking hole and pry points. Be patient when prying. And you will get more coolant out of the back of the water pump, where the cover mates to the block. You do not need to remove the water pump.

Here is what the cover looks like off (not mine, but you get the picture):

Ikera likes this.

OK, here's the fun part - you need to turn the crank so that the cam timing marks are somewhere near the 12:00 position. That's right - no need to line up all the marks, they are only for installation. (And there's no way you could anyway, since they go out of position the minute you start the engine).

Here are the marks you are looking for - the EX for exhaust cam, IN for intake, with a triangle for the right side, a circle for the left:

The crank gear will have the dot around 9:00 pm and the slot for the pin / keyway at around 3:00 pm:

Secure the cams with the special retaining tools (which are crazy pricey unless you find them on eBay), or have a buddy with two 20mm wrenches (yeah, right, you know you are going to hand him a couple of Crescents) hold the cams on the flats provided just forward of the forward cam lobes:

This prevents the cams from popping from spring pressure when you remove the chains.

Remove the tensioner bolts and tensioners, the tensioner shoe bolts and shoes, the guides, the chains, and the gears. The factory manual says the primary guide on the oil pump is not replaceable, but I got one from a dealer for around 10 bucks.

I had never heard a noise like mine was making, and not being familiar with the engine otherwise, I suspected but was not certain that the noise was from the chain, especially before the cold start rattle started. Other candidates were bearing noise from the water pump, tensioners or the fan bracket assembly. As I disassembled the engine, I checked all of these, and they were smooth and quiet. So what about the chain components?

Well, there's your problem:

And the timing chain was "stretched" and worn on the outside (new chain on left for comparison):

Now time to clean up this mess:

Finished product:

jcobz28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Really nice job on the write-up. You have a lot of patience! When I recently completed my timing chain job, the one thing that really threw me for a loop when putting it back together was a "missing" idler pulley. I spent 2 hrs looking for it before I decided that it never existed and I never took it off which is why I couldn't find it. Here is what is confusing to me. In the GM manual, some of the diagrams show this idler existing, yet others don't show it. In the LY7 image you posted earlier in the thread, it does show the idler.

LY7_idlerdiagram.jpg

Yet in your step-by-step photos, you never mention removing this idler, and in one of your photos (as follows) it appears that the idler does not exist on your motor either.

idler_missing.jpg

On my 2005 SRX, the belt just goes straight from the AC compressor to the crankshaft balancer. The belt that is on my car is SOOO tight as it is, there is no way that it could be routed up and above another idler pulley. This was another reason I came to the conclusion that my motor must not have had the idler pulley on it before I started.

So, I guess I'm posting this to get your take on the issue. Am I missing something? Or did your car not have this idler pulley on it to start with as well? And if so, then what's the deal with GM offering multiple versions of this motor, some with and some without the pulley? If yours DID have the pulley, then that means at some point before I purchased my car, someone took that pulley off and put on a shorter belt for who knows what reason.... and that I drove it that way for at least 60k miles with no noticeable consequences...

Looking forward to what you report back...

tormented is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 RW

The idler pulley was dropped sometime in the middle of the 2004 model year production . I checked with the Cadillac parts counter,as my 04 doesn't have one, idler is not even available anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.