V6 timing chain survey - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, V6 timing chain survey in Cadillac SRX Forums; - Build year? 2007, V6 AWD, currently with 59,600 miles on it - Mileage (or state km) when issue occurred? ...
    07SRXOwner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX V6 AWD Sport Package

Re: V6 timing chain survey

- Build year? 2007, V6 AWD, currently with 59,600 miles on it
    - Mileage (or state km) when issue occurred? 54,200 miles
    - Are you the original owner? No, purchased CPO Nov 08 with 23,200 miles
    - Were oil changes made at scheduled intervals? Since I have owned it, done at 50% on the OLM
    - Was Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 used? Always
    - Is the vehicle used mostly in city or hwy driving? 60% local 40% highway
    - On a scale from (no) 0-10 (yes!) how aggressive are you when it comes to driving? 6
    - Was excessive oil use noticed? Uses 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil between changes

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Thanks to the fast feedback provided by Cadillac Forum users, I have formulated a draft cause and effect scenario on the timing chain issue. It fits pretty well every case and also explains that since oil leaks will not occur on many vehicles, the timing chain issue does not start. As far as I can tell, the engine absolutely MUST HAVE THE CORRECT OIL LEVEL. I have attached my analysis. Feel free to comment / criticize. I am interested in hearing whether you consider this plausible or not. Thanks again to all those who provided information - you guys made it possible!!!
    Attached Images

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Summary:
    - most failures happen early on (<50,000 miles) and are reported on 2007-2009 series vehicles
    - most owners report frequent oil changes with Mobile 1 5W30. Use of incorrect oil is not a cause.
    - failures happen on vehicles that see at least some highway use and are unlikely to occur in city driving only
    - failures are not due to aggressive driving
    - all cases appear to be preceded by loss of oil

Please see the attachment in the previous post to view my cause and effect analysis.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

08.........good stuff, wish more would respond.

I can't fathom there being "bad" timing chains from the factory, followed by 2 subsequent iterations of timing chains which also were bad. I think the timing chain issue is oil-circulation-related, but my suspicion is that it due to inadequate oil supply specifically to the chains, even when the oil is always kept fresh and the oil level is always kept up to snuff.

PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.