Rear quarter window replacement questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Rear quarter window replacement questions in Cadillac SRX Forums; Help! My son banged his head on my left rear quarter window and shattered it. I am looking on EBAY ...
    Dakaty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Rear quarter window replacement questions

Help!

My son banged his head on my left rear quarter window and shattered it. I am looking on EBAY for a replacement and have found several that supposedly fit all the gen 1 models for less than $150 shipped.

Mine has the electric defrosting wires built into it. Are these standard in all SRX models or is it part of a package upgrade?

Has anyone changed this window out? Removing my old one will be easy as it is in a million pieces. I'm getting the impression that the window is basically "glued" in place with a strong adhesive kit.

Thanks

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Rear quarter window replacement questions

I have found several replacement windows that state they will fit SRXs with the "EVEC opt U2S"

Does anyone know what this option is?

Thanks

sgilbert is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

The rear quarter panel glass have antennas in them; 1 FM, 1 AM; No defrost. As far as I know, all replacements will have them.

I ordered the window on EBAY for $120 including shipping. I removed all the broken glass (PITA). I didn't do a real good job of cutting the rubber "gasket" that is stuck on the car. I had to use a razor knife and cut the broken glass off of the gasket. It has several uneven, gouged areas. I guess I can just fill those low and damaged areas with extra urethane sealant. I made a fitted patch and taped it in the opening to provide weather protection untill the replacement glass comes in. Does anyone have a recommendation for the type of adhesive to use? I might see if I can get one of the "mobile windshield installers" to set it in for me. That seems like the easiest, but most important part of this procedure.

sgilbert is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

"I might see if I can get one of the "mobile windshield installers" to set it in for me. That seems like the easiest, but most important part of this procedure."

If you're willing to go that route, why oh why didn't you call them to begin with?

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Dakaty........hope your son was not injured. I have to admit, he has done something I have not heard of before on this forum. Your best bet is to get the window professionally installed.

First, it is a safety thing I wouldn't want to be messing with unless I was very familiar with the proper, secure installation. With the windows open at highway speeds the outward pressure on the glass would be significant. Add in an open UltraView roof which you may or may not have and the cabin air pressure would double.

Any gaps, however minute, may cause constant air noise and/or water leaks that might go unseen until you smell it. Read up on this forum where water leaks travel, like rear water leaks around the hatch. The water winds up in the jack storage well and is not discovered until you go to use your jack or are curious about the smell. Then you find the jack is a rusted piece of inoperable metal.

Replacement window companies can do a credible job right in your driveway but may require you leave the SRX at their shop so that they can control the ambient temperature during installation. I had to do that once with another vehicle......they said it had to do with getting the correct seal with the sealants.

PJ

SG - I decided not to file an insurance claim as I would feel a little guilty since my son did it on purpose. Also I have my third teenager just starting to drive, so I may have some real big claims coming up!! LOL. I figured I could get out cheaper by DIY and I enjoy working on stuff like this. I'm just contemplating my options. As with most of my projects, after I finish this one, I'll know how to do it.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaty View Post
    SG - I decided not to file an insurance claim as I would feel a little guilty since my son did it on purpose. Also I have my third teenager just starting to drive, so I may have some real big claims coming up!! LOL. I figured I could get out cheaper by DIY and I enjoy working on stuff like this. I'm just contemplating my options. As with most of my projects, after I finish this one, I'll know how to do it.
    Insurance coverage doesn't help you here since your deductible would first have to be satisfied on this one. So the entire expense or most of it comes out of your own pocket anyway.

PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.