Cadillac and Consumer Reports 2012 Buying Guide... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Cadillac and Consumer Reports 2012 Buying Guide... in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by PJ1520 "The initial build quality and long term reliabilty of American iron does not yet stack up ...
    08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: Cadillac and Consumer Reports 2012 Buying Guide...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    "The initial build quality and long term reliabilty of American iron does not yet stack up to the foreign competition, though the gap has been closed."
    You make a fair number of good points, however, the quote you cite above is dated and certainly not valid today. Toyota is having obvious issues with unintended acceleration, mileage problems etc, while Honda is cited for transmission failures and engine problems. See www.carcomplaints.com most troublesome vehicles and there are not a lot of GM vehicles in the top 20.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

exactly why you need to have surveys that are not self selecting ... the CR surveys are self selecting - the CR members choose to reply (and choose to define 'serious problems')

basically what we're boiling down this reliability issue down to is that it's almost impossible to tell the true reliability and compare

taking "reliability is a crapshoot" as a working hypothesis what would the other purchasing factors be that are truly objectively comparable?

a) how much you like the car (design, features, etc)
    b) dealership service treatment
    c) ... what else ??
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Whose automotive reliability surveys are not self-selecting (voluntary, optional, tapping a publication's subscriber base.)?

PJ

JD Power's CSI ratings are not self selecting ... they select you
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    JD Power's CSI ratings are not self selecting ... they select you
    Yes. But when JD selects you and I (however they do their selection), you and I either accept to do the survey or decline. Then they compile the results based on their respondents.

How is that different from CR selecting their entire subscriber base and sending out the survey to everyone. You and I get the survey and either fill it out and return it, or we decline by throwing it away. CR then compiles the results based on their respondents.

So why is JD the better choice? It would seem JD's selection process is less random.

PJ

Stillrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX AWD V-6

I read CU's rag every month to see how badly I have screwed up in my latest purchases.
    I bought my first new automobile in 1961 and it was a Pontiac Catalina two door sedan. I have no idea how they felt about this care of even if they were in publication at that time, but given it's three speed transmission and the fact that it didn't have power steering or Power brakes nor air conditioning, I'm sure it wouldn't have met with their approval.
    This was the first of many GM cars that I bought new and each lasted for more than 120 thousand miles with only a few major repairs and NONE of them were EVER on their "approved" list.
    The only ones that fail my mileage expectations were the '96 Riviera and the Trailblazer SS, each with less than 70,000 miles which were lost in flood waters this past March.
    It seems that ALL my purchases for other items have failed to pass muster, as well.
    The prime problem I have with their vehicle information is they NEVER give specifics when indicating major power train issues rather than to just lump them all in a "major" category.
    Had they been specific, I would have avoided the 3.6 liter V6 which thus far has "proven to me" it is in no way a good replacement for the 3.8 liter V6 which had it's beginnings in small GM cars all the way back in 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillrollin View Post
    I read CU's rag every month to see how badly I have screwed up in my latest purchases........

..........The prime problem I have with their vehicle information is they NEVER give specifics when indicating major power train issues rather than to just lump them all in a "major" category.

Had they been specific, I would have avoided the 3.6 liter V6 which thus far has "proven to me" it is in no way a good replacement for the 3.8 liter V6 which had it's beginnings in small GM cars all the way back in 1960.
    Agree, not enough detail. You don't even know which engine fuels the dissatisfaction. As soon as I saw all of the below average reliability categories in CR (the infamous black circles) on the GenI SRX, including the engine, I felt compelled to check out what the forums had to say, first Edmunds and then this one. Yes, I read all of the current and older threads on the two SRX motors. That convinced me that going with the V8 N* horsepower, my first instinct and desire, was justifiable despite the fuel mileage. Wife agreed, and she was enamored with the scoot because she was driving an Infinity G35 coupe which had been preceded by a mini-N*-powered GenI Olds Aurora with the Autobahn package which I was driving and we were going to trade on the CPO SRX. That was about the only thing we agreed upon that entire year, 2009.

PJ

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I remember seeing an Edmunds report based on side-by-side road test comparison that SRX Gen1 could not be touched by its competition which included BMW X5. It was THE best road trip vehicle.

Incidently, as soon as a domestic vehicle has a minor issue the CR rating goes down, the vehicle is below average reliability, blah, blah blah. You could not have a more serious issue than Toyota's unintended acceleration, then covered up by the company, then no one able to explain why it happens. You would think it would cause CR to put all black circles and mark Toyota safety record is below average, BUT read the latest CR and there is not a blemish on the impeccable, omnipotent vehicles from Japan. The conclusion I draw is that CR is the one with a below average reliability.

Latest news: 550,000 Lexus and Toyotas recalled for possible steering failures - it won't affect CR's horrendous bias one iota!

irate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 srx awd v8

Keep marking GM and Cadillac down so depreciation goes up and I can get a deal on a used one!

i

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Irate.... could you please devalue the stocks I plan on buying!

I am really really bad - - I didn't review anything when I bought my SRX... I loved how it looked... I test drove it, and loved how it handled, and the price was right.. I ask the Service Writer if they were getting a lot of service calls, and he said "No More then Normal"... (I guess I should have had "Normal" defined!).

I did hit Edmunds, KBB and NADA to see if the dealer price was fair - but that was it.

It is probably a good thing for GM, that there are a LOT of people like me that don't go by what the reviewers state.

I don't care sometimes what the critics say - - the critics loved Gandi.. I thought the movie sucked!

Such is life.

Well, PROF, you say that before you bought you read too little..... and I KNOW I read way too much. We still bought the same vehicle.

PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.