Ignition Switch / Key Won't Come Out
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Ignition Switch / Key Won't Come Out in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    yyousef is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Ignition Switch / Key Won't Come Out

1. Ignition Switch / Key Won't Come Out
    I am having a serious problem with my SRX 2004 and the local Cadillac dealer said they have never heard of such a thing, then they told me maybe the problem is transmission – need repair and well charge me 2000 $ .
    so I am hoping someone can help , after inserting my key into the ignition, the key would turn, but the engine would not turnover at all, the key would become stuck in the ignition and would not come out. After waiting awhile, sometimes as few as 5 minutes, sometimes as long as 30 minutes, the key would then turn, car would start and key could be removed after turning the engine off. While the key was stuck and turning, the doors would lock, the power inside the car ( like radio, A/C and windows) would work, but nothing would happen with regard to starting the car or removing the key. On those occasions where it took more than an hour, the key in the ignition would drain the battery at times completely, even though all lights, radio, etc. were turned off. Up to this point I have always been able to get the key out, but this weekend the car would never start and the battery became completely drained. The battery was replaced about a year ago, so I know that isn't the problem and the voltage reading is always high on the display system. But the local delar replace the battery new one .
    Has anyone ever experienced this / have any suggestions? Like I said the dealer has no idea, and to service it they flat out told me they would be guessing and just trying things they thought might solve the problem but couldn't guarantee a fix. I am desparate, as I now have now experienced .Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Re: Ignition Switch / Key Won't Come Out

Sounds like the security system/immobilizer has been tripped. I'm no expert, so anyone else? Do you have an option of going to a different Cadillac dealership for an assessment?

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

Plus, check owners manual for how to get stuck key out. More info please, does the yellow security icon on dash come on? It can be turned off by unlocking drivers door w/ fob or key. Are you using a replacement key? This is maddening, but solvable, right?

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

My similar issue was caused by a bent key. Dealership straightened the key, and no more problems.

So check for any slight bending of your key.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Has your concern been resolved? Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I would be happy to look into this as well with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

geospi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SRX 07, Eldorado 93

low battery voltage will capture key, I had same problem with no start dead battery (also 1 year old) charging battery got me going, but do not know what caused dead battery as yet. will post if discover root cause.

Geospi,
    Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you find out is the root cause to this issue. If you would like you can send me your name and VIN number and I can exhaust my resources to see if I can provide any additional information.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Geospi,
    Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you find out is the root cause to this issue. If you would like you can send me your name and VIN number and I can exhaust my resources to see if I can provide any additional information.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

jroseo82695 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 srx

I just bought a 2004 srx im having the same key issue key gos in car starts no problem ....but key wont come out when i shut the car off....any help would be great thanks

glake89 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

jr, there are several threads and many posts on this phenomena and several causes and solutions. Do a 'search this forum' and spend some time. You'll find the answer.
    __________________________________________________ ________________

This site is too much fun to not be a supporter
    Been fixin' cars for 71 years
    Some of what I know comes from experience, some from reading or listening,-most of it, I just make up

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Quote Originally Posted by glake89 View Post
    jr, there are several threads and many posts on this phenomena and several causes and solutions. Do a 'search this forum' and spend some time. You'll find the answer.
    Several threads is putting it mildly.

royan97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX - V8

Will you car start? Mine was cause by the cable from transmission to key got shorted so even the car is already on park, it does not know it and will not release the key. Also my car will not start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.