I am so done with this 2005 SRX......
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, I am so done with this 2005 SRX...... in Cadillac SRX Forums; Replaced the HID Headlight a month ago because condensation somehow got inside the area and shorted out the HID, Replaced ...
    tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

I am so done with this 2005 SRX......

Replaced the HID Headlight a month ago because condensation somehow got inside the area and shorted out the HID, Replaced it with one I bought on ebay for $250 and worked perfect for over 3 weeks and then this last weekend the replacement now has condensation in it and the headlight will only turn on when it dries out. I cant find any cracks or anything as to where the moisture is coming in from.

During the same 600 mile drive over the past weekend and I have a loud whining noise coming from the rear differential. How long do I have after the whining before the differential goes out on me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: I am so done with this 2005 SRX......

Hang in there, tomm. Things are bound to go South with a 7 model year old vehicle, due to age, miles. or both. Think of the depreciation expense on a new vehicle, not to mention the financing expense! Then these things you are repairing won't seem nearly so bad. How many miles do you have on your SRX?

PJ

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Hang in there, tomm. Things are bound to go South with a 7 model year old vehicle, due to age, miles. or both. Think of the depreciation expense on a new vehicle, not to mention the financing expense! Then these things you are repairing won't seem nearly so bad. How many miles do you have on your SRX?

PJ
    88k miles... Would not be too bad if I didn't just spend $1000+ on a timing belt a few months back and then replace 2 coils two weeks later. The headlight 2 months later and now I need another headlight and the rear differential. Also besides the whining which is getting louder fairly quickly the start shudders and tries to stall when going uphill if the gas tank is less then 1/2 tank so I guess fuel filter or pump is going as well.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Timing belt?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

tomm.......V6 or V8? Either way, you don't have a timing belt in your SRX.

Even if you use/pay a trusted private mechanic for all of your work, you are so many dollars ahead of the game "investing in your SRX. Even your auto insurance is far lower.

I buy pre-owned. My SRX was barely 3 model years old when I bought it CPO with a warranty extension and with 26K miles on the odometer.....for roughly 45% the sticker cost of a comparable new one. With the difference, I can pay for a boatload of repairs once the car is off the extended warranty, which I intend to do.

My take, you are still light years ahead of the game financially fixing what you have, even with the differential problem, if that is what is making the whining sound. Is it a whining sound or a humming sound? If the latter, you could have failing rear bearings, a simple and less costly fix.

With the uphill engine hesitation issue, you may want to have a mechanic check that out and see if the engine is throwing any codes. You only replaced two of the coils and have 88K on the plugs. Otherwise, a fuel pump/fuel filter swap is short money, though I don't think that is what the problem is.

PJ

diff will make noise when you're on the gas and get quiet (or less loud) when you let off the gas

wheel bearing will always make noise linearly w/ speed
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    diff will make noise when you're on the gas and get quiet (or less loud) when you let off the gas

wheel bearing will always make noise linearly w/ speed
    V6 AWD and Yes, I meant timing chain not belt was changed. It's definately a whine that gets louder the faster you go and lowers as you go slower. It is not dependent of giving gas, The noise changes even in neutral. When going uphill the engine literally tries to stall and the check engine blinks fast but no code gets stored. If its a full tank of gas it does not happen which is why I think its fuel filter or fuel pump related. Is the fuel pump inside the gas tank on the SRX?

i bet you've got a failing coil or two ... the blinking SES light is signaling a misfire ... the misfire is no longer current so the code goes to history and possibly clears

it's also possible that the PCM is causing this

how are you pulling your codes?

wrupert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX N* AWD, 2009 SRX N* AWD, 1986 Buick Grand National

You can get an Extended Warranty for your car thru Chrylser for about 2500 dollars 4 years unlimited milage with a 100 deduct. WELL worth it if you own these cars as they can be expensive as you know to repair. These cars are awsome. I will be looking for a 2009 in 4 years when my warranty expires. Do not like 2010 models.

i bet you've got a failing coil or two ... the blinking SES light is signaling a misfire ... the misfire is no longer current so the code goes to history and possibly clears

it's also possible that the PCM is causing this

how are you pulling your codes?
    I am using a portable code scanner. It does have an option to connect via USB to a laptop to give live status so maybe I should attempt that. Before I replaced the two coils it would misfire and you could almost hear a pop from the exhaust when it did. and check engine light would stay on and it reported misfires on both coils 1 & 2 - I replaced both of them and I have not had a solid check engine light since.

What is strange with the new issues is that it only happens when going uphill and more so when the fuel is running low which made me have a feeling it was fuel related. It the fuel gets interrupted it could also essentially cause a misfire wouldn't it?

i missed that you already replaced coils... did you replace plugs also?

i'm kind of disinclined to look at the fuel system (unless you've got low pressure... have you tested that yet?)

i missed that you already replaced coils... did you replace plugs also?

i'm kind of disinclined to look at the fuel system (unless you've got low pressure... have you tested that yet?)
    No, I guess in the hindsight I should have changed the plugs as well but I didn't feel like changing all 6 so I did not change the two.. It was a pain to get to those coils and I was just glad when I was able to change the two of them. As for the fuel I have not checked for low pressure. Any instructions on how to do that?

Yeah we always change the plug when doing a coil (no need to do the others, just the ones the coils are over... misfires usually foul the plugs)

i would think bad plugs are probably causing the problem

fuel pressure is checked with a fuel pressure gauge on a port/valve on the fuel rail usually (not exactly sure of the location of the port on this engine)

Just bought another HID assembly on ebay to replace the one with condensation in it. Took the headlight out to see if I can fix it and dry it out but the ballast was filled with water and rust already started growing so trying to fix the lens is useless at this point so I bought a replacement.

Will change out the plugs and see if that helps. What about the rear differential? Any idea how long I can go with it whining? What will happen when it goes with it seize or just stop gripping? Its my wife's car so I don't want to have it lock up on her or something like that while she is driving with the kids in the car.

Any idea for costs of replacing before I end up at the dealer? Thanks for all your help.

as far as I know about the diffs it just gets louder and louder

we have a parts van ('95 astro) that has had a loud diff for a long long time ... it won't blow up on you but you might get sick and tired of the noise
    (as long as the fluid level is correct ... and that's as far as I know ... i could be wrong)

M82 diffs are the most expensive ($2000 list)

others are $900-$1300 (list) depending on the exact options ... there's almost 10 different srx diffs!
    (pm me your VIN and i'll check the exact one and get a discount price for you)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.