2006 SRX V8 AWD now with Volant CAI
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, 2006 SRX V8 AWD now with Volant CAI in Cadillac SRX Forums; I ordered my Volant CAI kit (#15946C) from LM Performance last week and it showed up today. I ran a ...
    Tony Parrott is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX AWD V8

2006 SRX V8 AWD now with Volant CAI

I ordered my Volant CAI kit (#15946C) from LM Performance last week and it showed up today. I ran a search online and found them to be the lowest BY FAR. I paid $256.45 with free shipping. The installation was relatively simple but, it got a little complicated when I tried to fit the silicone boots onto the throttle body and mass air sensor. It's a tight fit and nothing that 15 minutes can't handle. The only modification I made was to put a rubber spacer behind the stock bolts that hold the box down and I lowered the drivers side light wiring harness to allow an easier fit. The interior of this air box is giant compared to the stock air box.

I checked it over for leaks, scanned for loose tools and stepped inside to turn the key. Wow! It sounds really nice. After the new sound wears off, hopefully I will back out of the throttle and get a mile or two per gallon. I will keep you posted.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2006 SRX V8 AWD now with Volant CAI

A couple more pics....

As you can see, I used a thick piece of rubber as a washer for the stock bolts. Nothing hi-tech here.
    Attached Images

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

It looks tight, but certainly neat and professional. How does the sound change? What surprised you the most about the Volant?

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    It looks tight, but certainly neat and professional. How does the sound change? What surprised you the most about the Volant?
    How does the sound change?

At idle- you probably won't hear anything different. At slow acceleration- you will hear a slight difference. At moderate acceleration- you WILL MOST DEFINITELY hear a difference. It sounds a lot throatier and seems to accelerate much faster. From my butt dyno, it sounds great and feels much more powerful.

What surprised me most about the Volant?

I read a lot about it before buying it so I wasn't really surprised much. I had a little "monkey doing a math problem" moment when I was trying to slip on the silicone boots but, I figured it out pretty quick. I was surprised that I could find it for $256 with free shipping. Honestly, I was most surprised at how it actually does sound much better and everyone was right. Fuel economy so far looks promising. Not sure if I will get the 2 mpg gain but, anything is a plus. I check these numbers religiously at every fill up and constantly during all my trips. I've always done it and it drives my wife a little nuts. ha!

Btw, I read a short review last night at autoanything.com for the Volant CAI and it was written by a Timothy K (2008 SRX) in Maineville, Ohio. That's a couple miles away from me and I think I actually passed the guy getting on the on-ramp this morning. It's a small world and somebody out there has some good taste in autos.

robhersch is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours

We agree the Volant provides ~ 4 times the air filter area than OEM, and it does seem to help the performance & mileage a bit.
    We had a Volant CAI on our 2005 N*V8 RWD from 2005 to 2009 and liked it very much, but we had to return to the OEM system when the CA smog test would not approve the Volant on the SRX (they just raised the hood and said they would not test and would reject without running the test although they did approve on some vehicles but not the SRX).
    We may switch back at some point.

Oldman Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 SRX

Tony, I grew up in Maineville. Now I live over near Tri-County mall. I've been on the forums for a while. But never found anyone on the Deville or CTS groups that lived anywhere close. I guess getting the SRX was a good choice.
    P.S. I'd like to get the Volant too. I looks clean and $256 is cheap.

06onyx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

On a related note, the Volant intake WILL fit an '09 as well. It requires a bit of patience, adjusting, and about 3" of rubber line to extend the vent line slightly to allow it to attach to the supplied intake air tube. As an alternative, the factory tube can be connected to the Volant box with a bit of compressing. The box installation was a bit fidly and I also installed the rubber grommets under the mounting tabs. I also trimmed the black matting that surrounds the radiator to allow for a clear path from the grill to the intake port on the Volant box. You can now see the supplied cone filter by looking into the grill. Ram Air!

I ran nearly identical trips of about 600 miles in nearly identical weather on back to back weekends and gained 1.5mpg!

orandaberg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hi
    I just posted a request on another thread if anyone knew if these fit SRX, now I know, I will look to put one on my 07 SRX,since I am here I can ask if anyone has put on performance exhaust on the SRX?
    Thanks

Meatstick62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX 3.6 AWD

Another Maineville SRX owner here! I was thinking about ordering a Volant for our LY7 SRX. Though once my wife sees what it cost me to do the timing chain job she might not like that. Maybe I can try the better fuel mileage approach...

mwswarrior is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

I'd be installing one if I wasn't still under warranty. While I may be able to fight it if something happened, just not sure the potential hassle is worth it.

Hi
    I went to the Volant web page and see no kit for the SRX only the filter, they have kits for the Escalade. Do you have a part number? I also wrote to Volant, but if its anything like when I wrote Volant for my 300C, I do not expect an answer. Aslo I have found only Corsa as the only resonators for SRX, Gibson and Dynomax said they have nothing for the SRX. Any comments?
    Thanks

mwswarrior is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

For some reason they are not coming up on the Volant and Gibson sites. They may have discontinued them. But they are still out there.

Volant:
    V8 15946C
    V6 15736C

Gibson:
    V6 Stainless 615620
    V6 Aluminumized 315620

Hope that helps. They can be found on Ebay.

CoolATIGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac SRX V8 Northstar AWD w/ 18" wheels

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.