GM Dealer put Krex in with my oil change - opinion?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, GM Dealer put Krex in with my oil change - opinion? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Bought an 08 SRX with N* engine in July of 2010. Car has been fine. Just had my first oil ...
    Southbank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

GM Dealer put Krex in with my oil change - opinion?

Bought an 08 SRX with N* engine in July of 2010. Car has been fine.

Just had my first oil change at 42,000 miles and while looking at the bill I found where my GM dealer included "KREX ADDI 8.800". Google give me the run down on "Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant".

My take is that this is a gimmick (it's listed as a customer retention product).

My question is: Is it harmful to my car in any way?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

Re: GM Dealer put Krex in with my oil change - opinion?

Unless recommended as part of your vehicle service schedule GM doesn't recommend additives..... however it's curious how Krex seems to advertise it's not an additive but a lubricant. If it's a lubricant I would ask the dealer if it meets GM specs for your vehicle. There's more "official" info in the link provided by glake89. Enter your vehicle info and search on "additive" ( http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/home.do
    I have no info that would suggest the stuff is harmful or for that matter, beneficial.
    Were you charged for it? If so, maybe next time you specifically ask not to include it in your oil change.
    mjcaddy and mjcaddy like this.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

The owners manual specifically states: “Do not add anything to the oil. The recommended oils with the starburst symbol that meet GM standards are all you need for good performance and engine protection”

The fact that this GM dealer chose to go against the GM recommendations and add this product and do it without your knowledge and consent is alarming. It is also a violation of consumer protection laws in many states. It brings into question the integrity of the dealership and whether they can be trusted to perform proper service work at all. One can only hope they used a 5w30 oil meeting the G4718m spec that is required by GM.

Bill
    sgilbert and sgilbert like this.

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Try calling GM Customer Service and ask them.... or... go to another dealership, show your bill, and ask them.

KrexInc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Southbank & All;

Thank you for your inquiry in regard to Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant. We believe that all vehicle owners and drivers should be fully informed about their vehicles. So, I am providing you with some additional information.

First of all, congratulations on your new vehicle purchase - very exciting!

As for the product, most importantly, IT WILL NOT HARM YOU ENGINE IN ANY WAY. Cadillac dealers have been installing this product during scheduled maintenance services for over 60 years. As you discovered on the Krex website (http://www.krexinc.com/preventative-...ine-lubricant/), Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant is not an additive. This is not a gimmick. What this means is that it does not change the chemical composition of Dexos (the motor oil now recommended by GM) or any other standard, semi-synthetic, or fully synthetic oil. What it will do is protect an engine - even during extreme heat and at start-up:

Extreme Heat: Today's engines still run hot. GM's bulletin (and most other manufacturer's bulletins) indicate that it is normal to burn up to 1 qt. of oil every 1,000 miles. This is why owners manuals still tell owners to check fluid levels every month. (A very good suggestions that is rarely followed by consumers.) The very best synthetic oil burns at 500 degrees. So, if you have ever found your vehicle low a quart on oil, your engine got hot - exceeding 500 degrees. (Any technician / mechanic will tell you that even with improvements to engines, they still see cars every day low on oil.) Engine wear occurs when engines get hot, subsequently causing decreased compression, decreased fuel economy, engine knock, etc. Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant continues to coat and protect vital engine components at these high temperatures. (Graphite can withstand temperatures up to 5000 degrees.) This prevents premature engine wear and helps your vehicle remain at peak operating performance.

Start Up: Engine oil sinks with gravity when an engine is turned off. Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant is colloidally suspended (a fancy way of saying that it coats all internal metal components of an engine). Thus, gravity does not impact Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant. What this means for the engine is that metal on metal contact never occurs at start up. In addition, the micron size of graphite enables it to protect an engine even in crevices that motor oil does not easily reach. As with any motor, start-up is typically the most stressful time for an engine. Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant reduces this stress, prolonging engine life.

In addition to the inherent benefits of Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant, it also provides added peace of mind. If the previous owner of your SRX serviced it at the dealer, the vehicle may qualify for the fully transferrable 10 year / 200,000 Mile Limited Engine Lubricantion warranty providing $5000 of protection. If not, you still qualify for $2000 of protection. Please visit: http://www.krexinc.com/wp-content/up...yCard-2010.pdf for full details.

As the other posters suggest, I also recommend that you contact your local dealer to find out why they include Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant with routine maintenance services. As indcated by SFVetteman, GM does not require Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant. Yet, Cadillac dealers nationwide provide this value-added product as part of their routine maintenances because they fully believe in the value that it provides to their customers and their cars.

Thanks again for your inquiry about Krex Graphite Engine Lubricant. If I can answer any additional questions or concerns, please contact me at contact_us@krexinc.com or twitter @krexinc.

Best Regards,
    Aimee Head,
    Director of Marketing,
    Krex, Inc.

It is an ancient product born in an age when most engines used nondetergent motor oil and multigrade oil was in its infancy and not thought of very well. At that time even the US Air Force used it as a lubricant in aircraft.

However, the use of graphite is limited by its tendency to facilitate pitting corrosion in some stainless steel, and to promote galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals (due to its electrical conductivity). It is also corrosive to aluminum in the presence of moisture. For this reason, the US Air Force banned its use as a lubricant in aluminum aircraft, and discouraged its use in aluminum-containing automatic weapons. Even graphite pencil marks on aluminum parts may facilitate corrosion.

In case you didn’t know, unlike 60 year ago, most engines nowdays are made of aluminum and that includes Cadillac engines.

Bill

Professor Wizard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite

Oh boy Bill.... now that is going to make southbank at ease!

I say, don't do much - - but keep that paperwork!!!! If anything goes wrong with your engine down the road - especially after the warenty is out - you have something you use to build a case for a free engine.

And Aimee.... is there any way you could get Cadillac to JUMP in on a conversation as quickly as you did, any time we question something Cadillac does? (Note KrexInc Join date of 09-06-11... now THAT is the POWER of the internet... So don't think for a second, the things we say in here don't make it outside of these threads - - Unfortunately, it is usually the wrong people from the outside who respond!)

Southbank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Thanks, Aimee.

So this product is GM certified?

Best, Marshall Thompson
    "Southbank"

Quote Originally Posted by Southbank View Post
    Thanks, Aimee.

So this product is GM certified?

Best, Marshall Thompson
    "Southbank"
    Marshall it appears their product is available from Amazon. There is a photo of the bottle however it's only the front so can't attest to what's on the back. There's no reference to any approvals or certifications. There is one positive report on the product. You may be interested in it's author.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's all beside the point... contact GM Customer Care and see what they have to say - they're the ones that will be deciding on warranty repairs
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Chris my reply was to Southbank's question was the product GM certified. The relevance is I have never seen a lubricant that meets a GM spec not be labeled as such. Be it power steering fluid, transmission fluid or engine oil. If the Amazon photo is representative of the actual product, I see no reference to any spec or approval. However a reply from Ms Head could easily answer his question.
    Again I make no judgement as to the customer benefits of using the product.
    Does your dealership include it with an oil change?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ok, so it's not totally beside the point

and i agree with your thinking here

and no, we don't add anything

but my point was that the real heart of the matter lies between the OP and GM corporate at this point
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I think the statement in the owners manual says it all but if someone needs explicit confirmation from GM then, by all means, contact customer service.

The day in the sun for graphite has come and gone in most applications and replaced by molybdenum disulfide. It is used in ski wax, to coatings for bullets and a variety of oils and greases for cars, motorcycles and aircraft as well as many more uses. Another product that has similar use is tungsten disulfide.

Motor oil is a complex package today and with some motor oils up to 20% of the oil is the additive package. The very best synthetic oils like those made from PE Polyol Ester base stocks are inherently a multigrade oil i.e., an oil born as a 30wt is inherently a 10w30 and requires no viscosity index improver additive.

To grasp how far motor oil has come in the last 60 years look at the viscosity index scale (a measure of oil stability). Originally it went for 0 for the worst to 100 for the best. Now any synthetic oil is over 100 and some are very close to 200. Other ways of judging oil show similar improvements.

Bottom line is that motor oil is a very competitive business and any additive that will help oil be better will be quickly incorporated in or superceded by a product from the oil companies.

KrexInc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Hi all!

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions... It has been a bit of a hectic day. And, Aaron Rodgers is my fantasy QB. So, I have been a bit preoccupied.

In regard to SFVetteman's post, he is correct in that graphite is no longer used by the US Air Force. However, the US Air Force did not find that graphite itself caused corrosion. They did find that, in the presence of seawater, graphite lubricants used on gaskets increased corrosion. Since I am not a metallurgist, I will defer this conversation to one:

"While the anodizing does indeed act as a good barrier, in the long term the absence of corrosion would depend on the absence of corrosive ions. Graphite is not corrosive in itself towards aluminum, but in the presence of chloride ions (such as from sea-water or marine atmosphere) it can cause galvanic (bimetallic) corrosion to occur. The anodizing will however prevent the chloride ions from reaching the metal substrate for a long time - perhaps several years. So there should be no concern with moisture alone, but if chloride is present, there might be long-term concern."
    John E. Leitch
    Hulett Aluminium - Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Because I do have a background in engine component manufacturing processes, I do know that all engine components - especially aluminum ones - have been hardened (whether anodized like detailed in the quote above, heat treated, or some method). Basically, aluminum is very soft and malleable and if not hardened, would not work well as an engine component. So, all aluminum engine components have the additional corrosion barrier as detailed in the quote above.

I can imagine that the US Air Force equipment is much more likely to be exposed to seawater. But, I cannot imagine that the internal components of your engine will be exposed to seawater. So, I think you are safe. (Personally, I have never seen an engine rust from the inside out.)

Also, SFVetteman is correct in that engineers are using more aluminum today in engine components and parts - primarily for its lighter weight. (CAFE legislation is mandating that engineers figure out a way to build lighter, more fuel efficient engines.) But, combining several alloys using powdered / sintered metals (e.g. FP Diesel, etc.) are becoming even more common. Many valve seats and guides are made of sintered metal today. Many of these powdered / sintered metals contain (you guessed it) Graphite:

"Graphite is well known as a solid lubricant and its presence in aluminium alloy matrices makes the alloy, self-lubricating. Aluminium alloys reinforced with graphite fibers are emerging as potential structural materials for aerospace needs and their outstanding mechanical properties have drawn considerable scientific attention to the exploration of their possible applicability to high-technology naval applications [23, 24]. Aluminium alloys dispersed with graphite particles are known as potential materials for tribiological applications such as bearings, bushings, pistons, etc [25-28]. The reason for the excellent tribiological properties of graphitic aluminium is that aluminium alloy matrix yields at low stresses and deforms extensively, which enhances the deformation and fragmentation of the surface and sub-surface graphite particles even after short running-in period. This provides a continuous film of graphite on the mating surfaces which, essentially, prevents metal to metal contact and hence prevents seizure."
    -Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 6 (2011) 1085 - 1099 International Journal of ELECTROCHEMICAL SCIENCE
    Effects of Graphite on the Corrosion Behavior of Aluminum-Graphite Composite in Sodium Chloride Solutions
    El-Sayed M. Sherif 1,3,*, A. A. Almajid 1,2, Fahamsyah Hamdan Latif 1, Harri Junaedi

So, is anyone into reducing metal on metal contact? In a nutshell, unless you are planning to off-road your Caddy under sea (and let that seawater seep into your engine), I think you are all good... In fact, we'll guarantee it

Best,
    Aimee Head

Bill Rubeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Krex is snake oil. Of no use to in a GM engine. In fact, as of 4/2014. I have found several shops offering a tire warranty if Krex is used in the oil change. This has been verified. Why would an engine additive offer a tire repair/replacement warranty instead of an engine warranty?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.