Rear Windshield Wiper stuck at mid position
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Rear Windshield Wiper stuck at mid position in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi all, I've been fortunate to not have many issues with my CPO 07 SRX4. I returned yesterday from a ...
    acmonster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX AWD

Rear Windshield Wiper stuck at mid position

Hi all,

I've been fortunate to not have many issues with my CPO 07 SRX4. I returned yesterday from a long weekend of driving, and this morning it was raining. Per usual i switched on my rear windshield wiper (the intermittent setting) and it performed a full wipe, but stopped at 10 o clock, rather than settling back down. It then stopped working. using the switch to turn it off an on again would return it to it's resting position, but then it would do one full sweep and get stuck again. The constant setting had the same effect. Any ideas? Do i need to take this in? I didn't get a chance to play around with the arm to see if it was stuck or if there was something it was hitting.

Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

conedoctor is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Re: Rear Windshield Wiper stuck at mid position

Sounds like it lost the correct home position.

Is is possible it has turned on the shaft and the arm has moved?

I don't think that the shaft has moved since it will actually return to the home position when i turn the wiper on and off. I was thinking that maybe it just needs some lubrication, as if maybe it encounters some resistance and stops. Any harm in squirting some WD40 at the shaft?

glake89 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 srx awd v6, 07 Solstice GXP

From the SM; The rear wiper motor module is part of the rear wiper motor assembly and controls wiper motor operation. Battery voltage supplied to the wiper motor assembly is used to operate the wiper motor in all modes and to return the rear wiper arm to the park position after the ignition is turned off. Accessory voltage supplied to the rear wiper/washer switch is used to supply the rear wiper switch signal circuits and the rear washer pump. When the rear wiper switch is in the DELAY position the accessory voltage to the rear wiper/washer switch is closed to the wiper switch signal circuit. The accessory voltage on the wiper switch signal circuit causes the wiper motor module to operate the wiper motor in the DELAY mode. The rear washer control circuit is used to provide the operating voltage for the rear washer pump for as long as the rear washer switch is pressed. The rear washer control circuit is also used as a wash signal to the rear wiper motor module. When the rear wiper/washer switch or ignition switch is turned OFF during a rear wiper motor cycle, the park switch within the wiper motor assembly supplies battery voltage to continue wiper motor operation until the wiper motor reaches the park position and the switch opens.

I think your problem is with the 'park switch'. Good luck with that!

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods

Over the years, I’ve found that many 12v things do funny things when the ground is not very good. This may well be your problem. If your up to removing the trim to access the wiper motor assembly, look for corrosion on the ground strap (if present) attachment points , removing the mounting screws to look for hidden corrosion. Loosen and remove the mounting screws, one at a time and look for corrosion. Pull the electrical connector off the motor and clean those contacts.

This might well solve the problem

Bill

I will try to remove the trim and take a look at it. If i don't feel comfortable, i'll have to schedule an appointment with the dealer. This weekend, during the rain, the wiper worked again for 2 cycles. I started to tell my friend that it magically worked again, and then on the third sweep it stopped mid position again and stopped working. Very well might be a grounding issue.

Adam

haneezain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX AWD

Unhappy Re: Rear Windshield Wiper stuck at mid position

Same problem with my 2005 SRX...it seems to have a mind of its own. When I turn it on and off it it stops immediately and what ever position I turn off the switch. When I turn on the Intermittent it continues running several times then stops and starts again. It will completely stop only after I shut off the engine. Is this a motor issue or electrical? Thanks

I ended up not finding anything conclusive myself. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the motor under warranty. It took them almost 3 weeks to get a motor in, but that's a different story. That fixed the issue, however it is starting to make noise now, and i wonder if these issues will come back. There might be something faulty in the wiring or grounding after all. But as long as it's under warranty, it's their problem.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I would replace the motor with a good used one. The job should not be too difficult - just remove inside liftgate panel and disconnect any wire connections.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Haneezain,
    Welcome to the forum! I would recommend visiting your local dealer to have them diagnose and/or repair the issue for you. If you would like I can set up an appointment for you just send me your name, phone number, VIN number an the name of the dealership.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Ufgators is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Srx

2010 SRX wiper stop working driving home yesterday in heavy rain
    My warrenty wont expired until Jan 2014. Is this under warrenty?

Quote Originally Posted by Ufgators View Post
    2010 SRX wiper stop working driving home yesterday in heavy rain
    My warrenty wont expired until Jan 2014. Is this under warrenty?
    Hello Ufgators,

I responded to your other post as well. Here is what I said:

I apologize that your wiper has stopped working in your SRX and that the green headlight indicator on the instrument panel illuminates. I am glad to hear that you are safe. Since you are still under warranty, I would suggest going to a dealership to have diagnosed. If it is considered a defect it will be covered under you bumper to bumper warranty. If you need any assistance in working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Ufgators is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Srx
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Hello Ufgators,

I responded to your other post as well. Here is what I said:

I apologize that your wiper has stopped working in your SRX and that the green headlight indicator on the instrument panel illuminates. I am glad to hear that you are safe. Since you are still under warranty, I would suggest going to a dealership to have diagnosed. If it is considered a defect it will be covered under you bumper to bumper warranty. If you need any assistance in working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thank you so much. Val Ward Cadi replaced the wiper motor. But, for the green headlight indicator the technician said it was designed that way. If I buy extended warranty online will my local dealer have the info in their computer if I need repai? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ufgators View Post
    Thank you so much. Val Ward Cadi replaced the wiper motor. But, for the green headlight indicator the technician said it was designed that way. If I buy extended warranty online will my local dealer have the info in their computer if I need repai? Thanks
    Hello Ufgators,

You are welcome! I am glad to hear that your dealership replaced the wiper motor! Extended warranties that are sold through the dealerships are from different companies, and the best course of action would be to contact your dealership in regards to extended warranties. If you are speaking about the GMPP, that is an extended service contract and not an extended warranty. The GMPP would be tied to your VIN and the dealership would be able to see that in their computer. I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.